PDA

View Full Version : getting the best quality for recording mixes...

anx
06-08-2003, 05:31 PM
ok this isnt a production question really

but if you are recording a demo, what i do, have my mixer running into my computer and recorded through soundforge 6.0

what are some tips to get the best possible quality out of your mix?

Basil Rush
06-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Good needles and a good mixer usually helps. Don't play any records with dodgy production :)

I've got an SK2F from Stanton which sounds way better than the Vestax and Numark's we've used before but I imagine that there are several other nice sounding ones.

Drive your inputs to a reasonable level with enough headroom to avoid clipping but definitely not too quiet.

And remember if you get to a mix and shaft it up,just move the needle on the record you were mixing out of back to a break and do the mix again it's a piece of piss in SF to mark out the mistakes and sort it out...

Right, think I've written enough for the day :)

anx
06-08-2003, 07:14 PM
yea, but is there anything you can do to the mix after recording to make it sound better? like adjusting the levels or whatnot...i was just told about normalizing and how it is a nono

Basil Rush
06-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Why is normallising a no-no? We usually do manual level changes to balance things out if it goes quiet and a little compression depending on the style of music and stuff...

Basil Rush
06-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Oh yeah, then run it through L1 ultramaximser (instead of normallising usually) to knock any weird peaks off it...

anx
06-08-2003, 08:32 PM
ok the guy had normalizing and limiting mixed up...

RichieV
07-08-2003, 05:17 AM
also the highs on most records are not very loud

compress the mix
and boost the highs

is what i usually do for cd

RichieV
07-08-2003, 05:18 AM
if you really want to get into it
seperate each song with markers and eq each song so that they fit together a little better.

But if you don't know how to do that , i'd say your better off just leaving it to a pro or alone

DJZeMig_L
07-08-2003, 01:48 PM
for top audio quality mixer.. Allen & heath...

After mixing.. correct dc.. normalize.. aplly C4 (not 2 much as most records have already been compressed the hell out of), then 1 or 2 L2 Maximizer... has this gets it rock blocking solid ...

maybe do a little stereo spread and eq afterwards if u feel it needs!!

Z

Jimfish
07-08-2003, 03:13 PM
what you should do is stick you butt in the air and hold the stick that you tied the hamster to up and wait for gary barlow to....oh, sorry wrong forum

err... i meant to say: tracks is ****in handy on those mixes etc... :wink:

Jimfish
07-08-2003, 03:13 PM
DOH!

tracks = T-racks

Basil Rush
09-08-2003, 01:54 PM
on the separating thing, with a bit of jiggery pokery ... record everything onto two stereo tracks one for each deck, you need the right kind of (or two) mixers for this ... usually do the tracks one after the other though and then mix them on the computer when i want to get that nerdy about it...

278d7e64a374de26f==