PDA

View Full Version : Roland MC909

vinvanman
20-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Hello everybody ,

Just wondering if anybody here is using a Ronland MC909 for producing techno / electro , I'm thinking of moving more into hardware and I'm looking for something like a groovebox that can do it all in one. Is the MC909 worth it ?

Thanks

Vinny .

AcidTrash
20-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Seems a bit gimmicky to me. The idea of multi-role hardware doesn't appeal. For that sort of money you might as well buy a laptop and a seriously good soundcard then buy individual synths and drum machines.

AcidTrash
20-12-2005, 05:29 PM
If the mc303/307/505 are anything to go by its gonna be a bit toss in a short time.

eyeswithoutaface
20-12-2005, 08:05 PM
yeah, really not worth it for production imo but i know alot of people like to use such groovebox's as midi triggers and what have you

but there are VST's out there that would knock the pants off these cruddy grooveboxes anyday so imo id leave them alone

AcidTrash
20-12-2005, 08:27 PM
They are a bit fisher price. The sort of thing rich students get their daddies to buy them after their first hip hop party in frshers week. Hence the price for comparitively **** all.

RDR
21-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Seems a bit gimmicky to me. The idea of multi-role hardware doesn't appeal. For that sort of money you might as well buy a laptop and a seriously good soundcard then buy individual synths and drum machines.+

Wrong, sorry pete, the 505/303 are a big bunch of toss compared to the 909..

i know someone who uses it, and its a seriously impressive piece of equipment.

get it if you want, but for gods sake play around with it extensively first. go to a music tech store and act like you got the coin for it, then spend at LEAST 4 hours in the shop playing on it. that really is the only way you can be sure, unless you have a friend with one.

ive seen and heard it live and the sound quality and depth on the convertors is phat. typically roland phatness,

but you need to make sure you are happy with the OS and its way of working.. cos you cant change it. My mate who has one in scotland has used it on many occasion and i realloy enjoy his sets and he isnt the most knowledgeable of producers, however he is a really good DJ and he says the 909 is totally intuative for him...

best advice - play wiht it first, after all - you wouldnt buy a virtual instrument without downloading the demo first, and for that much money you damn well better be sure.

;)

chris.

RDR
21-12-2005, 12:04 AM
yeah, really not worth it for production imo but i know alot of people like to use such groovebox's as midi triggers and what have you

but there are VST's out there that would knock the pants off these cruddy grooveboxes anyday so imo id leave them alone

Sorry scott, i think you are wrong.

RDR
21-12-2005, 12:05 AM
they ARE expensive...

but if the cap fits..

your girlfriend wont get pregnant.

dirty_bass
21-12-2005, 12:59 AM
The MC909 is NOT just a little groove box. This is a very good piece of kit to use for a live PA.
I came very very close to getting one of these myself, as a mate of mine uses one and I got to have a good play.
As an all in one production tool, I would advise against it. You`ll get more professional results from a laptop, a soft studio and a midi controller like the behringer bcf2000.
However for a beginners workstation it would be fine, but really it seems to work best as a live performance tool and I`d be happy to use one if I hadn`t gone down the ableton road.

dan the acid man
21-12-2005, 02:05 AM
yeah, i've seen someone who makes drum n bass use his, it was better than i thought it would be

vinvanman
21-12-2005, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the replys ,

dirty_bass just like you my mate has one but he doesn't use it for techno or anything really but the preset patterns, i dont think his got past the presets yet . i really liked some of its features but i never really used it for more then playing around persets myself. i might just pay him a visite very soon

So if you where to recomend a hardware drum machine and synth or an all in one for techno / electro whats worth looking at ? Any good TR-909 copys ? I'm just looking for somewhere to start as there is shit loads of gear available as you all know .

RDR
21-12-2005, 09:01 AM
MPC 2000s can be picked up cheap and they still sound wicked...

as for synths... jeez now your asking!!!
The synth with the most amount of modulatyion capabilities is what you want. TBH the question is like asking - "Which car is best for roads?"

My advice is to check out as many synths as possible on manufacturers sites, listen to demos and try and make up your mind that way.

Alternatively i found these synths to be fun to use.

Novation K Station
Nord Rack 2
Alesis Ion

dan the acid man
21-12-2005, 10:30 AM
the korg electribes are pretty nifty too, and once again, can be used well in a live setup

alsynthe
21-12-2005, 10:45 AM
im currently saving for an mc909 to use as a livetool.

look at the demo videos and specs on the roland website it can do alot more than people seem to think

vinvanman
21-12-2005, 01:54 PM
rite lads ,

I think i'll go look at some korg electribes there seems to be eought of them around at a good price.

MPC 2000s looks great , it's got a good rep

thanks again,

dirty_bass
21-12-2005, 03:17 PM
There is no all in one hardware worth getting for serious production other than a Mac or a PC.
In terms of synths, I`d trawl the second hand buys on ebay, hardware prices are dropping as people abandon them.
V Station or K station
A Novation drum station
Juno 106
Yamaha DX7
I think you can get old sh101`s for good money now
of course you will then need a good mixer.
I`d probably go for mackie unless you have a lot of cash to throw about.
Then you will need some good compressors, and maybe some fx and multi fx units.
Also some nice monitros, I`d recommend fostex PM-1 really good for the price.

Or just get some really good control surfaces, and buy a soft studio.

eyeswithoutaface
21-12-2005, 06:54 PM

Sorry scott, i think you are wrong.

why be sorry? each to their own, i dont like them, some do, thats great!

Mindful
21-12-2005, 08:53 PM
they ARE expensive...

but if the cap fits..

your girlfriend wont get pregnant.

Haha

machina
21-12-2005, 11:09 PM
There is no all in one hardware worth getting for serious production other than a Mac or a PC.

not necessarily true, but you are looking at a shitload of money for something decent - the oasys and the triton's etc can pretty much do everything to a very pro level, but with the price tag you could buy 8 or 9 computers.

machina

dirty_bass
22-12-2005, 12:52 AM

not necessarily true, but you are looking at a shitload of money for something decent - the oasys and the triton's etc can pretty much do everything to a very pro level, but with the price tag you could buy 8 or 9 computers.

machina

The problem with the triton and oasys, i sthat you are essentially buying a very expensive PC limited to Korg sounds.
Having seen the uncomfortable working environment the provide I can`t see any advantage they have over a shit hot pc with midi keyboard and controller.
I suupose they are probably the only example of a worthwhile all in one for producing, but at that price you are better of shopping for second hand deals on much cooler kit.

machina
22-12-2005, 01:16 AM
The problem with the triton and oasys, i sthat you are essentially buying a very expensive PC limited to Korg sounds.
Having seen the uncomfortable working environment the provide I can`t see any advantage they have over a shit hot pc with midi keyboard and controller.
I suupose they are probably the only example of a worthwhile all in one for producing, but at that price you are better of shopping for second hand deals on much cooler kit.

Yeah, i absolutely agree - I've always found that dedicated gear that tries to do one thing well is better value and much more likely to stand the test of time. Stuff that tries to do everything almost always achieves mediocre results. That said - i've got a mpc4000 and a spectralis, both of which are marketed as 'all-in-one' boxes and i'm extremely happy with both... but i don't really try to use them as 'all-in-one' solutions.

machina

278d7e64a374de26f==