PDA

View Full Version : Flowing/distorting sub bass

Tom @ Religion
14-12-2005, 10:13 AM
How do I make one of them proper rumbly but somehow really clear sounding sub basses? Been trying for ages with all sorts of synths samples and although I get near, never sounds anything like I want it to... Sure you know the sort of thing I mean. If not I'll try to get a sample... :D

loopdon
14-12-2005, 12:56 PM
How do I make one of them proper rumbly but somehow really clear sounding sub basses? Been trying for ages with all sorts of synths samples and although I get near, never sounds anything like I want it to... Sure you know the sort of thing I mean. If not I'll try to get a sample... :D

plz upload a sample :cheese:

danielmarshall
15-12-2005, 01:57 AM
I think I know the sound you mean. Depending on what synth you're using you could try playing around with the "unison" setting to detune mulitple copies of the same oscilator. Feeding saws in to this put through a parallel filter network of a low pass at around 150Htz (so you clip harmonics above middle C) and a notch filter centered around the upper high frequencies will typically give you what you're looking for. Adding chorus and a tiny touch of reverb can thicken the sound, but be vrey conservative here. Using your chorus completely wet will make your bassline quite unstable. A note on the reverb used: Don't try to get as smooth a reverb sound as possible i.e. use a diffusion percentage of around 50% or less otherwise things will sound muddy. Exciters can make a differnece too.

Is this (http://users.tpg.com.au/edjenny/Daniel/Audio/Deep%20sub%20with%20loose%20hihat_19.mp3) the kind of sound you mean?

loopdon
15-12-2005, 10:42 AM
I think I know the sound you mean. Depending on what synth you're using you could try playing around with the "unison" setting to detune mulitple copies of the same oscilator. Feeding saws in to this put through a parallel filter network of a low pass at around 150Htz (so you clip harmonics above middle C) and a notch filter centered around the upper high frequencies will typically give you what you're looking for. Adding chorus and a tiny touch of reverb can thicken the sound, but be vrey conservative here. Using your chorus completely wet will make your bassline quite unstable. A note on the reverb used: Don't try to get as smooth a reverb sound as possible i.e. use a diffusion percentage of around 50% or less otherwise things will sound muddy. Exciters can make a differnece too.

Is this (http://users.tpg.com.au/edjenny/Daniel/Audio/Deep%20sub%20with%20loose%20hihat_19.mp3) the kind of sound you mean?

not listened yet, but very curious. your technical input sounds pretty well informed. always happy about tips like that.

what notes would you play the sub on ruffly?

Tom @ Religion
15-12-2005, 11:13 AM

Aye not too far from it! That sounds class, will definitely be experimenting with that one. Thanks a lot!! :cheese:

278d7e64a374de26f==