PDA

View Full Version : curve pusher ending? is immersion done?

anx
29-12-2005, 07:40 PM
just wondering what the deal is with this, i only heard it in rumor form, so i could be off...but thats the word on the street....is lawrie done pressing tunes? how about even music? he hasnt released anything by himself on either pounding grooves or routemaster....has he called it quits and become a family man?

hopefully someone has confirmation on this....henry? mark? anyone?

xfive
29-12-2005, 07:54 PM
I dunno...
He cut our plates 2 weeks ago and they apparently came out great.. just waiting on the TPs now.

dan the acid man
29-12-2005, 08:33 PM
sounds like one of those horrible rumour thingys again

dirty_bass
29-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Yep, I was in for a cut the other week and things are fine, by all accounts lawrie has been damn busy running both the pressings and the cutting room.
Hopefully he`ll have more time on his hands in the new year, and (I was badgering him about pounding grooves) wants to get back in the studio and get creative again, with all the various labels he runs, as well as committing more fully just to the pressing side of things (which let`s face it, he`s really feckin good at).

Why not get in contact with him and book a Pounding Grooves PA? I doubt anyone would be dissapointed to hear it, and you know he`ll destroy the gaff.
And it`s a real rarity to see him work the PG machine.

I love lawries techno, underrated in the techno world as a whole I reckon (outside the acid-tech scene), he`s not affraid to experiment, and sometimes it doesn`t work, which I think is a real sign of adventure and the search for the less obvious, and of course sometimes it really works, and he`s not affraid to cheese it right up now again too.
Some of the stuff on Technoslut was ahead of it`s time, and misunderstood.

All hail Immersion Soundsystem, the reason I got involved in this whole crazy game in the first place.

Respect paid.

dan the acid man
30-12-2005, 12:16 AM
yep well said, seen him play live before, he absolutely destroyed the place :techno:

dirty_bass
30-12-2005, 03:49 AM
as well as committing more fully just to the pressing side of things (which let`s face it, he`s really feckin good at).

I meant cutting
Doh.

Stodgy
30-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Lawrie's cut all our tunes and done a damn fine job too, so I hope this is all just viscious rumour.

I did hear he recently had problems with hackney council over the proposed plans for the 2012 olympics and the location of his business. Apparently they want him to move and are offering piss poor compo in return. I'm not 100% sure but this might be the reason for the rumours.

davethedrummer
30-12-2005, 06:23 PM
he's just finshed building a new studio
and i think i'll be working in there with him sometime in the new year on some pounding grooves trax
so don't panic ! it's all o.k.

dan the acid man
30-12-2005, 07:04 PM
he's just finshed building a new studio
and i think i'll be working in there with him sometime in the new year on some pounding grooves trax
so don't panic ! it's all o.k.

now that sounds good :techno: :techno: :techno: :techno: :techno: :techno:

Dustin Zahn
31-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Lawrie cut some stuff for Abiotic and other labels I've been on. I've been really pleased with his cuts. I remember he put out a mix cd about 5 years ago for Fine Audio. I found it about a month or two ago and threw it in for shits and giggles and it still rocks. For that sound I still think Lawrie is at the top of the game. I'm not all that much into stuff that hard anymore but once in a while it's always great to hear Pounding Grooves at work.

lunatrick
31-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Why not get in contact with him and book a Pounding Grooves PA? I doubt anyone would be dissapointed to hear it, and you know he`ll destroy the gaff.
And it`s a real rarity to see him work the PG machine.

we had him down last year and he rocked.....not sure why he doesn't play out (pa + dj) a bit more.....he is a little bit on the expensive side mind....but that said i totally agree he's underated. He probably doesn't have the profile of some of his peers as he's a bit more invisible, i don't think he pushes it that much.....which must be a nice position to be in....

MARKEG
01-01-2006, 10:40 AM
jesus i don't know where we would be without lawrie.

i don't think alot of ppl realise how important he actually is in the industry.

rhythmtech
01-01-2006, 12:40 PM

he is a very important player and between routemaster, pattern play + PGV he has influenced a lot of people.

unfortunatly i probably wouldn't book him. i spent a bit of time with him last time he played dublin and i found his attitude a little strange. a lot of people say that he's a nice bloke once you know him but first impressions do leave a mark.
i've seen people like chris lib and henry play the shittiest little hell-hole clubs over here without so much as batting an eyelid. lawrie, on the other hand got a little bit diva like. maybe he was having a bad day? i dont know, but i've heard a similiar thing from others.

this isn't a personal attack on the guy (like i said - i dont know him) but on a business level i like to work with people who i get on with (or think i could get on with).

has anyone got experience with him that'll prove me wrong?

dirty_bass
01-01-2006, 06:21 PM

he is a very important player and between routemaster, pattern play + PGV he has influenced a lot of people.

unfortunatly i probably wouldn't book him. i spent a bit of time with him last time he played dublin and i found his attitude a little strange. a lot of people say that he's a nice bloke once you know him but first impressions do leave a mark.
i've seen people like chris lib and henry play the shittiest little hell-hole clubs over here without so much as batting an eyelid. lawrie, on the other hand got a little bit diva like. maybe he was having a bad day? i dont know, but i've heard a similiar thing from others.

this isn't a personal attack on the guy (like i said - i dont know him) but on a business level i like to work with people who i get on with (or think i could get on with).

has anyone got experience with him that'll prove me wrong?

Well, I knew lawrie during the squat party years (not as a mate just as a big player in the Rigs n Squats scene), as I was also doing a rig on the circuit, and considering how badly he got treated in those days I`m not surprised he became a little jaded, or at least cautious. A lot of people don`t realise just how nasty things got on the london squat party scene, and how he was virtualy beaten out of the scene by gangster dealer assbags.
He`s always been known as a little moody, but when you look at where he came from, what he did, and what he is still doing, I think you should be able to tell the guy is pretty genuine and a serious supporter of this whole damn scene.
Sure he doesn`t suck up to every person who books or deals with him, but in a way I find that more honest than just being a terminal
brown noser.
I`ve always liked the guy, and even when I`ve been on the other end of some rather furious rows during the squat years, I still liked his straight up and in your face veracity.

dan the acid man
01-01-2006, 06:30 PM
yeah, like dirty bass says, for somebody thats given so much for the music he believes in and loves, you cant fault the guy.

i've only met him once, and he seemed friendly enough to me.

at the end of the day, he's only human, and we all have bad days i suppose

RDR
01-01-2006, 10:27 PM
He`s always been known as a little moody, but when you look at where he came from, what he did, and what he is still doing, I think you should be able to tell the guy is pretty genuine and a serious supporter of this whole damn scene.
Sure he doesn`t suck up to every person who books or deals with him, but in a way I find that more honest than just being a terminal brown noser.

Firstly i dont know the guy - im going by what has been said here, and if you know him DB then i take your word as straight.

Im not as bigger player as either you or mr PG. However i have been ****ed over for cash on many occasions. But i still manage to treat others in the scene with respect, no matter how big or small.

I have a "friend" who is a player and another who is also a player (no naming names) and their attitude to scenes smaller than they think they are worth is deplorable and mostly downright rude.

I don't know if what lawrie has done warrants the negative comments posted above, and i certainly dont think its my job to judge him, if ANY judgement is needed, but i'll say this...

To all the artists on here (including myself as a reminder)

I costs nothing to be polite, it costs nothing to be gracious and kind - a proffesional attitude should not be linked to the inability to connect with others who play within a scene - no matter how small they appear to be.

It makes me sick to my stomach when i meet people who are both rude and condescending to others (yes i mean ME if you are wondering) and i've met more than a few big name techno DJs who were like that - big and small.

The attitude some people give out (especially within a music scene - of whatever genre) STINKS.

It doesnt have to be that way - niel landstruum - top geezer, not rude or surley, oscar charlie - nice fella,

Im not gonna name the negatives - it wouldnt change anything, besides they are pepople i prefer to forget as despite their position of strength i'd rather do it myself than eat their shit because of their rep.

So my point

On a personal level - i meet you , you rude to me when their was no cause?... screw you! **** yourself!

I meet you - you friendly, helpful, communicative - i take an interest, i recommend, i assist and i buy you a beer.

Which one are you?

RDR
01-01-2006, 10:28 PM
BTW that isnt aimed at you DB.

dirty_bass
01-01-2006, 11:20 PM
I wouldn`t consider myself a player, I`m just doin` the do, not that it matters. And I`m not defending lawrie as such, it`s not my place too.
I will say though, that I know the unbelievable shit that he went through on the squat scene, essentially a scene he was a huge part of, especially in london, I went through the same shit, so I can understand it if that may have caused some apathy within himself.
But yes, there is no real excuse for Diva behaviour, and basic politeness is kinda the least that should be expected.
I`m pretty sure the guy has mellowed a lot anyway, being very removed from the old squat party scene in terms of time healing, and direct involvement.
It`s hard to explain but the end of the 90`s was a really tough time on the london scene, it was a scene destroying itself and being taken over by bad people. I myself ended up becoming someone I didn`t like, because of the things I had to deal with on a weekly basis, that really shouldn`t be a part of a free party. Crack dealers, guns, muggers, all manner of crap, back stabbing from other rigs and crews, all sorts of shit. And the old bill getting closer to your neck each time you stick your head over the parapet, week by week. I mean, I can be a bit of an arse on here, but it`s just me being extremely sarcastic most of the time, and in reality, I`m just a big teddy bear, but by the end of the 90`s, the london scene had made me someone I really wasn`t.
And it kinda seems to me lawrie was in the same place possibly, and he had even more reason to be ****ed up about it. Cos he had been at it longer than me, and everyone was playing his records, he was a huge part of the scene, but a bit more involved than the lib crew at the time because he was still running a soundsystem.
I had a really good chat with Lawrie whilst cutting my new record, and he seems like a totally different guy from then. Far more relaxed, pleasant, calmer, and mellowed. Our soundsystems came to loggerheads a fair few times, and it was really cool to clear old air "the past is the past" were his words, and it was good to find out that we were in fact, being played and screwed by the same people.
So I would say screw the rumours and deal with the "now", I`m not a mate of lawries in any way, but I can understand where he was at from what he went through.

However, if he has treated you bad recently, then I`m just talking shit, and you can all put out ciggarettes on my shins.

At least I`ve tried.

dirty_bass
01-01-2006, 11:20 PM
wow, that many words, I must stop drinking so much gin.

RDR
02-01-2006, 10:23 AM
:lol:

BTW i believe your shins to be butt free.

rhythmtech
02-01-2006, 02:26 PM
DB - what rig where you with in the late 90's? i used to play out a lot back then on U/sound, twited etc.. dont think i ever bumped into you?

tOM B
02-01-2006, 06:27 PM
i met lawrie in 99 when he did a live pa at a small festival in suffolk - he took the time to have a chat with me and i thought he was safe - that's all i can go on, apart from that he has always been (and will continue to be) one of my favourite producers i feel he's always prepared to push boundaries

rhythmtech
02-01-2006, 06:45 PM
i met lawrie in 99 when he did a live pa at a small festival in suffolk - he took the time to have a chat with me and i thought he was safe - that's all i can go on, apart from that he has always been (and will continue to be) one of my favourite producers i feel he's always prepared to push boundaries

thats fair enough. thats y i wanted others opinion of him. i really dont wanna judge the guy on 1 night in 98.

fils_here
02-01-2006, 07:52 PM

yeh totally agree with you on that!!
i saw lawrie ealier on in 2005 dj'ing, certainly knows how to get the dancefllor rocking

lunatrick
02-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I've met him a few times, and whilst he's not the most forth coming of people he's always been polite..........thats just seems to be the way he is.....i think he does take his gigs quite seriously and probably doesn't suffer fools that gladly..I accidentally dropped some of his equipment - he wasn't too impressed understandibly..anyway I apologised ( it was an accident) and he was alright after that.... :razz:

The Overfiend
02-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Pattern Play was probably one of the most influential series on my style.
I hope he presses on at whatever he does. Lawrie's style is king.
Yo Zahn that Fine Audio Mix never gets old it's true.

dirty_bass
03-01-2006, 12:58 AM
DB - what rig where you with in the late 90's? i used to play out a lot back then on U/sound, twited etc.. dont think i ever bumped into you?

I ran Pendulum with Gary.
We generally did the circuit with Insanity (the original) Mayhem, Mainline, Iffy, Crossbones and Stinky Pink.

paulcortex
03-01-2006, 11:55 AM
i always love lawries stuff its a shame he dont get back on the 303 wagon...he did some amazing stuff on routemaster..

as its related...

lawrie immersion....julian liberator.....myself(live) and the usual tribe of munt guys playing on the 21st jan....

link to details...

http://tribeofmunt.co.uk/TomFrameset.htm

(click on events section on right hand munt man)

dirty_bass
03-01-2006, 06:00 PM
cheeky bit of spam there paul
well done on the gig though

paulcortex
03-01-2006, 06:40 PM
;) you knows it :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

yeah im looking forward to it...ive not heard julian liberator for a while and of course lawrie should be cool as usual..

...ive got a new set together mainly on the acid tip :)

just waiting for the money to come through from my house sale and im gonna go more hardware..and get a laptop to make transporting my kit a bit easier.

analog tactic
05-01-2006, 04:21 PM
He is also playing on Tribe of Munt on the 21st. Visit www.tribeofmunt.com for more info.

That is if any of you like squat party style nights.

dirty_bass
05-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah, and there`s a tribe of munt party on the 21st of Jan as well, and lawries playing there.

davethedrummer
06-01-2006, 01:49 AM
Yeah, and there`s a tribe of munt party on the 21st of Jan as well, and lawries playing there.

really? where ?

dirty_bass
06-01-2006, 04:05 AM
In london, on the 21st, at tribe of munt.
Lawries playing there.
Didn`t you know?
It`s on the 21st.

The Overfiend
06-01-2006, 09:45 AM
wow ignored.
hint
got it good.

dan the acid man
06-01-2006, 11:29 AM
who what when and where ?

fatcollective
06-01-2006, 11:40 AM
who what when and where ?

shhhh its a secret :paranoid:

speed-it-up
06-01-2006, 02:11 PM

really? where ?

Hackney Wick.

paulcortex
06-01-2006, 02:54 PM
hackney wick????

....isnt that where tribe of munt are doing a night on the 21st jan?

:lol:

Scott Kemix
07-01-2006, 02:05 AM
Heard this rumour a while back when i went down to curve to get GiveWay 002 cut. Would be a big loss if something like this happened, but it hasnt. Curve is a backbone for the post production of our music..........long live the pusher!

278d7e64a374de26f==