PDA

View Full Version : anyone here have insurance on their studio?

tekara
14-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Im noticing that over the years, my studio is now expanding more and more....

i never would of thought when i first started enjoying this hobby that it would get so expensive, and now when i look at my studio with the computer, the screens, the monitors, the controllers, the drum machines, the synthesizers etc etc, im starting to play with the thought of MAYBE getting it.

The idea didnt come into my attention until recently when a fellow friend of mine had his entire house ransacked in broad daylight and the thieves got off scott free with all of his equipment. He lives in the suburbs where these things rarely happen. I happen to live in the downtown core where although the area im in is not bad, its definately no Beverly Hills 90210 area too. Alot of crackheads and stuff around my area.

This made me wonder whether any of you hard core vintage gear collectors bother with paying an annual insurance premium on your stuff? Is it worth it, or do you guys take the chance?

I should maybe look more into it sometime this week....

I have four Technic 1200MKII turntables, a pioneer DJM-600, Fostex PMII speaker monitors, midi controllers, Nord Lead keyboard, Access Virus KC, Roland SH-101, Mackie Control Universal, Mackie SR24-4, MOTU828, TC Electronics rebverb unit, Motu midi express, all of my records, my computer and software, etc etc....

I guess this is a very subjective topic, since many will say dont bother, while others may say its better to be safe than sorry.

Just wanted to see how you guys feel about it.

cheers

dirty_bass
14-12-2005, 10:11 AM
I have fairly substancial insurance, but really I`d be a fool not too.

Basil Rush
14-12-2005, 01:05 PM
I pay about 1% of the value of the kit a year for mine...sleep better for it.

Jay Pace
14-12-2005, 02:35 PM
I have insurance with Music Guard. I got it because every time i travel to play out I invariably take 2 grands worth of kit with me. And if I lost it I couldn't afford to replace it .

Get insurance. Sad fact of it is sooner or later you may get robbed, and getting brand spanking new stuff provides consolation in the event that shit happens.

tekara
14-12-2005, 03:49 PM
thanks for the quick responses

where did you guys get your coverage from? insurance companies or through the insurance department of a bank?

Jay Pace
14-12-2005, 03:55 PM
http://www.musicguard.co.uk/

I got this because I can insure stuff out of my home. If any of your studio travels (eg live kit) its a godsend.

Basil Rush
14-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Bank laughed at me. I'm using a company called Guildhall Brokers and Consultants.

278d7e64a374de26f==