PDA

View Full Version : applying filter sweeps

Col
07-08-2003, 10:54 PM
right i was just wondering how everyone went about applying filter sweeps (low&high):

is there a function in the cubase controller editor to do this to midi parts?
and at the same time how come the only function in the controller editor i can edit is the velocity? (im using cubase 5)

or do you record movements of a filter related plug-in (applying the same movements to each individual part) to gain that sweeping effect?

or is there another way?

DJZeMig_L
08-08-2003, 02:20 AM
Okie... first If u r working on a midi track u r in fact working on information/ data not in audio per se... when u use the midi out of that track 2 a machine or a virtual instrument then u get a few sounds (or not depending on the data u r sending, settings, etc...) ... so U ain't gonna get filters on data...
if u r using that midi track 2 "play" a virtual isntrument or something then u can just open it's pannel (in fact works 4 basically any plug in or VST i) then press the little W button, press play .. play with the knobs you need... stop, U have just created an automation track in the main arrange page... now press W again (2 deactivate) then R (read)... now when u press play u should have yer automated filter sweep...

If u r using an external synth U have 2 record yer knob tweeks 2 ..

If u know the Midi Controller number of yer filters just go to the main page... click on the drop down list u find in the key editor (piano roll) were u generaly find velocity... if u can't find that controller just press setup.. now from the left list choose the controler and add it 2 the right list, ok... now drop down the list again and there u should find the controller number u added... just use the pensil 2 draw it...

If u've just recorded yer knob tweeks when u go 2 the key editor and u press the drop down list (where u generally find Velocity) u'll find with an * the controllers u've just recorded...

phewww.. after a few times u'll understand this isn't as complicated as it look's!!!

Z

Col
08-08-2003, 11:11 AM
[quote="COL ECSTATIC"]

is there a function in the cubase controller editor to do this to midi parts?
quote]

thanks ze migl

how do you apply a filter sweep to audio parts? is there a function in the controller editor that allows me to this? as i said before ive tried to use the other functions in there but there dosent seem to be any data there, i can only effect the velocity.

DJZeMig_L
09-08-2003, 02:25 AM
no man, this is donne via plug in automation (not via controlers on the midi key editor drop down list).. ex: just choose a nice filter plug in as an insert 4 yer audio track (or vst i) ... then the proced~e as the top explanation (w for recording automation, R for reading the recorded automation)... another way is 2 use the eq as a low pass (choose de highs eq, change the Q setting until u get a cut filter) or an high pass (low eq).. but cubase mkixer's eq. sound a bit digital! :(

Z

Col
09-08-2003, 12:49 PM
thanks again mate :wink:

DJZeMig_L
09-08-2003, 01:11 PM
no prob... btw.. check this forum 'cause the issue of automating stuff in SX has come up quite a few times.

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==