PDA

View Full Version : Brad Lee "XYZLONIC CHLORAL"

BRADLEE
19-12-2005, 08:34 PM
http://www.labdepotinc.com/files/products/glassware/Modified%20Chemical%20Picture.jpg

Something I am working on. Still not 100% done, but thought I'd post it just to see what people think. I still need to turn up the sub a bit, but I think it's coming along well. Hope you guys enjoy it.

http://iluvtekno.com/BRADLEE_Xyzlonic_Chloral.mp3

log:one
19-12-2005, 11:39 PM
yes.

this is really good. excellent atmosphere to the whole track.

love the edits, the freaky vocal works really well too.

like you say, the bottom could be a bit beefier i reckon.
also imo the pitched up kicks could be a little quieter, they kind of take away from the main one a little. or maybe the main one could just be a smidge more powerful, then you could keep the high ones the same as they do sound cool.

kudos.

BRADLEE
19-12-2005, 11:47 PM
yes.

this is really good. excellent atmosphere to the whole track.

love the edits, the freaky vocal works really well too.

like you say, the bottom could be a bit beefier i reckon.
also imo the pitched up kicks could be a little quieter, they kind of take away from the main one a little. or maybe the main one could just be a smidge more powerful, then you could keep the high ones the same as they do sound cool.

kudos.

Thank you sir. I sort of like how the pitched up kicks sound myself, but I think if I adjust the main portion it might level that out. So I will give that a shot. And dually noted on the bass.

I appreciate you taking your time to listen. Thank you sir for the comments.

Stodgy
21-12-2005, 12:41 PM
This if f**cking brilliant. Without doubt the most upfront sound I have heard on here so far.

WOW.

Sucha simple groove but it does so much damage!

dirty_bass
21-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Nice, pretty interesting and a nice use of sample layers.

I found the overall sound very cold and plastic, too digital.
Some of the samples sound low quality in terms of bit rate, maybe you`ve used bity redutcion? or maybe you`ve squeezed them to much with eq and compression
This mix could really do with more warmth, and a bit more depth in the EQ spread.

BRADLEE
21-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I thought this was my best mixdown yet......so I guess I don't know where else to go on it as far as mixdown goes.

As for some things sounding digital, I'm guessing that is the synth noise I use later in the track and probably some of the percussion....I used some sid station samples in this....since it's an 8 bit digital machine....I'd guess that is what you're talking about.....

I don't have any compression on the master channel though..so I don't think it's because I've over compressed it.

I guess I'm just at a loss really, I thought it sounded pretty good.

audioinjection
21-12-2005, 04:48 PM
yeah this is nice dude, and the production sounds clean........but i kinda agree with steve, it does sound a bit thin, but that can be fixed easily

but man, this track is really nice

BRADLEE
21-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Thank you also David. Thank you for the suggestions too Steve. I will do my best to try and make the mixdown a bit phatter and with more warmth. I'll leave it posted, but I'll also update the link when it's a bit better.

I'm glad you guys seem to like the track itself though....now I just need to hone my mastering skills.

Thank you both for taking your time to comment on the tune and to try and assist me to get better.

eyeswithoutaface
21-12-2005, 06:47 PM
really liked the sequencing on this actually and some of the atmospheres, but i really dont think the kick suits the track, it's very thin and hollow sounding, a really full, warm low end kick would suit alot better i think. Sound's very clean for sure, but there could be alot more warmth to the mix and also some of the elements are high in the mix

good track though

BRADLEE
21-12-2005, 06:56 PM
really liked the sequencing on this actually and some of the atmospheres, but i really dont think the kick suits the track, it's very thin and hollow sounding, a really full, warm low end kick would suit alot better i think. Sound's very clean for sure, but there could be alot more warmth to the mix and also some of the elements are high in the mix

good track though

Wow, the one man I never expected to comment. Thank you Scotty. I am glad that you like it overall too. I will mess with the kicks a little more too. I have a couple layered at the moment, so I'll try some differant ones out to see if I can improve that. Kris told me the exact same thing when I started it....so I guess it's really time for me to address that as well. Much appreciated for the comments bro. I just hope I can get it sorted so it becomes perfect....or atleast as close as I can get it.

To everyone who left me feedback, thank you very much. I really appreciate all of the comments and I hope I can make it better with the suggestions you guys have given me. This is why I love BOA.

Mindful
21-12-2005, 07:40 PM
This sucks.
Hehe onley joking it rocks, The vibe and track itself is dope, would rock any hard techno club I should imagine.
Production wise it sounds perty good.
After a good few listens I think that maybe the mids alltho they sound very open and in your face are maybe too loud in the mix compared to the kick and bass(alltho this may just be the way I prefere my own mix downs dude)
I deffo think you could get some more warmth and energy from the bottom end so maybe this would make the mids sound a little better(alltho like I say this may just be my preference and style of mixdowns)

Tune content wise tho this rocks

BRADLEE
21-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Thank you as well Steve. Warming up of the track now in progress so wish me luck :cheese:

loopdon
22-12-2005, 10:15 PM
really like this one and def. your best mixdown yet!
you have your sound, homie, nice one!

:paranoid:

BRADLEE
22-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks Martin. I have also adjusted a few things and given it more low end. I still am not sure it's is any warmer though....

http://iluvtekno.com/BRADLEE_Xyzlonic_Chloral_heavyKick.mp3

orac
23-12-2005, 10:04 AM
You have your style, that's for sure. About track I like it a lot, cool edits and nice vocal. I'm not sure about this high pitched kicks, they sound little plastic, would like to hear this without them and the main kick volumed down. Just downloaded second version, low parts are better, but now they are little distorted. Yes, i also love mastering process ;- )
Anyway really good track, you know how to do it friend :- )

eyeswithoutaface
23-12-2005, 10:18 AM
just checked the second one, it is a little warmer but not much really to be honest, it's a bit warmer in the low's but not overall, the mix sounds quite dry overall i thought and some of the levels are not in balance with each other, everything feel's kinda pushed to the limit and doesnt leave much headroom. Try putting the mastering thing out of your head, and concentrate on specifically processing the actual track parts/channels more, as really you want to get the sound as natural, balanced and full as you can before you try any mastering on it.

i really think the plastic sounding kicks should go, they take away the main rhythm somewhat and cut through really loud and thin, very top-mid and this leave's a strange feeling of space imo. The mix need's to gel together alot more still i thought, and maybe bring the master level down and work more power into the seperate elements, try cutting the bass on the kick to around 60 - 50 hz, or there abouts, fiddle around a little.

it's a good track, and a clean mixdown but clean doesnt always mean effective, full etc

it not crit so dont take it the wrong way, just trying to provide a more detailed view, not that im an expert or anything, just offering tips!

holotropik
23-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Bloody noice work man.
I only listened to the second version. I found it sweet as. Everything in its place from this end.
The thing i liked most was that subtle undertone throughout the track, i found that I listened to that mostly while everything was going kaoss around it. Very catchy element. Its hard to say if i would make that tone more a prominent feature of this track or not....?? I would like a version that really showcased that tone in a way....like bring it out by itself during the track somehow?? It is a mad frequency and it is addictive in a way. As I type this I can still hear it clearly.

There is a good mix of beats and sounds too. Trippy vocals that are twisted enough to be taken widely. Percs are pretty std techno stylee but I think that there are enough other things going on that are original enough for this track to stand out. Its also hard to say if the bottom end is developed enough as well?? I found that it lacked some character here but that may be opinion rather than suitability.

BRADLEE
23-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Ahh, I have to redo the whole mixdown again. I liked the first version much better myself. Back to the drawing board...I'll re-post it after my holiday. Or if I get a chance on my lunchbreak, I'll try and **** with it again. Yes Scott I think you're right abou the kick, plus it sounds a bit hollow I think. So I'm just going to see what I can do again. After about another good 10 listens, I really don't like the second version.....That kick did push it more into the reds and sort of muddied everything up. So time for some spring cleaning again.... :lol:

And thank you Holotropik, sorry amigo I don't know you're real name. I think it will be even better when it's done. Going to sort it out one more time and I"ll have you peep it out. Thank you for checking it out and commenting. Much appreciated.

278d7e64a374de26f==