PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy Access Virus or New computer???

michael00elder
23-12-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm trying to save up a bit of dosh and just wondered what anyone thought it was worth going for.
I've always wanted a Virus and having alook at the new TI, I am drooling at the lips at the prospect of getting one (even if it would take a few months to raise the capital).

But I was looking at a audio specific computer the other day for £1300 which had a dual core AMD 64 processor, 2 Gb ram etc. it would certainly give me a bit more power than the 2.4 Ghz machine I've got at the moment. Plus, by the time I've raised the capital, the specs of a computer for that amount would probably be a **** lot better.

What would you lot do????

DjLiamB
26-12-2005, 10:21 AM
get both

EmotionComplex
29-12-2005, 10:37 PM
go for the computer definetly, Theres a lot of problems with the Ti right now and access havent finished solving them yet.
And its no were near as totally intergrated as they made it out to be either, i own the virus C and pre orderd a Ti late last year, ended up cancelling it beggining of this year after it was delayed and im glad i did, theres major problems with sync in Ti mode, theres only 4 simultanious outputs in Ti mode also, when i expected it to be the full 16 parts. ridiculous of them i think.

If i were you id invest my money in a powerful and stable music pc then either a) buy a second hand virus B or C for a couple of hundred quid or b) invest in a powercore card and virus plug in and have real intergration instead of the Ti's wobbly effort.

No doubt access will sort out the problems a few os updates down the line or via a hardware recall but untill then i wouldnt fork out 1200 quid for one and i the fact theyd release a peice of hardware so buggy for so much money is plain cheeky.

MARKEG
30-12-2005, 01:16 AM
i'd actually say computer too.

outboard is ESSENTIAL but stable and fully functioning work horse is twenty times more essential imo

Adrian A
30-12-2005, 05:49 PM
I was reading in Future Music mag that in a couple of months virus are bringing out the virus ti MK2 model which should stop all the problems with the software their having at the moment. This months future music has a 3 page review on the Ti aswell. ;)

EmotionComplex
31-12-2005, 01:27 AM
mk2 eh, im interested to see what they improve and how they go about refunding and/or replacing the original versions that were bought.

they defo need to give it usb2 or firewire connectivity instead of its silly usb1, then they could open it upto 16 intergrated outputs and actually have the synth they made out they were going to have!

and poor sync is basically a catastrophy on any synthesizer.

damn if they could deliver a stable Ti with that kinda intergration id seriously consider buying one again.

Adrian A
03-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Oops I made a mistake about the Mk2 i thought it said it would be replaced by an mk2 model when it actually said so their will be no need for an mk2 version.!! :bash:
But on the bright side they do have new software updates to download on their web site but according to them all the problems with it have been fixed thats why it was delayed for so long!! Hmm... we'll see..

danielmarshall
19-03-2006, 11:29 PM
DON'T go for performance over quality when selecting a new computer/ parts. Stability will in the long run save you much more grief than that extra couple of extra Mhtz, or a larger HD - which you can easily learn to work around. Heck, for £1300 you could land yourself a pretty sweet PC, and still have a fair bit to spend on a decent sound card too.

As for the Virus, there are plenty of very powerful VSTis that can emulate most of the sounds you'll find on the TI, though it's certainly nice to have the real deal. Knobs are nice... Dunno if I'd be prepared to fork out that much cash though - I'm not a professional musician (yet), so I have to be sensible.

278d7e64a374de26f==