PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 Female DJS Poll

DJ Becka
14-12-2005, 06:51 PM
I know most of us think polls are stupid, but I am putting this up anyway -shejay is having a top 100 female djs poll.....in a way I think it's kinda cool that they are trying to get a list of the top female talent, since we are so underrepresented. So please take a minute or 2 out of your busy day to cast your votes....and dont forget to vote for your favorite female livesets DJ *wink wink* - other ladies that deserve to be on the list - Shiva (yay), Monika Kruse, Barbara, you know the rest.....I'm seeing people posting votes for djs like Miss Lisa and the like - we NEED some female techno djs on this list to represent ;)

http://www.top100femaledjs.net/

dirty_bass
14-12-2005, 07:47 PM
When are they having the midget DJ poll? When that happens I`ll be voting for DJ Mad Fingers McShortey Cutmaster Flash, he`s kick ass.
http://www.caligirl.net/album/groups/gamespy/bt-midget-e32001.jpg

Patrick DSP
14-12-2005, 08:19 PM
a top 100 female dj's is wrong imo. for women who allways what to be concidered equal, why seperate them? and especialy into another popularity contest? true skill and tallent will always shine through no matter if you're male, female. black white or in between all of the above ;)

anx
14-12-2005, 08:26 PM
When are they having the midget DJ poll? When that happens I`ll be voting for DJ Mad Fingers McShortey Cutmaster Flash, he`s kick ass.

haha are you for real? not about the poll, but about dj mad fingers mcshorty cutmaster flash

DJ Becka
14-12-2005, 08:53 PM
a top 100 female dj's is wrong imo. for women who allways what to be concidered equal, why seperate them? and especialy into another popularity contest? true skill and tallent will always shine through no matter if you're male, female. black white or in between all of the above ;)

You are right, Patrick, but you still have to admit that in this world, women are still not treated as equals. I dont really see too much of a problem with this - this is a chance for women to have their turn in the spotlight in this male dominated industry, so to speak.

But yes, true skill and talent will always shine through no matter what- but I dont want to see some wack ass dj like Portia Surreal get voted as #1 on that list either. Oh wait, I almost forgot-she's not even a REAL dj ;)

Buttman
14-12-2005, 08:53 PM
I did not even know that 100 female djs existed.

xfive
14-12-2005, 08:56 PM
But yes, true skill and talent will always shine through no matter what- but I dont want to see some wack ass dj like Portia Surreal get voted as #1 on that list either. Oh wait, I almost forgot-she's not even a REAL dj ;)

Whatever - She can spin on my deck any day!

har har :cheese:

The Overfiend
14-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Shiva to rule them all.

Buttman
14-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Nika77 and Technodeluxe!
Only ones I know that play real techno.
Oh yeah, Pelacha too.

audioinjection
14-12-2005, 11:50 PM
there are female djs?

DJ Becka
14-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Nika77 and Technodeluxe!
Oh yeah, Pelacha too.

Define 'real' techno?

I know it's rare to find a female that spins, let alone one that spins techno, but there are a few out there....myself included ;)

Dustin Zahn
14-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Nika77 and Technodeluxe!
Oh yeah, Pelacha too.

Agreed. Nika77 has the skills and intensity of Misstress Barbra, but has an even better track selection.

For the Carola knock-off type stuff, Lucca is pretty decent too.

MARKEG
15-12-2005, 12:00 AM
at the end of the day these polls mean jack cause it's not like one person one vote if you get me. BUT i do thiink it's about time the ladies got a bit of cred, my chrissi works so hard and yet ppl always seem to come up to me like i'm the only one who does the tracks which is bullshit. we DO need more women recognision imo and we do need more ppl talking about women in this scene. this poll, although just a poll, will promote this. and therefore i for one will be voting. best dj? my chrissi of course, even though she doesnt dj in public hehehehhe :) second best? hmmmmmmmm... lov ya becka and shiva ;) oh and my girl miss innocent and hifi princess :)

teknorich
15-12-2005, 07:01 AM
Maybe the poll should be the top 20 or even top 50 female djs, simply because there aren´t so many to choose from. I mean, any one of us could sit down and write a list of 100 male djs no problem, but I definitely couldn´t think of 100 female ones. The poll should be the BEST female djs, not just the only few that anyone could think of!! (I´d be struggling to get 20 to be honest...)

wenna
15-12-2005, 07:39 AM
well if there arent that many female djs in the scene, then how do u plan to have a top ONE HUNDRED poll??? :eh:

rotten
15-12-2005, 10:35 AM
i never knew peter sutton is a dj :doh:

Miromiric
15-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Nika77 and Technodeluxe!
Oh yeah, Pelacha too.

Define 'real' techno?
;)

it is quite easy. one that is not crap.

i think i have only heard one female dj ever and she was crap. i think it was some model from CZ, cant remeber her name.
oh and pelacha - ok music, crappy cuts.
and ofcourse surgeon when he dresses up in a tranny and puts on the pink skin in ableton.

Miromiric
15-12-2005, 10:43 AM
or even as a tranny.

Agent 24
15-12-2005, 10:53 AM

I totally agree, I think DJs should be judged on their merits rather than whether they're male or female.

DJ Becka
15-12-2005, 03:06 PM

I totally agree, I think DJs should be judged on their merits rather than whether they're male or female.

That is fine, but it doesnt change the fact that in this society, this just doesnt happen.....take a look at any other poll - how many women do you see making it on those polls? Granted, it's bullshit, but still - you see that it's still a male dominated industry.

DJ Becka
15-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Nika77 and Technodeluxe!
Oh yeah, Pelacha too.

Define 'real' techno?
;)

it is quite easy. one that is not crap.

i think i have only heard one female dj ever and she was crap. i think it was some model from CZ, cant remeber her name.
oh and pelacha - ok music, crappy cuts.
and ofcourse surgeon when he dresses up in a tranny and puts on the pink skin in ableton.

I think you might be referring to DJ Lucca (but I'm not sure). As far as my original question 'define real techno' - your answer of 'one that is not crap' is not acceptable. I didnt ask you about the djs themselves-there are good djs out there (male & female) that spin other styles of music. I asked you to give your definition of techno and what is 'real' to you......but I guess that's a whole different discussion ;) That is all. Carry on.

eyeswithoutaface
15-12-2005, 03:46 PM
to be honest maybe the problem also is that there are literaly just not that many girls having a go, certainly the case over here, except in say the hard dance scene where there are alot of female's doing ok for themselves, and usually off their own bats too, of course EVERYONE gets a leg up in the scene at some point or other be it with a release, a gig off people they know etc etc but at the end of the day if the person isnt pushing themselves to be on the level they want then no amount of voting in polls will change that unfortunately. I genuinely think the reason there are not that many female techno dj's is because there simply isnt that many female's taking it up and getting into things at such a serious level, i wish there were, its quite cool seeing a girl who can really dj well, and there are people like Chrissi too making great records.

people say its a male dominated scene like its a bad thing, which ok it probably is at time's, but i think it's just the way it is that there are more men in the scene than women, no ulterior motives or hidden agenda's, it's just the way its gone i think

Buttman
15-12-2005, 03:53 PM

DJ Ladida?

http://www.discogs.com/image/A-62429-1079495908.jpg
http://www.discogs.com/image/A-62429-1079495868.jpg

Buttman
15-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Female DJ database run by Electric Indigo.
http://www.femalepressure.net/

Buttman
15-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Miss Innocent! lol
http://www.subdivisionhq.com/missinnocent/gallery/hi5.jpg
http://www.missinnocent.com/

What is it with women and being so petite with the turntables? It would take me 5 min to find the beat if I used only my pinky finger.

Buttman
15-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Oh yeah we also have Angela Flame!
http://www.angelaflame.net/

She is good.

dan the acid man
15-12-2005, 04:24 PM
i think eyes has a valid point, dj polls are dominated by males, as there's not enough females out there in techno or any other form of dance music

jon connor
15-12-2005, 04:29 PM

fukinell stevo you just reminded me i met a midjet dj on me hols this year in mellorca hahahahahahah fuk sake his name was dj paul and i could not beleive my eyes his misses was about 6 foot :wtf: my little lad kept saying why has that boy got a mans head :lol: fukinell my 4 year old kid was bigger than him , but he was sound guy good laff and dident mind a bit of piss taking top bloke , any way top birds on the decks for beka then ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me think how many are there , i dont many top dj girls out there most of them are in the darkest depths of the underground so here goes we shall start with the lovely bekka then my good friend ketltia aka bambi + scot kemix misses pheava she is our north wales first lady of techno and she rocks ;)

jon connor
15-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Miss Innocent! lol
http://www.subdivisionhq.com/missinnocent/gallery/hi5.jpg
http://www.missinnocent.com/

What is it with women and being so petite with the turntables? It would take me 5 min to find the beat if I used only my pinky finger.

oh my god for christ sake here we go again :wtf: this is wot happend last time people started posting fit techno chicks and i got excited and the girls were all gunna kill me heheheheheheheheheheheh fukininell im out of here now :lol: jesus how fit is mrss inocent + we will leave it there i think :lol:

jon connor
15-12-2005, 04:37 PM
ummmmmmmm would it be possible for an anual calender of all our lovely techno chicks here on boa :blush: :toast:

DJ Becka
15-12-2005, 04:42 PM
ummmmmmmm would it be possible for an anual calender of all our lovely techno chicks here on boa :blush: :toast:

As long as you use pics of us in action and not bikini shots :lol:

oh, btw....if you DO vote for me, make sure you spell my name right ;) Wouldnt want people to get confused now, would you? :lol:

alsynthe
15-12-2005, 04:43 PM
im gonna vote for jon connor haha

Agent 24
15-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Right, so we've gone from a discussion about which female DJs are technically good, to judging them purely on their looks.

Have any of the female DJs on BOA posted similar things about male DJs? I think not.

alsynthe
15-12-2005, 04:49 PM
then wots stopping u?

Miromiric
15-12-2005, 04:55 PM
and i forgot youngblooded technodeluxe from hungary. she is pure goodness, but not a godess.

Miromiric
15-12-2005, 04:57 PM
As far as my original question 'define real techno' - your answer of 'one that is not crap' is not acceptable. I didnt ask you about the djs themselves-there are good djs out there (male & female) that spin other styles of music. I asked you to give your definition of techno and what is 'real' to you......but I guess that's a whole different discussion ;) That is all. Carry on.

;)

DJ Becka
15-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Have any of the female DJs on BOA posted similar things about male DJs? I think not.

Well, none of you ever asked :eyes:

Patrick DSP
15-12-2005, 08:02 PM
i voted for jon connor as well, i got some great photos of him in a dress.

alsynthe
15-12-2005, 08:21 PM
haha i think ive started summat here lol

dirty_bass
15-12-2005, 10:08 PM
I`m gonna vote for Rowland the Bastard. I`ve seen the pics of him in a dress, and he is definitely the best female DJ.
He`s not a midget though.

The Overfiend
15-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Daniela Haverbeck & Miss Bass

massplanck
15-12-2005, 10:25 PM
why do load of female dj's insist on putting *miss* infront of their names. If i was called Mr Bass people would throw things at me. Miss Bass is ****ing good though & I had the pleasure of *hearing* (not seeing) technodeluxe in slovakia this time last year.

Miromiric
15-12-2005, 10:32 PM
mister assplanck

Miromiric
15-12-2005, 10:33 PM
so what are we discussing here again, who is the best female dj or who is best looknig female dj?

Miromiric
15-12-2005, 10:33 PM
MISTER ASSSPANK

dan the acid man
15-12-2005, 11:22 PM
I`m gonna vote for Rowland the Bastard. I`ve seen the pics of him in a dress, and he is definitely the best female DJ.
He`s not a midget though.

he's a midget if you look at him from far away

DJ Becka
16-12-2005, 12:43 AM
so what are we discussing here again, who is the best female dj or who is best looknig female dj?

http://www.ishkur.com/captions/134.jpg

:lol:

el salvador
16-12-2005, 01:20 AM
how about best female dj. do people have a care who is coming second, or third or forth or.............can we just have a winner?

el salvador
16-12-2005, 01:49 AM
i thought magda played very good. very cool tunes too

cntrl
16-12-2005, 03:03 AM
off the top of my head magda and clodagh(sp?)

Miromiric
16-12-2005, 09:25 AM

:blush:

Agent Orange NYC
16-12-2005, 06:19 PM
I think there should be more females in the scene in general hehe. Maybe if we weren't all such nerds there would be!!

I think much credit is due to the females that are doing it (spinning, producing) right now especially since their aren't so many. Props to the chicas that step out of the 'norm' of what girls usually do. Thats more ballsy than most men.

dirty_bass
16-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Bah to women on decks, it`s so yesterday.
Get some dogs on the decks.
Or monkey`s.
Everyone likes monkeys.

"Ah look at him, he`s just like a real person, he`s got headphones and everything"

http://www.whiskeyriver.tv/monkey/PDR_1802.JPG

Mindful
16-12-2005, 07:31 PM
how about best female dj. do people have a care who is coming second, or third or forth or.............can we just have a winner?

My woman is allways coming second.

Im just so giving.

Miromiric
16-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Or monkey`s.
Everyone likes monkeys.

"Ah look at him, he`s just like a real person, he`s got headphones and everything"

sorry man, but what does this "he s just like a real person" mean?! women are human too maybe?! or what?
i think you are being chauvinistic here.

Mindful
16-12-2005, 07:34 PM

word

Miromiric
16-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Or monkey`s.
Everyone likes monkeys.

sorry man, but what does this "he s just like a real person" mean?! women are human too maybe?! or what?
i think you are being chauvinistic here.

dan the acid man
16-12-2005, 11:10 PM
so what have we learnt so far, some of us love to look at nice women, some women like to look at nice men.
when it comes to dj'ing, it doesn't matter what gender you are, and monkeys are the new crowd pleaser

The Divide
17-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Haha class

jon connor
17-12-2005, 03:27 PM

oh, btw....if you DO vote for me, make sure you spell my name right ;) Wouldnt want people to get confused now, would you? :lol:

hahahahahhaah no problemo becka , im a crap with spelling :lol: and yea would be cool see a 12 of the best girls on ere if there is that many in action for a calendar hahahahahah love it ;)

jon connor
17-12-2005, 03:28 PM

hahahahahhaah no problemo becka , im a crap with spelling :lol: and yea would be cool see a 12 of the best girls on ere if there is that many in action for a calendar hahahahahah love it ;)

jon connor
17-12-2005, 03:29 PM
im gonna vote for jon connor haha

hehehe could always get a dress on and go under the new guise of joan connor or mabey jill heheheheheheheh bastrd al hahahahahaha :lol:

jon connor
17-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Right, so we've gone from a discussion about which female DJs are technically good, to judging them purely on their looks.

dont get ya knickers in a twist we only pulling ya plonkas jesus touchy you girls hahahahaha sorry for offending you love ill stop now ;) :blush:

jon connor
17-12-2005, 03:33 PM
i voted for jon connor as well, i got some great photos of him in a dress.

hahahahah how did you get that ? right ive been busted :cheese:

jon connor
17-12-2005, 03:36 PM

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrblerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp shit ive just prematurly ejaculated :help: :sick: :terminator: hahahah my god a new pic heheheheheh love cheers becka :eyes:

jon connor
17-12-2005, 03:40 PM
I think there should be more females in the scene in general hehe. Maybe if we weren't all such nerds there would be!!

I think much credit is due to the females that are doing it (spinning, producing) right now especially since their aren't so many. Props to the chicas that step out of the 'norm' of what girls usually do. Thats more ballsy than most men.

ill second that you go the girls respect :cheer: there should be a full scout of female techno recruitment , i would like to see more female artists keep some of us bastrds in line heheheheheheh but no deffo good comment there by mr orange im with you there dude ;)

dirty_bass
17-12-2005, 04:50 PM
On a more serious note, there are simply less women into techno, so there are less women techno DJ`s.
Who really cares, a DJ is a DJ is a DJ is a DJ.
The only thing that should matter is what is coming out of the speakers.
Who cares what sex or sexual persuasion the DJ is, and who gives a damn about charts anyway, what do they mean?
Absolutely sod all. A number with a name next to it voted by a demographic that might not even vote for techno at all. If the people dig you, then they will dance.
The fact that there is a separate chart for women is pathetic.
What next.
Best by country?
Best by eye colour?
Shoe size?
Dick Size?
Bra Size?

DJ Becka
17-12-2005, 05:26 PM
On a more serious note, there are simply less women into techno, so there are less women techno DJ`s.
Who really cares, a DJ is a DJ is a DJ is a DJ.
The only thing that should matter is what is coming out of the speakers.
Who cares what sex or sexual persuasion the DJ is, and who gives a damn about charts anyway, what do they mean?
Absolutely sod all. A number with a name next to it voted by a demographic that might not even vote for techno at all. If the people dig you, then they will dance.
The fact that there is a separate chart for women is pathetic.
What next.
Best by country?
Best by eye colour?
Shoe size?
Dick Size?
Bra Size?

You need to lighten up with that attitude, man....seriously. I personally dont give a shit - but the reality is that there are people who do.....and why shouldnt the few hard working femmes out there be rewarded for their hardwork? Becuase it is still a man's world-I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to recognize women in the industry too. Doesnt mean that all of us expect to get preferential treatment-we just want the recognition we deserve for a change.

dan the acid man
17-12-2005, 06:28 PM
i can see what your saying, but i think dirty bass has a valid point, if your going to judge a dj, then you should judge the dj on ability and nothing else

teknorich
17-12-2005, 07:09 PM
But by what criteria should we judge the Top 100 Monkey djs???

The Divide
17-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Im all for it, makes a change to let the girls take the spotlight. As for my vote I think Scott Gray deserves a mention

dirty_bass
17-12-2005, 08:05 PM
But by what criteria should we judge the Top 100 Monkey djs???

By their ability to play records well, to play original music in their own style, and to be able to respond to the crowd.
Not on the size of their tits.
Oh hang on, I¬m getting all confused now.

Pheeva
18-12-2005, 09:37 PM

fukinell stevo you just reminded me i met a midjet dj on me hols this year in mellorca hahahahahahah fuk sake his name was dj paul and i could not beleive my eyes his misses was about 6 foot :wtf: my little lad kept saying why has that boy got a mans head :lol: fukinell my 4 year old kid was bigger than him , but he was sound guy good laff and dident mind a bit of piss taking top bloke , any way top birds on the decks for beka then ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me think how many are there , i dont many top dj girls out there most of them are in the darkest depths of the underground so here goes we shall start with the lovely bekka then my good friend ketltia aka bambi + scot kemix misses pheava she is our north wales first lady of techno and she rocks ;)

;)

Pheeva
18-12-2005, 09:39 PM

hahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pheeva
18-12-2005, 09:42 PM

ill second that you go the girls respect :cheer: there should be a full scout of female techno recruitment , i would like to see more female artists keep some of us bastrds in line heheheheheheh but no deffo good comment there by mr orange im with you there dude ;)

here here!
I think the vinyl vixens deserve a mention too :clap: Respect

davethedrummer
18-12-2005, 11:52 PM
my top 5 female djs

1.gizelle
2.rakitt
3.mara bruiser ( brasil )
4.geraldine
4.fernanda ( brasil)

djshiva
19-12-2005, 05:46 AM
y'all had to know that it was just a matter of time before i joined this discussion, right?

some basic comments and then potentially a diatribe.

first, people keep saying there are not many female djs, and yet i stopped counting years ago the number of sisters i know who work the decks. perhaps its because i go out of my way to connect with other women djs. probably. but the fact is that the number of women on the decks has grown exponentially in the last 5 years alone. why are you all not seeing them? for the same reason that becka wants you to vote in the poll. because the ones who put their heads down and work on music or just step up and rock the decks are not the ones getting the majority of the bookings. why?

because sexism still exists (in many forms) but for the purposes of this discussion, in the electronic music industry. the women who get the bookings (not all, just many of them) are the ones selling their looks or their asses instead of their talent. and why are they doing that? because you (and i mean this as a general "you") blokes are the ones paying to see them strut their asses instead of their skills. because promoters are still predominantly men, the industry is stacked with men, and society overall values women for their sex appeal over their talents.

every time i say this, it starts a shitstorm of controversy, but that means i am pressing the reactionary buttons and that tells me that what i have been saying for years still holds true.

i will preempt any comments of "you're just overreacting" with "if this many women say there is a problem...maybe...just maybe...there is." i have been djing for over ten years now, and my method of getting gigs is to rock it every time. i am a butchy dyke grrl, and not one to rely on my looks and their appeal (or lack of appeal) to men. do i think that my looks (as in, i ain't a freakin supermodel) have had an impact on getting where i want to be? truth be told...yes. i have watched women with less ability and less experience on the decks shoot past me, getting gig after gig, and while i would never want to begrudge my sisters their shot, i will acknowledge that i know why they did. is it a sore spot? occasionally it is, but i know i have conducted myself in a way that keeps my soul happy, so...whatever.

but in addressing this, i have to draw attention to the fact that, while it frustrates me to see women using their ass as a fasttrack to popularity, it is not women who have set up the system so that it works this way. the system...the business...the world...has been set up by men, for men, to benefit men. and no i don't think the great blokes that i call my techno brothers have set it up directly, but they have benefitted from it all the same.

this goes so much deeper than techno, but techno (djing,whatever) is a microcosmic representation of a larger issue, and one that has always been at the forefront of my personal/political life.

for those who say that women should be judged just like men...for their talents and nothing else, i say...that would be lovely...but it ain't set up that way. it never has been. we are judged on an entirely different scale....every day. society has been set up to put women at a constant disadvantage, to the point that when many women see a way to get what they want by buying into sexist notions of what a woman is, they don't even recognize the sexism anymore. it's become so ingrained that women have internalized their own subjectification.

i am sure can come up with more comments on this, but for now i will just say this:

to any of the guys who have come on here and talked smack about the one woman dj they saw who sucked, ask yourself this: how many guy djs have you seen that sucked? and how many times did you blame their suckiness on their gender?

i rock the decks BECAUSE i am a woman, and because of my life and experiences, not despite of it.

look harder and you will find plenty of talented women djs. you just won't find them shoving their tits in the camera. why? because their talents speak for themselves.

djshiva
19-12-2005, 05:49 AM
whoops...there i go with the bad grammar.

when i said <quote> it's become so ingrained that women have internalized their own subjectification.</>

i meant objectification.

had to clarify...

RDR
19-12-2005, 08:41 AM
I havent read everything in this thread, but here are my thoughts unpolluted by the opinions of others.

1. Women do need a speration from the men, it helps rather than hinders. It levels the playing field and leads to a focus of quality within a subgrouping rather than everyone losing within the greater whole (and i mean men as well)

2. comments to the nature of "hur hur - i didnt know there were 100 females DJs hur hur" are sodding ridiculous, there are more than 100 faberge eggs in the world, but i havnt seen them all. that doesnt mean they dont exist...

3. i know three female DJs and although they dont play techno, they do have a different take on dance music

4. I vote for Becka - cos shes right pretty! (only kidding becka...its cos you seem to have more balls than a lot of men i spoke too..)

The Overfiend
19-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Shiva to rule them all.
Becka to Keep shit intact.

eyeswithoutaface
19-12-2005, 09:41 AM
i think people REALLY need to bare in mind their location too and understand that its not the same over here as say in the States. There is seriously no supression of the female Dj over here in the UK, obviously not the same elsewhere but certainly not over here, as i said earlier, just a simple case of a lower ratio of women getting involved compared to the men. If anything there are some female dj's over here creaming the pants off the guys.

it really doesnt matter if your a man or a woman if you've got talent and you push yourself hard enough you'l what's owed as it were

dirty_bass
19-12-2005, 11:47 AM
It`s hard for anyone to get DJ work in techno, as my nepotism topic raised.
It`s all a combination of batant self promotion and brown nosing, right place at the right time, hard work and talent.
In england I would say it really doesn`t matter about sex at all.
There are simply fewer girls DJing in techno. All the girls I do know who play techno, get gigs. I don`t know any women DJ`s who just play in their bedrooms. Techno is full of geeks, so I would say the girls probably get a better chance at a gig, than a bloke of the same level of skill and talent.
Most of the girls playing techno I have heard, are very very good, certainly have a different take on things in terms of selection and technique, and mostly don`t use their sex to sell themselves into the scene.
Maybe the problem is more american, where looks etc are far more important?

I still see polls as a pointless heap of shit.

100 best christmas gifts
100 funniest TV moments
100 Best female DJ`s
blah blah

If you aren`t getting gigs, then work harder to get them. Just playing isn`t enough, you need to get in peoples faces, schmooz, network, suck up etc.

Jay Pace
19-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Dirty_bass - I think the whole point of the Female DJ poll was to collectively get in people's faces.

It helps everyone on the poll get more publicity and recognition.

This isn't another insipid popularity contest for globally recognised DJs, this is shining a spotlight on a relative minority, who could do with more awareness.

dirty_bass
19-12-2005, 12:29 PM
polls are open to abuse and have nothing to do with talent etc, which is what the "we aren`t getting booked" argument is all about.
With polls you can just get people to vote for you purely cos they are mates or whatever, and not necessarily anything to do with talent.
They really mean nothing. It`s just another list, an I doubt it will do anyone but those with the best PR, any good.
And those with the best PR will more than likely be those who have used their sexuality to get into magazines etc for various photo shoots, to appeal to the mainstream, which again has nothing to do with techno.

You can be a million more times more effective with other methods of promotion for yourself.

Jay Pace
19-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Polls aren't an accurate reflection of talent. Its just a way of getting noticed.
Like schmoozing, networking and sucking up.

I don't think anyone is relying on this poll to make their career for them.
Its just another method of self promotion - for people who could use some publicity.

Tiesto winning a poll achieves nothing. He's well known anyway, and he wins a popularity contest. Whoop-de-doo
Becka and Shiva and others getting their names out there in front of people matters, and could lead to more bookings.
Fair play to them.

If you recognise the importance of networking and schmoozing, I don't see what your truck is with having a poll.

jon connor
19-12-2005, 02:55 PM
STOP!

jon connor
19-12-2005, 03:00 PM
CARRY ON! :cheese:

you politian bastrds every time this topic comes up it goes to the wild wild west yall crazy , im with becka hear she posted coz she probably wants to no how many other female jocks are bustin out the beats + she is my top girl anyway ;) cum on guys its christmas calm down freaks :lol:

ok im out a hear :upyours:

dan the acid man
19-12-2005, 04:52 PM
had to edit jons post above, thought it may cause some stupid arguments

teknorich
19-12-2005, 05:58 PM
(Should have spell checked it too, he he he...)

eyeswithoutaface
19-12-2005, 06:20 PM
if your getting ANY gigs, and records out etc then surely thats recognition in itself? what do some people want, a ****ing billboard with their faces on it?

if everyone stopped thinking it was a competition and stopped using the "oh but im a female" card then maybe thing's would pan out better like it does over here? so what if someone's getting more gigs than you, why the hell should that bother you as a person? if it does, to the point where you'd actually feel jealous and bitter over it, then maybe its not the right game to be getting into anyway

il say this to everyone, man, woman or beast, keep your head down, do your thing and just get on with it

Agent Orange NYC
19-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Some people want to make a carrer out of music some don't (some don't know how) fair enough?

djshiva
19-12-2005, 08:52 PM
if your getting ANY gigs, and records out etc then surely thats recognition in itself? what do some people want, a **** billboard with their faces on it?

if everyone stopped thinking it was a competition and stopped using the "oh but im a female" card then maybe thing's would pan out better like it does over here? so what if someone's getting more gigs than you, why the hell should that bother you as a person? if it does, to the point where you'd actually feel jealous and bitter over it, then maybe its not the right game to be getting into anyway

il say this to everyone, man, woman or beast, keep your head down, do your thing and just get on with it

again i say, refer to my above post. those women who just put their heads down and play will be the best on the decks, but not necessarily get recognition because in a society where women's asses are valued over their assets, the "oh but i'm a female card" works. in a capitalist-sexist structure that rewards allowing onesself to be objectified, those who want to take the path of least resistance shove their tits in the camera and advance because of it.
doesn't mean they have any self-respect, but they have bookings and to some that's what matters. myself, i'd rather be able to look myself in the mirror and see some dignity...but i digress...

and while i am obviously not in the uk, i really had to laugh at the assumptions that sexism seemingly does not exist. perhaps from a male perspective that is true, but it's not what i hear from my sister djs there. and sorry guys...i believe them because they are the ones living it.

i am happy to see this discussion here, but i really would like to ask that people put aside their personal perspectives and look at this from an entirely different viewpoint. one that doesn't say: "hey yah got bookings...why ya bitching?" one that looks at the dj world as the microcosm of a larger society and realizes that the same issues women face in society will inevitably play themselves out in the smaller subculture.

techno didn't erase centuries of sexism overnight, no matter how much any of us would like it to have done so. but we can move towards thoughtful discussion, and i hope we can all begin to really <b>hear</b> women's voices and acknowledge the truth of these words and lives in the midst of our much-loved techno geekery.

i value thoughtful debate and discourse about these issues, in fact it is part of what i put into the techno i make and spin. because at the end of the day, if this is all just about bleepy noises and making pieces of round plastic go round and round, and not about the expression of truth and facts of our lives and how we live them...then it is all a load of superficial BS..."full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" (thanks Shakespeare).

eyeswithoutaface
19-12-2005, 08:55 PM
there's arguments for and against no doubt, but like i said, it REALLY depends on where you live and what scene, so this is a topic that will just go around and round in circles as its totally subjective to each persons personal situation

djshiva
19-12-2005, 09:04 PM
which is why i made the point that it's not about scenes, it's about the larger culture. and if you can find me one where women are not dealing with sexism, i will eat my mixer.

i will say that in the techno world at large, i have felt more welcomed and accepted, and had more love and appreciation than any other music scene i have ever dealt with (and i have dealt with many). i love my techno boys and girls! and that's why i post things like i have. generally, there is less outright meanness in the replies from my techno boys than anywhere else. so i encourage discussion and hopefully some learning...i tend to get bored talking about records all the time, so it's nice to try some more in-depth social commentary and discourse, ya know? ;)

The Divide
19-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Yea Scotts got a point. Its all down to location, here in the UK I think in general not only does it not matter, female DJ's probably get more support and backing than male ones. I think people find it refreshing and more interesting to see a girl on the decks in a scene that’s mostly blokes, unfortunately

I think a bigger question to ask is why aren’t there more girls on the dancefloor

The Divide
19-12-2005, 09:13 PM
I should reword to...

Unfortunately its mostly blokes on the dancefloor

eyeswithoutaface
19-12-2005, 09:24 PM
the thing is, reading back, there are conflicting message's coming from the female camp here. The thread is indicating to vote in the specialised Female Dj poll, yet clearly you girls want accepting on the level that alot feel the men are on.... well, surely the specialised Female dj poll only promotes a division and thus creates sexism itself, although the ultimate goal is to bring things up to what some deem the even keel. What we would call in England, "wanting your cake and eating it"

the good meaning is there, but the methods are a touch outdated i think, i mean joking aside come on, another dj poll? these really do have no meaning whatsoever, seriously, in anything, ever, they just serve to try and pat the ego's of those who make the poll's and infuriate those who think its a bad thing to not be in the poll. If i ever made it into such a poll id cringe in embarrasment

As i said, this one really could go round and round in circles haha

cup of tea anyone?

http://www.izosoft.com/collections/IZ090_Tea_and_Coffee/cup_of_tea_079_025.jpg

djshiva
19-12-2005, 09:35 PM
i'll take a cup of tea. green tea preferably, although i do like earl grey as well. ;)

truth be told, i think dj polls are a load of fluff. it's a popularity contest and no real indicator of talent. we all know that. i do like recognition for my sisters, albeit on a talent basis and not popularity. we all know who wins the popularity contests, right?

i would rather drop the polls and encourage you guys to actively seek out good female djs/producers to listen to and encourage people to book. when the ratio of men to women on the flyers is 50-50, and not one word is said about how the women look, that's when i'll believe some progress is really being made.

on a slightly different topic, someone on BOA once mentioned that perhaps the reason we don't know a lot of female producers/djs is because there are many who do not use gender specific names as their performance names (there is a reason for that, i assure you. people tend to give you less guff when they assume you are a guy. interesting, eh?). i didn't even know chrissi was a part of the naxious with mark eg until i got on this forum. didn't know half of pet duo was female either. punisher from detroit...another example. how many more ya figure there are going all incognito on us?

The Divide
19-12-2005, 09:49 PM
which is why i made the point that it's not about scenes, it's about the larger culture. and if you can find me one where women are not dealing with sexism, i will eat my mixer.

As much as I’m for the idea of a top 100 poll, i would just like to point something out..

Why not try and reduce or eradicate sexism instead of encouraging it? I mean the reason there aren’t many girls in dj polls is because there aren’t many female djs. That has nothing to do with gender specific names, sexism and has everything to do demographics. How many girls are into techno over guys would you say? Roughly about 25-35% females over males?

dirty_bass
19-12-2005, 09:56 PM
i would rather drop the polls and encourage you guys to actively seek out good female djs/producers to listen to and encourage people to book. when the ratio of men to women on the flyers is 50-50, and not one word is said about how the women look, that's when i'll believe some progress is really being made.

Isn`t this in itself sexism?
I`ll actively seek anyone good and talented, both in temrs of production and DJ`s to book. Nothing matters apart from what is on the CD demo (productions or sets).
I`m pretty sure most techno promoters think the name when it comes to bookings.
Get some big names to get in the numbers, and then check out the demos to see who is good.
And I`ve never seen a techno flyer with a female DJ on it that has ever made a mention of their looks?
The only obstacle I can see in the way of any woman DJ is the same as most peoples.
It`s not what you know, or how good you are, it`s who you know.
There may be sexism present in other forms of work etc, but within the DJ scene, I really don`t think it`s there in a major way.
OK some of the better looking female DJ`s are letched at, but that`s just men, we are led by our dicks, and no amount of political
fuming will ever change that, but I really can`t see a shit hot, but maybe less glamorous female DJ having a harder time of getting booked than some guy of the same or lesser level of talent.

The Divide
19-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Anyways

Tasha (miss bass) is a good dj and a very creative artist. More creative than most the people, even myself. She’s on a different level to most people and I think in time she will make a strong name for herself whatever she chooses to do

Buttman
19-12-2005, 10:53 PM
You wanna get in her pants huh

Miromiric
19-12-2005, 11:03 PM
who doesn`t?

djshiva
20-12-2005, 02:42 AM

Isn`t this in itself sexism?
I`ll actively seek anyone good and talented, both in temrs of production and DJ`s to book. Nothing matters apart from what is on the CD demo (productions or sets).

i am not asking for affirmative action for pete's sake. just that people seek out talent that they may have not come across before. i think we do that as techno geeks, but perhaps i am more apt to seek out women artists because we tend to fly under the radar.
that said, if i do an event, i book it on talent. i just happen to be lucky to know a crapload of talented women artists. is it because there are more around me? or is it because i am paying attention?

And I`ve never seen a techno flyer with a female DJ on it that has ever made a mention of their looks?

admittedly i don't know where you are from, but in america at least, i can barely FIND a flyer with a woman artist on it that doesn't mention their looks. perhaps it is a particularly american trend to constantly harp on looks...dunno...

The only obstacle I can see in the way of any woman DJ is the same as most peoples...
There may be sexism present in other forms of work etc, but within the DJ scene, I really don`t think it`s there in a major way.

and i would respectfully say that it is easy for you to say that, because you don't have to live it. that's not me being cranky, it is simply true. i have been in this scene for over ten years, and if sexism was nonexistent, i wouldn't be addressing it.

and again i say, if women say sexism exists in the dj scene, and men continue to deny the truth of that, is that not sexism in itself? can men look past their conception of the world and begin to acknowledge that women's voices matter and that we speak the truth that we live every day? because our truth does not jibe with your concept of reality, does that make it any less true?

just some points to ponder from the unapologetic feminist...

now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

dirty_bass
20-12-2005, 03:18 AM
I`d like to see some concrete proof of sexism in the techno scene in terms of bookings. It`s easy to blame everything under the sun.
One thing I haven`t had, is one single demo sent to me of productions by a girl.
I get sent loads and loads of stuff by guys, but none by girls.
Our website clearly states an open submission policy, so I think also that as a whole, less women are generally into techno, it`s not that they are shut out. Check the average dancefloor, there`s way more dicks than chicks.

machina
20-12-2005, 04:05 AM
I'll just say that it definately works both ways - i know plenty of girls that have gotten gigs, and been encouraged to do so (generally with shithouse skills) purely because they are girls. You can't deny that girls often get gigs because of the 'novelty' factor when they often don't deserve them... i'm all for girls getting gigs on their merits and i would always encourage it, but i'm vehemently against the mentality of given girls gigs purely because they don't have a dick. And even though that's not really what some girl dj's etc. think they are asking for, it is how it comes across. to have 50% girls on flyers is just a silly aim - promoters should always aim to have the best possible lineups regardless of sex, and at the moment the simple math dictates that there is going to be more guys - more guys into techno, more guys playing, more guys that are good.

All this talk, in the end, does more harm than good as it implies that girls can't get by on their on merits.

machina

teknorich
20-12-2005, 08:48 AM
You´ll never find 50 / 50 splits because the scene isn´t composed that way. The crowds are not 50% female (I wish they were!), the producers are not 50% female and the dj´s are not 50% female. So to ask for a 50 / 50 split on flyers would be completely unrealistic. Why not ask for 40% black and 23% disabled too?? Maybe a 15% gay and 6.5% athiest?? This is getting a bit silly...

Djing should simply be down to merit. Shiva says in an earlier post she is a good Dj because she is a women. Because?? No. She is a good DJ because she is a good Dj. No more than that. Like anyone else.

Miromiric
20-12-2005, 09:08 AM
i blame beautiful dj boys with beautiful modern haircuts and vaxed chests, who get 3 gigs per week and i get none. it must be cause of my beer belly and irregular shaving.

dan the acid man
20-12-2005, 09:22 AM
i blame beautiful dj boys with beautiful modern haircuts and vaxed chests, who get 3 gigs per week and i get none. it must be cause of my beer belly and irregular shaving.

you need a ritchie hawtin haircut, thats what you need :)

BloodStar
20-12-2005, 09:49 AM
you need a ritchie hawtin haircut, thats what you need :)

nono. its Marco Bailey's ponny tail what brings the fame, today. i think. :)

dirty_bass
20-12-2005, 11:50 AM

Yeah, me too. I`m not getting enough gigs because of shallow, imagist bastards, just because I can`t wear sunglasses and play at the same time.

djshiva
20-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Djing should simply be down to merit. Shiva says in an earlier post she is a good Dj because she is a women. Because?? No. She is a good DJ because she is a good Dj. No more than that. Like anyone else.

as far as merit goes...ya might wanna read what i have been saying more closely. women are always held to different standards. if the playing field was even, it wouldn't be an issue. but it's not even. how many times have you heard someone mention a girl is playing and they are wondering if she will suck, simply because she is female? if you haven't, goody for you. but i have heard it constantly, and i get a bit sick of it. and since you guys have probably not run across being asked "are you hot?" when dealing with a promoter, let me inform you that it happens more frequently than not.

and as far as being a good dj because i am a woman, the reason i said "because" is that in any art, regardless of genre, what you put into it matters. as far as technical ability goes, there is no gender basis for that. it's beatmatching, fader play and programming. nuff said.

what i was referring to are the intangibles...the art behind the method. my life informs what i play and how i play. every time i step up to the decks, there is something i am trying to say and a feeling i want to impart. and THAT is where my life as woman comes into it. it doesn't mean i am any deeper or smarter than anyone else. it just means that my art is informed by my life and how i live it. and i think that anyone who puts their heart and soul into what they play, is going to be a better communicator as a dj than someone who just puts records together.

a good dj communicates with a crowd. good communication, to me, means hitting those subconscious levels in people. there are no words in my music to say, "this is my vision of life and the world and my frustrations as a woman." so that has to come across sheerly through flow, and vibe and sound. but i maintain that my ability to communicate through djing has everything to do with my life experiences and my interpretation of them.

and as far as the 50/50 thing goes...geez guys...there was a point to what i was saying. not asking for a ****ing quota... the point was that given the amount of talented women i personally know are on the decks, there should be a hell of a lot more women getting booked. but there are not.

there is always a lot of defensiveness from guys whenever this topic comes up. anyone asked themselves why?

and why has nobody addressed the other points i have brought up? the main one i am thinking of is that if women say there is an issue, why do we keep getting told over and over again that there is not? are you actually listening? or just knee-jerking?

djshiva
20-12-2005, 08:13 PM

LOL.

eyeswithoutaface
20-12-2005, 08:13 PM
i thought we'd resolved this one? il say it again, one word

djshiva
20-12-2005, 08:20 PM
resolved? not by a long shot.

but i understand that it's easier to put it off on location than to actually address the issue.

thanks for doing your best to invalidate anything i have to say. just know that i will continue to say it.

eyeswithoutaface
20-12-2005, 08:30 PM
errr we actually did come to an understanding the other day about the whole range of issue's, so im not sure whats with the defensive here? You've said exactly the same as when the topic was "hot" as it were, and your point was accepted then so im not sure how you think its not now

i just get bored of going over old ground, the topic is 8 pages long now, and its 8 pages of pretty much the same thing over and over, which alot of factors coming into play

there's no right or wrong opinion/answer to this one

djshiva
20-12-2005, 08:41 PM
well, we can agree to disagree on the resolution.

i think i have offered some valid points that were glossed over by "it's not an issue here", and offered the beginnings of a potentially interesting and very important discussion that was pretty much ignored.

i was jazzed about the opportunity to talk about something that is very important to me with people whose opinions i generally respect. i sometimes forget that most people are just fine with the status quo.

so let's go back to talking about richie's haircut or marco bailey's sunglasses or something equally as inane...

eyeswithoutaface
20-12-2005, 08:57 PM
oh come on, i think you've taken my use of resolve a little literaly there, it was more than clear i didnt mean we'd said like "oh its like that because it is, and thats final!"

and it had hit 8 pages anyway by then so if thats not having the chance to talk about it, what is? there was some great discussion about it it's not like this was said on the 2nd page or something :doh:

no one's against anyone here, ease up a bit its not like anyone's saying dont talk about this, but just pointing out that it started going round in circles anyway before it hit 8 pages! ;)

its man versus woman... in everything, the eternal struggle!

dirty_bass
20-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Ban women from playing techno at all, then the problem will be solved forever.

I definitely think this is more region specific, as none of the femal DJ`s I know have ever been asked if they were "hot" when they were going for gigs. They were just asked for demo`s.
Come to think of it, never have I heard anyone say, "oh, she`s a woman, do you think she is gonna be shit?"
Generally, whenever we had chicks on the decks at our parties and club nights, people stood up and took notice, and got down, rather than standing around in judgement.
In fact I`ve got 2 girlie friends who have rocketed up the "ladder" of DJ status, and it`s all basically down to hard work, lots of self promotion and never giving in, but also being very pleasant about it and having a good attitude.

Miromiric
21-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Come to think of it, never have I heard anyone say, "oh, she`s a woman, do you think she is gonna be shit?"

mi amigos and me always ask ourselves the very same question when going out on saturday`s night party.
"she a ho, she better beatmatch tightly."
or
"i sure hope she got nice little tits and a sturdy bum."

machina
21-12-2005, 10:53 PM
mi amigos and me always ask ourselves the very same question when going out on saturday`s night party.
"she a ho, she better beatmatch tightly."
or
"i sure hope she got nice little tits and a sturdy bum."

machina

Ned
22-12-2005, 12:16 AM

ITS BECAUSE YOU ARE FROM FORMER YUGOSLAVIACKA.

djshiva
22-12-2005, 08:06 AM
from http://www.alternet.org/story/24751/ "Spinning Their Way to Success (September 23, 2005)"

"For example, when the pre-eminent Scratch DJ Academy opened in Manhattan in 2002, the male-female student ratio was 80-20. Now, says Mike Cannady, the academy's director, "Our courses are about a 50-50 split between men and women. We just opened up an academy in Los Angeles, which was about 50-50 from the start. I think this shows a major change in the DJ industry as a whole."

Interesting...dontcha think?

Miromiric
22-12-2005, 09:07 AM
yeah, its very exciting!

Miromiric
22-12-2005, 01:48 PM
ITS BECAUSE YOU ARE FROM FORMER YUGOSLAVIACKA.

;) hi mass

module
22-12-2005, 03:19 PM
this is pointless imo

male. female... so what ? do we HAVE to have a 50-50 split ?

how many male vocalists are there in dance ? check the trance trax & you'll find pretty much everything with a big vocal is a female...

does that mean we should push to have male vocalists ?

it dont mean a thing, as long as whoever is at the desk or behibd the dex is 100% committed.

and surely, bookin djs purely on the grounds of gender is even more demeaning ?

jon connor
22-12-2005, 04:28 PM
had to edit jons post above, thought it may cause some stupid arguments

:lol: so did i but who cares anyway somtimes this place gets far to serious for its own good hehehehehehhe but anyway happy christmas everyone ;)

alsynthe
22-12-2005, 04:31 PM
still think jon connor should win, hes a big girls blouse

jon connor
22-12-2005, 04:32 PM
also SCOT GRAY your ass looks lovely in that new dress youve bought :lol: love it :blush:

jon connor
22-12-2005, 04:48 PM
still think jon connor should win, hes a big girls blouse

:lol: well i certainly love girls thats a start hahahahhaha and anyway al stop beeing in denile we all no ya a cross dresser :cheese: i can see you now in a nice wig lovely dress and a nice pair of stiletoes heheheheheheheheh :lol:

alsynthe
22-12-2005, 04:55 PM
haha jon uve more chance of seeing stephen hawking in the 200metre hurdles

jon connor
22-12-2005, 05:09 PM
haha jon uve more chance of seeing stephen hawking in the 200metre hurdles

:lol: ok lets stop now b4 we get anilated :)

Akkachar
22-12-2005, 05:13 PM
let's vote folks!!!

:hammered:

djshiva
23-12-2005, 02:54 AM
just wanted to show with my last post that there is more interest from the women than is commonly assumed.

everyone digs music.

278d7e64a374de26f==