PDA

View Full Version : videoclips to techno music ?

orac
13-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Do you remember any ? I need this to my work and now I can only mention about Knights Of The Jaguar and some AFX stuff (but forgot track titles, this sick video with child, what was the name ot track?). Anything more maybe ?

thanks

alsynthe
13-12-2005, 01:08 PM
all aphex twin stuff had videos

MARKEG
13-12-2005, 03:09 PM
oh yeah there's been loads over the years. i remember seeing the beltram gameform video (or was it forklift) posted here a while back. i actually remember once getting a steve stoll vhs through once of acid farm and then the other day i got the gigolos dvd with absolutely tonnes of videos on.

wenna
13-12-2005, 04:28 PM
autechre have a dvd out aswell, grantz_graf i think it is :paranoid:

orac
13-12-2005, 06:56 PM
yeah gantz graf, it was awesome !
thanks for refreshing my memory :)

alsynthe
13-12-2005, 07:08 PM
check out the warp dvd's, the best of chris cunningham dvd is awesome!!!

djshiva
13-12-2005, 09:12 PM
gantz graf is probably the sickest piece of computer artwork i have ever seen. period. i saw the video for that track on 3 big screens with a huge soundsystem attached. i think i fried some circuitry in the noggin...

machina
13-12-2005, 11:26 PM
i remember seeing a dave angel one years ago when i was travelling somewhere... think it was for 'funk music'

machina

The Overfiend
14-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Kevin Saunderson's Xmix Video
The Forklift video was ill.

eyeswithoutaface
14-12-2005, 10:07 AM
really not into all the warp video's, The Autechre dvd is great, but i think sometimes with stuff like Warp the idea's behind the video's often, for me anyway, distract from the music. They are great video's no doubt, people love them, just not my cup of tea at all.

yeah Forklift vid is sick, and the new Collabs video is interesting

ampassasinbirmingham
14-12-2005, 01:40 PM
i got these vids if u want them

mills- the bells
beltram- gameform
knights of the jaguar
man with the red face
sound of the big babou

these are also cool little promo's
http://www.henrikb.com/henrik_b-promena-ill1213-high-quality.wmv
http://www.henrikb.com/henrikb-manwolf-ill1212.wmv
http://www.elpmedien.com/video/Henrik_B-The_Wound-promovideo.wmv

orac
14-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks! I saw most of the vids from your list, but thank you :)

And do you know maybe if this techno videos (like the bells, knights..., gameform) were ever transmitted in TV or are they just used as a Internet promotion? This is also important for me :)

cheers

alsynthe
14-12-2005, 04:17 PM
aphex twin- rubber johnny is probably the best music video ive ever seen

www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/rubberjohnny.html

ampassasinbirmingham
14-12-2005, 06:22 PM
ive seen them all on late night myv. come to think of it there r loads.

i saw a luke slater vid on mtv. i saw a video for funk void's-diablo, acid casuals-code and a few more that escape me.

oldbugger
14-12-2005, 06:24 PM
i have quite a few on my pc...i'll have a nosey and tell u what i got.

got hours of hawtin if your interested in that too.

crime
16-12-2005, 12:57 AM
I first heard Cristian Vogel's "Bite and Scratch" on late night MTV....

distek
16-12-2005, 03:24 PM
got hours of hawtin if your interested in that too.

Does that mean you've spend hours watchin him then .... eh.. :roll:

Fan
16-12-2005, 04:28 PM
I saw a video for the new Speedy J and Chris Liebing track the other night , it looked great and was also the first time hearing any of the new tracks (Whens the album out?)
The video to Ken Ishii - "Extra" is quality too . I think I remember seeing one for Jeff Mills - "The Extremist"

You can catch the occasional techno video on "120 minutes of electronic" on Mtv2

Analog.1
18-12-2005, 03:30 AM
The videos to lots of them techno tracks remind me of the stuff that is from the computer demo scene (if you dont know what the demo scene is google it). You can download demos that show off your computers hardware here, some of the demos are totally amazing but you will more than likely need a fastish gfx card to view them. Download some demos from [url]www.scene.org

rotten
18-12-2005, 02:25 PM
I think I remember seeing one for Jeff Mills - "The Extremist"

i saw waveform transmission 3 (life cycle re-edit to be exactly). minimal and awesome!

FIK
18-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Has anyone seen the X-mix compilations? Watched them for hours, back then. Hawtin, Garnier, Saunderson......

danielmarshall
21-12-2005, 11:41 AM
This is one area I see potential for great innovation in the future. In his Exhibitionist interview Mills was talking about his desire to see electronic music artists progressing toward being multimedia artists instead. A few people have been taking this path for example Steve Lawler, Chemical Brothers and Underworld, but I think it's far from where it could be.

Buttman
21-12-2005, 02:07 PM
How is the video for Knights Of The Jaguar? I never saw that one.
The Bells is just silly =)

oldbugger
23-12-2005, 08:04 AM
How is the video for Knights Of The Jaguar? I never saw that one.
The Bells is just silly =)

i'm sure i posted the link in the filez section not so long ago.
i'll have a look and see if its still a good link. if not i'll upload when i got some spare time.

oldbugger
23-12-2005, 08:09 AM
here you go http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=XO8KW1IC

The Divide
25-12-2005, 06:17 AM
The best video I have seen is one that Si Beg did, its a DVD of live video and sound editing. He takes a really old copywrite free moie and mashed it up andding sounds and music to it. The DVD also comes with copywirte free samples although we couldnt find them

I will find the name for it

danielmarshall
25-12-2005, 12:13 PM
All of the Sven Vath video clips I've seen are rubbish. Then again I don't really like his music either :/

TheRev
28-12-2005, 02:54 PM
MTV used to have a show called Amp that showed electronic music videos blended together. I want to say that Coldcut had something to do with blending the videos. They'd show stuff by Underworld, Future Sound of London, Josh Wink, Carl Craig, Roni Size, Eat Static, Meat Beat Manifesto, DHS. Some serious good stuff.

Underworld has a VHS out there of their videos called Footwear Repair for Competitive Craftsmen (or something of the sort) Lots of typography wierdness in some of them.

Dave Elyzium
28-12-2005, 03:08 PM
vague memories of Dave Clarkes X-Mix vid...loads greys having a party on the moon...was awesome

Dave Elyzium
28-12-2005, 03:09 PM
btw tune was LFO _ we Are Back

The Divide
30-12-2005, 01:19 AM
The best video I have seen is one that Si Beg did, its a DVD of live video and sound editing. He takes a really old copywrite free moie and mashed it up andding sounds and music to it. The DVD also comes with copywirte free samples although we couldnt find them

I will find the name for it

HO FUN : Charade The Demix
NOODLES
DVD : £8.99 : low stock
09/09/2005

First in a series of six DVDs from The Ho Fun Department of The Noodles Foundation, the label started by Si Begg. This one features Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant as you've never seen them before, starring in the 60's spy thriller 'Charade' but distilled into a 10th of their original narrative size. Audio elements from Si Begg accompany this media mashup, plus a collection of copyright free audio and visual samples for your own uses! For anyone unfamiliar with the Ho Fun experience, this is quite unlike anything else, but will appeal to fans of Coldcut/Hexstatic, Labland and the audiovisual genre. A limited release, the next of which will be a remix of Si Begg's "Revolution/Revalation" starring William Shatner.

detfella
30-12-2005, 03:11 AM
i am in love with those hofun av remixes : )

on the back of #2 it says to expect a dvd-eps very soon and a full length dvd album in 2006 !!

tocsin
03-01-2006, 07:15 PM
The best videos I've seen for "techno" are put out by the demo scene. It's a true marriage of technology to make something beutifiul in that everything is programmed, including the visuals (numbers, not fancy pre-made computer filters). One of my personal favs:

http://acidgrave.gabber.org/flash/kewlers-we_cell.swf

It has a good track score and some awesome visuals. I recomend downloading the program so you can run it full screen. The above link is just a streaming video that is actually a larger download than the program itself. (18 megs vs. about 2 megs if I recall correctly).

BTW, the demo is called "We Cell" and can be snagged from here:
http://kewlers.scene.org/prods.html

I recomend pretty much everything these guys have done as it's all both aurally and visually pleasing. It's a shame the group split.

danielmarshall
12-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Yeah you're totally right tocsin. I was part of the demo scene about 10 years ago (programming and art). This was when being a nerd was a bad thing, and thus not having your art recognised as art. Head on over to some of the demo scene dump sites (haven't been there in years, so I can't tell you any offhand) and look for stuff by the Future Crew. Just appreciate that most of the code there was written to run on 386s, Amigas or Atari STs, not the latest processors with NO graphics acceleration or even drivers! Just native raw ASM. It's interesting that some of the most tallented game engine programmers out there have origionated from this online community (most notably the guys from Epic Megagames - some of the old Future Crew and later authors of the Unreal series).

I'm considering putting on a mulitmedia exhibtion in an art gallery or museam one day when I have the cash to try and get some exposure and recognition for this incredibly inventive underground art form.

danielmarshall
12-01-2006, 01:05 PM
http://acidgrave.gabber.org/flash/kewlers-we_cell.swf

An interesting application of particle systems/ billboarding.

The last "modern" demo that really made me draw my breath was Heaven 7. Realtime raytracing done nearly 7 years ago (though released in 2000). Brilliant stuff. Oh, and no OpenGL used here either. All graphics and sound libraries were hand coded.

Get it here:

http://users.tpg.com.au/edjenny/Daniel/misc/h7-final.zip

tocsin
12-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Cool, Dan. I'll check that out when I get home. I'm aware of future crew. I used to have a section on my dial-up BBS for demos back in the early to mid 90s. Some awesome stuff back then and so damn small. And, yeah, ran absolutely fine on my crappy 386-SX with no special videocard. I just started checking out the demo scene again recently and I'm quite floored with what's being done today. People aren't coding it in ASM anymore though? That was what I always thought was so damn cool about it.

As for exposure, if you're still doing this stuff, send something to Breakpoint. It's on Easter weekend. I'm planning on submitting a streaming audio music file for the competition while taking roughly a week or twos vacation around the demo party. Supposedly a number of gaming industry types watch that particular party and others for new creations/artists.

tocsin
12-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Breakpoint info:
http://breakpoint.untergrund.net/

tocsin
13-01-2006, 03:32 AM
Thanks for posting that, Daniel. I'd actually been looking for that one but didn't know the name. I'd come into it in progress on the demoscene.tv channel. I love the musical score.

BTW, if you haven't checked it out, grab the latest version of Winamp, open the Media Library, go to "Shoutcast TV" and check out the "demoscene.TV" stations. 24/7 streams of demos.

danielmarshall
13-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Sorry, I don't have braudband internet ( :( ), but thanks for the link. I'll be sure to check it out when I get it one day. I must be the only person in a developed country without a connection faster tha 4kb/s.

I gave up demo coding a couple of years ago when chip architecture became overwealmingly complex and therefor very hard to optimise in ASM. Any given C compiler will outstrip all but the brainiest ASM guru nowadays. Around this time OpenGL and DirectX started becoming popular too. Most of the fun for me was interfacing with the hardware directly and writing my own graphics libraries, not using somebody elses. When hardware accelerated libraries arrived I felt that I could never really write another demo for current computers since the graphics hardware imposed constraints on how you could render objects. eg, you couldn't implement Phong materials, a raytraced shader or advanced shadow effects like the ones you see in that demo no matter how much you wanted to. If the extension didn't exist, then it couldn't be done. Technical creativity became highly limited unless you were up for coding completely unaccelerated graphics libraries which would have then been moving backwards IMO. New technologies like programmable pixel shaders are changing all this, so I'm starting to get interested again.

I flirted with the idea of reverting back to ZX81 assembly language (ZX Spectrum 48 etc.) and then coding stuff for that, but I didn't have the time or patience.. God I hated waiting 15 minutes for tapes to load. You know some brainy guy actually pulled off Wolfenstein 3D on that processor.. that's 48kb of MEMORY, not storage space! In terms of storage space minimalism I've seen a 128 byte fire demo!!! MS reckon you need a gig of ram to run the new Windows at a decent pace. Go figure

tocsin
13-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Word. I never learned ASM but was always fascinated by it. I kinda understood some programs, and learned how to do some basic useless ones through peaking at other source codes. Most of the ASM source codes I had were for viruses though. Still, the coding in some was absolutely fascinating. The graphics demos I had which came with a source were really kinda beyond my understanding at the time. But, it was cool as hell to compile them down and see how little space and memory they took up, and what they did. Something I wish I'd always gotten into but, at the same time, with anything visual I'm pretty much all thumbs anyways. ;) But, when it comes to pure "techno," I think the demo scene is pretty much the pinnacle of tying everything together where, aside from the end product, the audio and the source code are works of art on their own. Makes a lot of the snobbery displayed by people using shit like Cubase or all hardware just to make dance music seem pre-school. ;)

Anyways, think about Breakpoint if you can do it. The Gathering happens during the week beforehand but, from what I've read, has turned more into a massive lan party than a demo competition. Either way, I'll likely check out both. They seem to have the same spirit of "rave" that is so gone from where I am now which should make it that much more fun.

danielmarshall
14-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Rave to grave... Ecstasy for everybody! PLUR! :lol:.

Yup... as cheesy as it sounds to say it now, I really miss the rave culture of by-gone years. There was that an air of excitement that just isn't at magor music festivals any longer, just like the magic in the demo scene has faded. I think it's because we know exactly what to expect when we go out to a dance party or download a newish demo. I think the primary reason for this, appart from the stuff I mentioned boils down to hero worship not wanting to stand out in the crowd. Back in the day everybody wanted to be like Tran, and all the demos ended up looking like Triton's stuff.. the same with music nowadays. Notice how techno is converging more and more to a couple of singularities within their each sungere? Time for a sea change. I wonder what the next crazy underground culture I'll get into next will be.

By the way, Assembly is still happening in Helsinki. Check out their website:

www.assembly.org

278d7e64a374de26f==