PDA

View Full Version : Acid doesnt necessarily have to be TB-303

Analog.1
08-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Whats your favourite acid tracks what dont use a TB-303 or a fake variant?

One of my favourite non tb-303 acid tunes is Energy Flash. I class that as acid techno, do you agree?

AcidTrash
09-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Acid Techno is an attitude not a genre.

Adey
24-12-2005, 04:51 PM
I used to agree but now I 100% disagree.

acid techno is one of two things... music with a 303 or a 'label' misacquired by 4 or 5 london producers on one label, who call any track with their type of percussion 'acid techno' for marketing reasons... it only works because virtually nobody else puts out anything with 303s in it anymore - unless its got an oldskool flavour. The rest of the world have moved onto broader use of analogue and range of percussion arrangements like the stuff put out by Dahlback+Krome, LFO, Tube Jerk, Jason Leach... Hydraulix or Powertools may have excellent discographies but it ain't 'acid' despite the London stamp of authentisity.

I don't agree with 'acid techno is not a sound its an attitude', either... maybe if you've got very narrow taste in techno and haven't been to any other parties. .. especially in London there are many other parties that are more underground and definately less violent + more friendly.

djfase
24-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Violence and attitude at techno parties?

Never experienced any of that before at techno parties

xes
24-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Violence and attitude at techno parties?

Never experienced any of that before at techno parties you don't go to london parties*very often then :lol:

Saying acid techno doesn't have to have 303 in it,is like saying "you don't have to be mad to work here"......

But it helps!!

*yes,I know some rigs are ok

AcidTrash
25-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Hydraulix or Powertools may have excellent discographies but it ain't 'acid' despite the London stamp of authentisity.

I've always thought of powertools and hydraulix as acid techno.

dan the acid man
25-12-2005, 02:06 AM
it's all just techno

Adey
25-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I've always thought of powertools and hydraulix as acid techno.

Just Jedi mind tricks, mate because its got that SUF london sound to the percussion. It fits nicely with acid tracks by the same producers but the catalogue itself isn't.

mr burns
25-12-2005, 02:34 PM
i have always hydraulix raw powertools ect techno, and stuff with the 303 acid,

xes
25-12-2005, 09:24 PM
i have always hydraulix raw powertools ect techno, and stuff with the 303 acid, indeedy,IMO acid techno has a 303 in it,it's why it's called acid,the acid line-the 303 squiggle- yo mummas big fat 303 baseline. And it's what I love about acid.

bow chi bow chi bow,thats acid.

If someone can point out to me why sauy for instance (tune picked at random) Dogs-Cluster #74 how is that acid? Where in there is anything to give an indication that it's acid techno? Yet it's labeled up as techno/acid. I don't get how or why.

Can someone enlighten this misguided (slightly drunk) acid fule.

AcidTrash
26-12-2005, 03:43 AM
it's all just techno

here here

AcidTrash
26-12-2005, 04:06 AM
more to the point... Who cares?

Metadog
27-12-2005, 02:51 AM
for me wot makes the difference between acid techno and techno is progression and punctuation - energetic techno tracks that progress and are puntuated (eg with fills & tricks) i'd call acid techno, whether there is a 303 in them or not

matthies
27-12-2005, 02:37 PM
weird discussion .... 303 = acid and no more words imo

:]

boozed
27-12-2005, 06:38 PM
where are you all going then??

Deviant Idol
27-12-2005, 09:25 PM
I remember awhile ago, that Rowland the Bastard said if any record does not have a 303 in it, then it's just techno. The reason behind that is, every Techno/Acid Techno producer in the True Love Collective, already have labels that can be called 100% ACID Techno. Then there are labels like Hydraulix, RAW, Powertools, Max/Min, No Entry, Cluster, Super Conductor, and 4x4 all which have no 303's in them, so those labels can be labeled a different genre.

There are so many great acid techno labels out there, and it's also great that they've made labels that make hard, stomping techno. Because I've spun a set with 100% 303 laced records, and the acid lines can get played out after awhile.

fresh_an_funky_design
28-12-2005, 02:17 PM
i think acid techno used to be 303 end of, but now it has definetly moved into being more of an attitude or scene. I've had quite a few people describe my label (more punk than funk) as being an 'acid techno label' even though we've never released anything with a 303 in it. i'd say the same goes for 'kick the drum' as well

Metadog
28-12-2005, 08:18 PM
say you've got a record that has got a 303 line that comes in about half way thru the track, maybe in the breakdown

would you count the whole track as being an acid techno track, or just the part of the record which actually has got a 303 playing?

i'd count the whole track as acid techno, which would mean that the part of the record that does not actually have a 303 playing on it would be acid techno, too

:cheese:

dan the acid man
28-12-2005, 08:31 PM
say you've got a record that has got a 303 line that comes in about half way thru the track, maybe in the breakdown

would you count the whole track as being an acid techno track, or just the part of the record which actually has got a 303 playing?

i'd count the whole track as acid techno, which would mean that the part of the record that does not actually have a 303 playing on it would be acid techno, too

:cheese:

haha, now were getting deep, im leaving now before it gets out of hand :lol:

Mindful
28-12-2005, 11:12 PM
I would personaly say that Acid techno does not need a 303 in it to be acid.
As Pete said who cares/its not important but of course to some it is so..........
To me its all about the sound,The straight percussion, the lay out of the track(sombody said somthing about the punctuation), a huge dancfloor riff, the rolling percussion, the use of the 808 and 909(alltho these sounds are caned thruout techno in genaral)

I suppose its hard to discribe.

You hear an acid track/set and you just know its bloody acid dont you?
A 303 does not define a whole genre its one instrument.

But then again can you class somthing as rock ifit does not contain a Guitar?

Bolloks to it when its acid techno its just acid techno and thats bloody it its like trying to difine why somthing is funky or why somthing is sexy?
Its about the feeling and attitude.

IMO

Mindful
28-12-2005, 11:17 PM
*Skulks off back too the techno forums*

Metadog
29-12-2005, 10:20 PM
lol

lets get the subterranean tunnelling device out and see how deep the acid techno hole really goes ... do ya want the red pill or the blue pill (or both double dropped?!?!) :shock:

anx
07-01-2006, 10:34 PM
i think the number of times this topic has come up is second only to the software vs hardware debate

davethedrummer
08-01-2006, 11:12 AM
this topic is a bit pointless isnt it?
there isn't really much to discuss .

dan the acid man
08-01-2006, 02:56 PM
can we talk about hardware 303's v software 303's now :oops: :paranoid:

rhythmtech
08-01-2006, 03:03 PM

uh oh

:paranoid:

Metadog
08-01-2006, 07:56 PM
lol

davethedrummer
09-01-2006, 10:39 AM

ok ...well personally i prefer the real 303 to the software version as it................................................ .................................................. .................................................o h **** it , fancy a pint anyone?

imported_sicknote
09-01-2006, 10:48 AM
at 10 on a monday morning?.....

sounds like a plan

christian wagner
09-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Same applies to"funky techno" really

Some people class funky techno as london acid stuff, which is correct, others class hydraulix & RAW as funky, which is also correct, then some people think that more minimal techno is funky - when its just a load of clattering sounds, which from hearing it, is NOT funky at all!

When someone asks me what i make & play i say "techno; acid, funky hard stuff" then they go "oh"

:lol:

dan the acid man
09-01-2006, 08:15 PM
someone stick two unlimited on the jukebox then :cheese:

davethedrummer
09-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Same applies to"funky techno" really

Some people class funky techno as london acid stuff, which is correct, others class hydraulix & RAW as funky, which is also correct, then some people think that more minimal techno is funky - when its just a load of clattering sounds, which from hearing it, is NOT funky at all!

When someone asks me what i make & play i say "techno; acid, funky hard stuff" then they go "oh"

:lol:

well what else do you want them to say:

" oh yeah! shag me baby! "

" wow , i can't wait fall headlong into a puddle of piss to that!"

" jesus , no way , all those styles at the same time !!!"

normally when someone asks me what i play
i say " techno , funky , hard , acid , know what i mean?"

and they go:

"oh"

anx
09-01-2006, 10:34 PM
do they always say "oh" or do they change it up every now and then?

hilarious

christian wagner
10-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Well they go "oh" in a bemused / confused sorta way cos they aint got a clue what any of it is, this is mainly said in conversation to folk at my uni who are in rock bands / into hip hop / other...

Dont want or expect em to say anything really! up to them if they want to know more and are intrestred!

Other friends who are into happy hardcore go "thats shit" in reply to that i say "oh"

;) :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==