PDA

View Full Version : Chris Leibing @ Teknoworld - I don't get it

man_d
10-08-2003, 11:43 AM
right, someone's got to help me with this...

I've just come back from Chris Leibing at the Fridge.

I don't get it. I don't get the music. To me it was repetitive and couldn't hold my attention. It got on my nerves because there were breaks that made me lose it with the track.

So what am I missing that I should be hearing? Please help, I really want to understand!

crime
10-08-2003, 11:54 AM
I don't get it. I don't get the music. To me it was repetitive and couldn't hold my attention.
I totally understand this bit... I'm not into this repetitive sound...personally I find it boring

It got on my nerves because there were breaks that made me lose it with the track.

I don't get what you mean by this...

Sunil
10-08-2003, 03:12 PM
I don't get it. I don't get the music. To me it was repetitive and couldn't hold my attention.
I totally understand this bit... I'm not into this repetitive sound...personally I find it boring

It got on my nerves because there were breaks that made me lose it with the track.

"lose it" usually means in a good way, perhaps man_D means that the breaks were a bit too long and inappropriate in comparison to the rest of track? Maybe I'm the one not making sense now! :) i like a lot of Liebing's tracks but when I see a mammoth breakdown on the way i generally get out of there! That's why the Stigmata records were always my fave :)

man_d
10-08-2003, 03:16 PM

Yeah, sorry I didn't explain it at all well!

What I meant was when a track was chugging along quite nicely and it would get to the break but instead of having the break and then getting back to the same repetitive stuff as before, just when you were expecting it all to kick back in it was like the break started again, like a loop.

Then the break started arsing around and getting all clever and I was lost. Actually I couldn't have given an arse by then. The tune pissed me off.

Hmm.. not sure that's actually any clearer!

Sunil
10-08-2003, 03:21 PM
[quote]

Hmm.. not sure that's actually any clearer!

It was!

Sunil
10-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Whatever about his DJ performance the new album ("Evolution") is excellent..

davethedrummer
12-08-2003, 02:00 PM
well i was only there for the last hour and a half of his set
but i thought he was pretty good.
he's not really a "skills" dj he had d3 dex but didn't really use them other than to play the odd vinyl track as opposed to the final scratch stuff he was playing.
he had a red loops box , a new korg kaos pad and an air fx and it seemed to me that he was creating all his own breakdowns by using these f.x.
sometimes he'd filter the whole mix up to a whiny noise and then drop another tunes inderneath but not really beathmatched maybe this was why he seemed to "lose " the beat .
played a really cheesy track with a guitar and vocal in it which i didn't really like much. but other than that he was o.k. i thought.
i enjoyed playing after and was surprised the crowd stayed as long as they did. after all it was sooo hot!!!!
all in all i thought it was pretty good ( sorry am i being miserable again?)
summer can be difficult for these kind of gigs esp. with the heat so all considered it was a good night.

278d7e64a374de26f==