PDA

View Full Version : After reading recent posts, please help me clarify...

Agent Orange NYC
20-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Please help me with some True/False answers and maybe some explanation.

When a Techno track (or label) is commercial that is a bad thing?

If an underground track crosses over and becomes popular in many scenes, it's not considered cool or 'real' techno anymore?

There is no cheese in 'real' Techno records?

It is bad to release alot?

It is not being true to yourself if you like to play and/or produce more than one genre?

If you don't go out anymore you can still complain about the scene? (even if dont really know what currently goes on)

The Square root of 49 = 7?

Any help would be appreciated :cheese:

eyeswithoutaface
20-12-2005, 07:01 PM
When a Techno track (or label) is commercial that is a bad thing? - No, far from it, but if its a blatant move to make some cash, then yeah. A commercial track can still be oozing with credibilty.

If an underground track crosses over and becomes popular in many scenes, it's not considered cool or 'real' techno anymore? - There is no underground, really, what a ****ing cheesy term that is anyway

There is no cheese in 'real' Techno records? - Of course there is, but you need to define 'real' techno first

It is bad to release alot? - No, as long as the quality is there and its not just rinsing it

It is not being true to yourself if you like to play and/or produce more than one genre? - that doesnt make sense at all, if doing different genre's is your style then of course its being true to yourself, it's when you supress the urge to do something different that your not

If you don't go out anymore you can still complain about the scene? (even if dont really know what currently goes on) - Of course you can complain, our ancestors fought long and hard for the right to free speech, but of course if your not actively involved in a scene your opinion on it wont be held in high regard

dtl
20-12-2005, 07:05 PM
It is bad to release alot? - No, as long as the quality is there and its not just rinsing it

Just wanna add "If the producer produce a high volume of records and still able to provide suprises to the punters track after track, then he or she deserves to be on many labels. Really."

Patrick DSP
20-12-2005, 07:09 PM
now this is just my opinion....
When a Techno track (or label) is commercial that is a bad thing? True

If an underground track crosses over and becomes popular in many scenes, it's not considered cool or 'real' techno anymore? False

There is no cheese in 'real' Techno records? False

It is bad to release alot? if you have cake everyday it's a bad thing too. so True

It is not being true to yourself if you like to play and/or produce more than one genre? False

If you don't go out anymore you can still complain about the scene? (even if dont really know what currently goes on) False

The Square root of 49 = 7? True in this dimension

obviously my answers are tounge in cheek, but i do see your point. I don't think there is anything wrong when making music that keeps to artistic integraty. Its a personly thing the artist has with the music. but i'll bet you $1000000 that the music fans can smell a sell out from their track. When the intent of the artists is to only cash in on what's big and the heart in the music is gone, that's pretty obvious in the quality of the tracks.

Please help me with some True/False answers and maybe some explanation.

If an underground track crosses over and becomes popular in many scenes, it's not considered cool or 'real' techno anymore?

It is not being true to yourself if you like to play and/or produce more than one genre?

If you don't go out anymore you can still complain about the scene? (even if dont really know what currently goes on)

Any help would be appreciated :cheese:

Ritzi Lee
20-12-2005, 07:48 PM
False to all questions, except the last one.
A square root can be any binary function over some algebraic field with it's own arithmetic rules... So the correctness of that question depends on the axioms, theorems, propositions and corrolaries you have to follow.

djshiva
20-12-2005, 07:48 PM
when it comes to cheese i prefer cheddar.

feta is fine too.

Stella Boy
20-12-2005, 08:13 PM
you show me a techno fan who hasn't danced and smiled away to a cheesey track in a club at least once in their life and i'll show you a stuck up techno snob who's too cool for school.

eyeswithoutaface
20-12-2005, 08:31 PM
i dont get why people think cheese is instantly a bad thing? there's a difference between a cheesy track, and a shit track

dan the acid man
20-12-2005, 08:53 PM
its easy peasy with cheesy peas...................................sorry :oops:

eyeswithoutaface
20-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Dan, you must have alot of coats

davethedrummer
20-12-2005, 09:14 PM
not necessarily my opinion .......

true ( ie: intec who ( quite rightly) get a slagging at every opportunity )

true ( ie: murder was the bass , a real cheese fest if ever i heard one .....disgusting! )

absolutely !
no cheese whatsoever , real techno is deadly ( deadly serious ) and should not make you smile/dance/enjoy yourself at all
( except "strings of life" because jeff mills plays it and it was made in detroit )

yes because you are obviously milking it
and should step aside to let fresh talent to come through.

true , you must remain underground and peniless until you DIE!!!

of course
the school disco is a perfect reference source for modern day clubbing /drinking / drug taking lifestyles
you learn how to dress badly / fool around with the opposite sex / and smoke/drink behind teachers back.

who cares

the square root of 49 is a fish !!

i really couldn't care less

hope this helps clear things up

i'm rea,lly sorry to dissapoint you but i just had a telephone entry from jeff mills
and he says...........

"its all boll@cks"

so there we have it
straight from the horses mouth.

eyeswithoutaface
20-12-2005, 09:32 PM
haha well if thats what jeff says...

and re murder was the bass, well, the remix that was massive is probably my worst track ever, but people forget the original, which was ****ing fantastic electro/techno

dan the acid man
20-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Dan, you must have alot of coats

i even have a cupboard full, i call it a cloak cupboard :oops:

MARKEG
21-12-2005, 01:30 AM
> Please help me with some True/False answers and maybe some explanation.

1) When a Techno track (or label) is commercial that is a bad thing?

I say no if they're into the music. As long as that label still keeps the ethos of underground music (ie not signing artists/tracks cause they're gonna make shed loads) then that's cool. And that's a big problem imho - alot a labels dont see that this is possible or don't do this once they become commercial. I see Novamute as a good example of a commercial label that is trying to do the best ;)

2) If an underground track crosses over and becomes popular in many scenes, it's not considered cool or 'real' techno anymore?

It's definitely cool if it hasnt had the PR machine and then managed to make it to the top! But you tell me those tracks - I could count them on one hand!

(It's also cool if some small bloke has discovered the PR machine, had massive sucess and then kept the PR machine at bay and done what he wants to do!!! ie he's manipulated the machine imo!!)

3) There is no cheese in 'real' Techno records?

Cheese? Techno? No way.

4) It is bad to release alot?

No.. learn your market. Get your feedback! Make yourself better!

5) It is not being true to yourself if you like to play and/or produce more than one genre?

Oh man don't make me start. Close yourself to one genre? How can you seriously do anything different if you focus on one sound? Think about it. Listen to techno, jazz, experimental, trance, pop, electro whatever. Stop critisizing and just listen. Music is music.

PS If you don't go out anymore you can still complain about the scene?

PPS For sure. I DJ every week. Sure it influences me. But when I didn't I remember being so in to this music who cared if I didn't go out. I suppose if you don't go out anymore you cant' complain about the scene BUT you can complain about the music. And good on ya. We need that!!

6) The Square root of 49 = 7?

Couldn't give a SHIEEETE!!!

Any help would be appreciated :cheese:[/quote]

Dustin Zahn
21-12-2005, 09:16 AM
If it feels good, do it.

davethedrummer
21-12-2005, 10:54 AM
If it feels good, do it.

obviously with the exception of rape/murder/paedophilia etc etc....

Jay Pace
21-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Everything and everyone that I don't like is bad/wrong/cheesy/sellout

zaalmoetlos
21-12-2005, 03:17 PM

when is something commercial? A lot of people are just pissed off cause they earn none and others earn some. I think most music which falls under techno is not commercial simply cause the people behind it don't make million dollar deals whith a n.e.r.d. remix on every 12inch. I personally will never play an intec record because it is not what i like but to call someone commercial who is earning slightly more then you are is bollocks i.m.o. If they're only aim in life was earnig as much cash as possible and all they ever did was only for the money they would choose something which would make them more probably.

purist have a strange look at the world it changes when too many people agree so if you mean "real" as in purist techno you are right

i couldn't care less but the only one i ever liked that did that was knights of the jaguar

there's no cheese in techno i like

it's bad to release a lot of bad records/ or similar records (like some italians did)

i think you're not true to yourself if you only play/produce within a very narrow niche of types of records i cant imagine people being so one sided in there taste that they will only play records that sound the same

some people will complain about everything and when there is nothing to complain about they will complain about not being able to complain. but to answer you're question no

yep

Dustin Zahn
21-12-2005, 05:13 PM
If it feels good, do it.

obviously with the exception of rape/murder/paedophilia etc etc....

Haha, yeah I suppose that is important to point out with some of the crazies on this forum...the sexual legalities of course. :cheese:

Mindful
21-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Q 6...If you don't go out anymore you can still complain about the scene? (even if dont really know what currently goes on)

There is more to a scene than being in a club so my answer is yes, If the state of some of the music pisses you off from hearing it at home then have a bloody good grumble about it(and try to do somthing about it)

Or the best answer so far is "if it feels good, do it.

davethedrummer
21-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Q 6...If you don't go out anymore you can still complain about the scene? (even if dont really know what currently goes on)

There is more to a scene than being in a club so my answer is yes, If the state of some of the music pisses you off from hearing it at home then have a bloody good grumble about it(and try to do somthing about it)

Or the best answer so far is "if it feels good, do it.

it's always worth having a good old moan about music i reckon :toast:

dirty_bass
22-12-2005, 12:41 AM
What was the question again?

Ned
22-12-2005, 12:47 AM

yes.

Mindful
22-12-2005, 01:47 PM

yes.

I dissagree

Miromiric
22-12-2005, 01:47 PM
mindful=bashful

Mindful
22-12-2005, 01:58 PM
gosh thanks.

Mouthful

davethedrummer
22-12-2005, 02:28 PM
gosh thanks.

Mouthful

earfull :eh:

Patrick DSP
22-12-2005, 05:25 PM

yes.

I dissagree

don't know the question but i do know the answer is 42.

massplanck
22-12-2005, 06:21 PM
gosh thanks.

Mouthful

earfull :eh:

Amputee Midget Sex :toast:

Agent Orange NYC
22-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Do you think the lack of accessablilty in Techno is what's driving old fans and new possible fans toward the more minimal sound? (That along with the oversaturation of half ass produced records)

davethedrummer
22-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Do you think the lack of accessablilty in Techno is what's driving old fans and new possible fans toward the more minimal sound? (That along with the oversaturation of half ass produced records)

i think thats possibly whats driving everybody mad on here

fish cakes ! :clown:

davethedrummer
22-12-2005, 08:30 PM
you w@nkers !

davethedrummer
22-12-2005, 08:31 PM
you w@nkers !

ahh f*ck !!!
that was supposed to be a new topic !!!!

oh well here goes........

The Divide
22-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Do you think the lack of accessablilty in Techno is what's driving old fans and new possible fans toward the more minimal sound?

Bang on

When I go out I just cant find wheel chair access, been an old fan it means I resort to taking my zimmer and although it comes in handy as a 'tripping device' it sure does get in the way. The minimal sound however, is just much more suitable for shaking my olde bones

dan the acid man
22-12-2005, 08:40 PM
i hear you can get medication to stop your bones shaking these days

oldbugger
23-12-2005, 04:08 AM
not necessarily my opinion .......

true ( ie: intec who ( quite rightly) get a slagging at every opportunity )

or tidy maybe? :lol:

holotropik
23-12-2005, 09:41 AM
It is all about intent and individuality. If that aint there IT aint there.

Jay Pace
23-12-2005, 09:53 AM
I think its all a schranz backlash. Everyone simultaneously realised that its rubbish, and lashed out with popping farty noises.

echodek
23-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Indeed! But we don't want to get caught in a backlash backlash... For every Alex Smoke farting into Beat Repeat, there's a Monolake, or Sleeparchive making absolutely ace music.

davethedrummer
23-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Indeed! But we don't want to get caught in a backlash backlash... For every Alex Smoke farting into Beat Repeat, there's a Monolake, or Sleeparchive making absolutely ace music.

or a backlash backlash backlash , which in my opinion is the worst kind of backlash you can get these days.

rhythmtech
23-12-2005, 06:33 PM
being on the receiving end of any kinda backlash aint nice... and it takes bloody ages for the limp to go (or so i've heard).

dirty_bass
23-12-2005, 09:36 PM
I`m completely lost here.

dan the acid man
23-12-2005, 10:13 PM
I`m completely lost here.

take the next left past the furry tree with elfs dancing around it, and then you will stumble upon the enchanted land of bhs vests

dirty_bass
23-12-2005, 10:19 PM
ooh ooh, BHS is the land of kings

davethedrummer
24-12-2005, 01:24 PM
ooh ooh, BHS is the land of kings

what ever happened to them
BHS were a good band

278d7e64a374de26f==