PDA

View Full Version : Holotropik - Machine is Broken

holotropik
12-12-2005, 08:14 AM
I have finished updating my hardware and this is the first track from this gear.

http://www.holotropik.com/Music/Machine_is_Broken_by_holotropik.mp3

I am not sure about whether or not it needs a breakdown in it or not?? I kinda like it to just keep driving without any definite breakdown, just the small breaks as I have here. I am trying to make it just trance out a bit and maybe leave it up to the DJ to make any changes or flourishes. I am also trying to make something to be good to listen to at home as well as work on tha floor. I would play this Live a bit differently of course - more simplified and play around with it.

This track is all about the machine (civilisation) being broken from lack of maintenance. It is darker than I have written in the past, but, that is my headspace now. I also wanted to make something that was brooding and more emotional. This is also the first track I have done which is sequenced rather than played Live. I sequenced it on the machines and then recorded it with Live effects as the machines played back the sequence.

It will be part of my next LivePA set called "Welcome to the End" which I did a bit of in October for a small gig in melbourne, but, I didnt have all my new gear for that one so it was only a roughy. Now i can finish this set off properly.

dirty_bass
12-12-2005, 02:12 PM
I`m listening to this on really bad phones, so I won`t comment on production till I get back to the studio.
However as a tune this is cool.
I found it very dramatic, and interesting, the brooding nature comes across well, and this would be great in a nice dark Sci Fi console game.
I think it maybe loops a bit too long in places, but essentially this is very nice, and has individuality and personality that separates it from the general by-the-numbers techno that gets churned out these days.
Kind of reminds me of john carpenter, but a very modern version of his soundtrack work.

j_s
12-12-2005, 07:47 PM
feeling this. nice subtle percussive elements. very psychedelic. sound could perhaps have a bit more snap to it, and i think the lead that comes in around 4:00 could be ****ed around with more. othernthat its sick stuff.

xfive
12-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Pretty nice vibe overall.. Things stay interesting. Sound quality wise I'll have to check on the monitors when I get home, instead of these headphones.
Only thing I wasn't keen on was the cymbal usage... I don't feel it fits in at all. Try putting some other percussive element in there instead. Right now it's very raw and unprocessed.. almost makes the track sound dated.

my $0.02 ;)

dirty_bass
14-12-2005, 02:15 PM
forgot to check this out on the monitors.

Lovely this.
Nice width to the track, seems like you have covered the full range and it gives this a very professional feel.
I agree with X5, the main hi hat doesn`t sit right. It may just be that you have emphasised it with the eq in a bad place. It seems to be over resonant.
Things do get crowded later on, so I would suggest cutting things down a bit more withy subtractive eq, so they all sit together more comfortably.

the kick could be clearer, I think it`s fighting with the bass a bit, so I think emphasising the kick in the mid-high bass region, and then letting the sub sit underneath ir may clear this up.

But I still like the track. It has elements of progressive house, as well as techno, and some dark-cintematic vibes too, but it all fits together nicely.

Good track.

xfive
14-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Well I was speaking more of the cymbal that comes in now and again at the end of a bar... but yeah the hat needs some work too

holotropik
14-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Sweet!!
I have had others say the same thing about the hatz so I will modify some more. I will also play a bit with the layout too as I have had a chance for it to sit for a while and would like to change it a bit before it goes online.
Your feedback is appreciated immensely.

Cheers,
Glen.

holotropik
24-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Final version is complete.

http://www.holotropik.com/Music/Machine_is_Broken_by_holotropik_edit2.mp3

Changes made to structure, hatz (incl the crash and snare). I also spent a lot of time with the mastering to set-up the cross-over, multi-band comp and para-EQ. I managed to get the bassline to stand more on its own.

The structure is less 'proggy' and more formalised i guess. I was trying to get an arrangement that has as wide an appeal as possible without heading into cheese territory and remaining original and non-conformist.

Cheers,
Glen.

278d7e64a374de26f==