PDA

View Full Version : Kraftwerk

baconstyle
12-12-2005, 10:15 PM
I listened to Kraftwerk yesterday for the first time in close to 10 years. While they are definitely cheesy, I cannot get over how much I still enjoy their work!

baconstyle
12-12-2005, 10:39 PM
"I'm the operator of my pocket calculator"
doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo doo

Sunil
12-12-2005, 10:56 PM
I'm sick of the ****ers to be honest! Sure, I love what they've done and enjoyed seeing them play, but I've had enough for the time being. Burn the robots! :rambo:

baconstyle
12-12-2005, 11:08 PM
I can see how one would annoyed with it, but come on! It's so cheesy its cool.... :dance: :dance:

Sunil
12-12-2005, 11:27 PM
I can see how one would annoyed with it, but come on! It's so cheesy its cool.... :dance: :dance:

It's cool no doubt, but I've had a gutful of the big push by EMI recently, it's got boring. I mean they've always been there, the hits have always been there; and a live album, Tour De France reworks and a show (that you only need to see once) can only go so far. My opinion hasn't changed on them, they're still great, just not exciting or essential listening for me right now :)

Sunil
12-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Although if you hadn't listened to them in 10 years I can see how you might be buzzing on them again ;)

baconstyle
13-12-2005, 12:42 AM
damn straight

SlavikSvensk
13-12-2005, 07:13 PM
computer world, man machine, and radioactivity are all glorious albums.

Francisco Scaramanga
16-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Some of it is cheesy I guess, but some of their stuff is pretty dark as well I always thought. Radioactivity always gives me the creeps, the geiger counter intro, all the weirdness and dark atmospherics with the synths, and strange germanic voices talking about radioactivity floating through the air for you and me. Quite scary stuff in a way I reckon. I have never been a huge fan, so I've never got burned out on them, I just enjoy listening to them from time to time.

I often think though - what must the world of thought back in 1975 or whatever when autobahn hit the charts, no doubt completely out of the blue for most people? I mean, most people had probably never heard ANYTHING like that, some had probably never heard a synthesizer before. Must have been pretty mindblowing to say the least. Maybe one day we will all get a shock like that!

Mindful
17-12-2005, 12:09 AM
Computer world is top class, some of the tracks can still be played in a set today.
Rubbish and boring fact ...... Trans europe express was made the year I was born(1977)
As was star wars as was Nevermind the bollox and Elvis died but thats another geeky convo for another day

The Divide
17-12-2005, 12:42 AM
I can remember having a really old school deck bought for me in a car boot sale for a few quid (didnt even have pitch control) . Anyways one day I stumbled across 'the model' on 7" in the attic. I must have been somewhere around 6-10 years old and couldnt believe my ears when I put that on. It sounded soo futuristic, I had never heard anything like it (my old folks listened elvis, beach boys and the likes) :lol:

paper
20-02-2006, 07:09 AM
After tribal gathering I made it essential that i saw kraftwerk once again and last year i did. I'm so glad. Although on their account it was a unceremonious occassion I could see from the crowed how much of a presence they have. but I personally think they have not done such a great job upgrading to the present. Their values and way of thinking does seem a little cheesy now, well more out of place.

Love em
Always will
Music Non Stop

force
01-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Yea, i saw them at tribal, and caught them again at brixton academy not long ago.

I used to 'Dance'!!! to 'The Model' at the school disco when i was 11.

Also, try and check out old 'Live kraftwerk videos', where they dance on stage!!!!
pocket calculator springs to mind....hilarious

davethedrummer
11-06-2006, 01:52 AM
i was listening to kraftwerk when i was 12 years old on my headphones at home
some things just sit in your mind forever.
i can never get bored of them , because they really said something to me then.

i never even realised at that time that their music was experimental
in fact i didn't even know what experimental music was

i just listened and absorbed

ignorance is bliss

djfilthmonger
15-06-2006, 12:47 AM
i only started listening to them last summer .first time i taught what da hell. but they grow on me and i seen them at electric picnic festival in sept. very laid back stuff. stoner music you might say.

FILTERZ
26-03-2007, 11:14 AM
No Kraftwerk = No Techno

eyeswithoutaface
27-03-2007, 09:35 PM
No Kraftwerk = No Techno

exactly

never, ever, ever, ever get bored of Kraftwerk, their work literaly is too perfect to get bored of for me, absolutely stunning. Kraftwerk are one of my biggest influences and they have been the soundtrack to seminal moments and phases in my life, getting to see them a couple of years back was quite simply mindblowing. Incredible people with incredible minds, it'l be a sad day when they slip off the mortal coil

DJsmallpaul
27-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Quality group :cool:

Little_Fella!
31-03-2007, 04:26 AM
This thread still on the go? Good...:cool:

I listen to 'The Model' at least once a week...

The mood is quite dark I think, which captures the essence of the idea behind the tune... lovely:;

davethedrummer
02-04-2007, 02:14 PM
i played " the robots " in a club in sau paulo yesterday
last tune of the night
and i loved every minute of it.

eyeswithoutaface
03-04-2007, 12:40 AM
i may aswell upload my "Tour De France" cover version, yes that's right folks cover version, for you all to enjoy
http://www.iterativemusic.com/~scottg/music/Tour_De_France_Texture_Re-Edit.mp3

no samples here chaps, worked everything out and sequenced it out, even the speech :)

i know, im ****ing smart

force
03-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Nice, but at the end of the day, its futile trying to cover ANY of Kraftwerks' output.

eyeswithoutaface
03-04-2007, 07:19 PM
well not if it brings you personal gratification. Which it did :)

force
03-04-2007, 08:33 PM
well not if it brings you personal gratification. Which it did :)

Cool

Eddowion
12-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Some of it is cheesy I guess, but some of their stuff is pretty dark as well I always thought. Radioactivity always gives me the creeps, the geiger counter intro, all the weirdness and dark atmospherics with the synths, and strange germanic voices talking about radioactivity floating through the air for you and me. Quite scary stuff in a way I reckon. I have never been a huge fan, so I've never got burned out on them, I just enjoy listening to them from time to time.

I often think though - what must the world of thought back in 1975 or whatever when autobahn hit the charts, no doubt completely out of the blue for most people? I mean, most people had probably never heard ANYTHING like that, some had probably never heard a synthesizer before. Must have been pretty mindblowing to say the least. Maybe one day we will all get a shock like that!

Hi I bought the album in august 75, i loved the single but thought the album pants, most boring thing i'd ever heard. strangely enough, as there was no obvious category for it, it was marketed as a rock album.........needless to say, i don't have it now............ed

Smear
14-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Incidentally, dunno if you've seen this already:

http://dimmuborghild.blogspot.com/2006/07/kraftwerk-k4-bremen-radio-1971.html

Old Kraftwerk session featuring members of Neu!, pretty far from how they're seen now. Pretty good.

278d7e64a374de26f==