View Full Version : Secrecy/Ableton/Loops/Death/Emotion/Techno

massplanck
30-12-2005, 11:49 PM
nice topic title.

discuss.

massplanck
31-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Seriously.

Whatever happened to the shroud of mystery surrounding techno & techno artists. Staring at a weird psedonym on a vinyl gave me such a hard on. - example A - Drexciya

Abelton- yeah i use it. like i use a toaster - occasionaly. whatever happened to breaking (your own) boundaries -i.e not using what everyone else uses or is pre packadged for you by some company?

Sampled Loops - as cliched as a hoover stab these days. Why bother with em? Convienient?

Death - very welcome within the techno scene *personally*. When it rots (its starting now) flowers should start growing out from its arse & eye sockets.. give it a few years though.

Emotion - fcuk its really non-existant these days.

Techno = loads of solitary dudes in their bedrooms clicking mice & assigning knobs.

Get the fcuk out. find 4 other kindred souls.. a big room. bring your machines & biscuit tins togther and forget about the rigidity of it all Scream & Squeeze it out.

That is the word of our lord massplank who is talking shite as usuall.

dan the acid man
31-12-2005, 12:16 AM
:lol: :lol: just keep doing what your doing, and believe in yourself, and above all, enjoy it :techno:

djshiva
31-12-2005, 01:03 AM
*giggle*

i loved seeing mad mike in the black ski mask, myself...

module
31-12-2005, 01:21 AM
:lol:

get out more ;)

djshiva
31-12-2005, 02:57 AM
can't. tear. myself. away. from. the. screen.

;)

The Divide
31-12-2005, 03:51 AM
I would be happy to see it die only to come back with new fresh ideas and people thinking a little bit more out of the box. Im bored of it as it stands at the moment. Whenever I stick something old on it sounds much more imaginative. I dont think its all shite too, there’s some really good things happening in techno, just not in club/hard techno but in some random as **** weirdness. To be honest I don’t even like my own releases anymore, infact **** it. Its all shit and I quit

Steve you can have my babies :eyes: put them in that toaster over on your little island

Ritzi Lee
31-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Seriously.

Whatever happened to the shroud of mystery surrounding techno & techno artists. Staring at a weird psedonym on a vinyl gave me such a hard on. - example A - Drexciya

Sometimes in a while i'm fortunatly still surprised about some music on vinyl. The same mystery when you hear something and you ask yourself "How the F*** did he managed this sound??" And most of the time it just takes me 1 or 2 seconds of my time to hear that the music om the record is made with standard patterns with nothing special extra...

Abelton- yeah i use it. like i use a toaster - occasionaly. whatever happened to breaking (your own) boundaries -i.e not using what everyone else uses or is pre packadged for you by some company?

I also use ableton. But I use it as a sequencer, and sometimes some audio tracks to edit samples like you're using a normal sampler. But not really to make complete tracks with it. That's why I started using hardware. Maybe it sounds corney because it's told here like 100.000 times, but the sounds you can create with hardware are a hundred times more inspirational and qualitative. It all depends on the little things in sculpturing a sound.

Sampled Loops - as cliched as a hoover stab these days. Why bother with em? Convienient?

It's always nice to explore loops when you're just beginning producing. When you still have to realise how to construct a rhythm. If you passed that stage, then go do your own thing if you want to produce something on vinyl.

Death - very welcome within the techno scene *personally*. When it rots (its starting now) flowers should start growing out from its arse & eye sockets.. give it a few years though.

Difficult... But like any evolution the bad apples always rot away, and the good seeds always survive.

Emotion - fairy nob goggles its really non-existant these days.

Techno = loads of solitary dudes in their bedrooms clicking mice & assigning knobs.

Get the fairy nob goggles out. find 4 other kindred souls.. a big room. bring your machines & biscuit tins togther and forget about the rigidity of it all Scream & Squeeze it out.

That is the word of our lord massplank who is talking shite as usuall.

Just stop fecking complaining, go out make some fecking great tunes and let me hear your stuff...

RDR
31-12-2005, 11:34 AM
can't. tear. myself. away. from. the. screen.

;)

Good GOD! shiva's mind has been taken over by william shatner!

RDR
31-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Secrecy

You aint seen me.... right.

/Ableton

Ahem - make my own loops and parts up. Its a tool not a limit - BTW you can make some cracking stuff with only a toaster.

/Loops/

If it works then it works.

Death

A natural occurance in everything

/Emotion

Plenty of emotion in my music... and lack of it too - cold and distant landscapes (detroit aimed for that too....its all a continuum)

/Techno

is just a word

danielmarshall
31-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Secrecy

Exposure of techno don't worry me. I just wish I could feel more elitist for being into it still :lol:

Ableton

If DJ's aren't using this they're backward.

Loops

Are a great way to pay tribute to past work with your spin on top of them. I love taking a loop from something completely unrelated to techno and minipulating it until it is. Propperly aranged loop based dance music (stuff that's bounced into individule tracks, then edited in ACID or an equivelent application) can allow the artist to more freely manipulate and filter segments. I like to arrange stuff with looping in mind so after recording reverb tails etc. I can then move directly on to the second and third stage of production i.e. edits & mastering.

Death

sucks.

Emotion

is something sorely lacking in allot of techno. Why can't more producers think a little bit more allong the lines of Technasia or UR for a second? I listen to music to create an emotional responce within myself to the sounds I'm hearing, if it's only effecting me on a psycological level by phucking with my head and an intellectual level by giving me concepts to think about then it's not quite as satisfying.

Techno

is a sate of mind.

A very happy new year everybody!

Dan

* scampers off and searches for his lost pill *

dirty_bass
31-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Secrecy/Ableton/Loops/Death/Emotion/Techno

Secrecy?

Irrelevant, the music is paramount, all other considerations are superfluous.

Ableton?
A fantastic tool for the creative mind, a loop churner for the clones.

Loops?
As valid as any other sound or instrument when used creatively, nearly all music is loop based, even rock. Verse chorus verse chorus etc, however, it`s all about perception.

Death?
The great unknown, nothing to be scared of. Be more scared of pain.

Emotion?
What is music without it? For me, pointless, unless I can feel some element of the creator in the music, then the music just sounds purely mechanical, in a bad way.
Emotion does not necessarily mean love and fluff. There are many emotions to explore.

Techno?
Many things to many people. Ambiguous term that is open to your own interpretation.
For me techno is electronic music, utilising the latest technology to create fresh, explorative music. It also means to me, tribal electronics.

Happy new year from one nerd to another.

The Divide
31-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Secrecy/Ableton/Loops/Death/Emotion/Techno]

Secrecy

Probably adds to the perception of sound, hence why some people really do try and think up concept names, artwork, etc. Thats just a little icing the cake and is good for marketing or making something stand out. I guess the main reason its brought up here is because when you think back to when you 1st got into techno you thought it was something truelly amazing, it probably was. Now you know the mechanics behind whats seen the norm these days you probably feel a little less shock and awe

Ableton

Great for audio, not so great for midi. Just another fish in a vast sea of fishes.

Sampled Loops

Are boring and are one of the main the reasons why a lot of techno sounds the same combined with presets(imo)

Death

Yes. More evil out of the speakers please

Emotion

Is usually there when producers write their own bits instead of cut and paste someone else’s (see sampled loops)

Techno

Isn’t about technology as it used to be

module
31-12-2005, 04:43 PM
quite frankly mass, seriously... get out more lol

its jus music.. not the end of the world.. someone needs to look at their own process at bit more closely i think.

life/death/loops/ableton... u know u can do Birdseye Waffles in a toaster lol

as for this 'hardware is better than blah blah blah' rubbish, i think you'll find its down to the carpenter, not his tools..

module
31-12-2005, 04:45 PM
while i'm here...

Acid Pro 5... brilliant stuff... still my #1 when it comes to studio loop trax.

The Divide
31-12-2005, 04:54 PM
:doh:

Mindful
31-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Secrecy.....

Cool....Better than brashness and safe with me.

Ableton......

Cool when combined with a creative mind and a brill tool that gives you the power to play your own music without having to get on a piece of vinl or forking out pisstaking amounts of cash for a decent CD deck.

Loops.....

Make some or use them creativley(or both)

Death.....

we shall see

Emotion....

as cool as logic(not the sequencing program alltho thats very cool too)

Techno.....

A great vessel for expressing emotion and/or logic and concept.
Also somthing ive argued about and made some good freinds thru.

This thread....

Rocks

massplanck
01-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Secrecy/Ableton/Loops/Death/Emotion/Techno]

Secrecy

Probably adds to the perception of sound, hence why some people really do try and think up concept names, artwork, etc. Thats just a little icing the cake and is good for marketing or making something stand out. I guess the main reason its brought up here is because when you think back to when you 1st got into techno you thought it was something truelly amazing, it probably was. Now you know the mechanics behind whats seen the norm these days you probably feel a little less shock and awe

Ableton

Great for audio, not so great for midi. Just another fish in a vast sea of fishes.

Sampled Loops

Are boring and are one of the main the reasons why a lot of techno sounds the same combined with presets(imo)

Death

Yes. More evil out of the speakers please

Emotion

Is usually there when producers write their own bits instead of cut and paste someone else’s (see sampled loops)

Techno

:cheer: :thumbsup:

Ritzi Lee
01-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Ableton

I would have to disagree with the argument of the mid part.

Techno

We are the ones to bring this back. There's a whole bunch of producers and freaks still making techno with the technology additude... Just think away all the commercials, distro regulations, obligations, and standards.. What's left is something pure.

MARKEG
01-01-2006, 10:33 AM
well i love this topic!

Secrecy.....

Well the internet's changed all that my friends. There's still lots out there that you think - jesus who the HELL is this but then a quick 5 minute internet search and you've got their home address and their favorite dog breed. I think there is still a romantic aspect to facelessness that I really love but the plain fact is, if you're faceless I'd really love to see you make a life out of music - the mp3 gen changed all that for the techno industry.

Ableton......

A really, really beautiful piece of software. Hook it up rewired in Cubase or another sequencer and you really have alot of power. It's definitely got limits when used on it's own, but so has every piece of software. I think if you're serious about pushing musical limits, you need to constantly be looking at any type of sequencing software out there, trying it out, feeling the power of technology and using it in your production if it offers something new or different. recently i've actually gone back to some old versions of programs and tried to make tracks in them - you wouldn't believe how each version makes you think soooo different!

Loops.....

I love them. I spend hours on my outboard midi stuff just sampling and then making loops. I also spend hours collecting loops from sample CD's too. via a prog like ableton, it's soooo quick and easy. if you're simply importing someone else's loops and using the same 4 bar loop over a track this is so not techno but albeton makes it easy to not do that. Loop it from a different start point, transpose the **** out of it, use your fave effects over the top. man, this is just so hands on!

Death.....

Of techno? Well I hear too much good stuff every week to agree. I think the reason why ppl say year after year after year that techno is dying is cause they are losing interest, growing old. Well there's always someone else coming along to fill your shoes! You've got to evolve with the music, but that's what keeps it exciting! Sure I would give a right arm to be dancing to Analogue Bubble Bath 1 again but life moves on! It's a simple fact about music. Some ppl windge and grow old and then get dissilusioned and then move on but others accept there has to be change, sure we're p'ed off but hey, f it, i'll play the good stuff in my bedroom if i have to. until then, try your hardest to find the new thing!

Emotion....

Well it's why we're all in it ;)

Techno.....

Everything.

:clap:

rhythmtech
01-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Secrecy.....

secrecy is a good thing at times... i remember when pgv first appeared most of us hadn't a clue who it was (i kinda liked that). it felt like this new weird bassy techno could've been coming from anywhere with its weird little 10 inches.

Ableton......

amazing program. full stop.

Loops.....

loops are great. mangle them. mash them up. flip them around. whatever. everyone goes on about "looped techno" being boring, but 95% of music is based around loops. even if its just the kick or hi-hat.

Death.....

after last night it feels a lot closer... evil alcoholl :(

Emotion....

is where its at. techno is machine soul.

Techno.....

pisses me off. makes me dance. gives me a headache. sends shivers down my spine. mentally exhausts me... blah blah
its something in you. i'm into a lot of differant music but i've never known any other music to suck you in and make you want sooo much more (well... possibly "the cure", man i had the hair and all!)

The Divide
01-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Ableton

I would have to disagree with the argument of the mid part.

Well I’m running V4 so maybe be they fixed a few of these, I thought it was a bit of a mickey mouse them not having many of these in v4 so I never bothered with v5. I should think about upgrading after I ‘try before I buy’ :lol: …

In V4

There’s no midi shuffle in ableton, no custom quantization values, no dotted quantization values, no audio groove to midi extraction?

There’s are very few midi fx in ableton, it doesn’t run with 3rd party midi sequencing apps such as sonicbytes era, energy xtc, stepchild, midi step one, etc. Basically a midi channel didn’t reconside a midi in from other aps. For these reasons I found that you couldn’t use the midi out on reackor to trigger other midi channels. I very much doubt MSP midi fx would work with it (using pluggo)

In cubase I can also play multiple midi channels, each with different offsets via external keyb, using transposition I can play a chord with one key on one device. Cant in ableton

I like to create my own midi functions in logical editor, for example I can have random length, velocity, duration (within my own parameters). Theres loads of functions like filtering your off beats, deleting muted notes or notes withing certain ranges. You can write your own functions here and they can be used as an insert. Nothing like this is in ableton

Out of curiosity have they put group audio channels in yet?

Failing that I do like the X Y pad and the easier to use midi learn functions and how the browser works, very nice for navigating thro your samples in abes. It is quick and easy but I think its hyped up a lot

I should try v5 and see what I think tho

Ritzi Lee
01-01-2006, 04:19 PM
In V4

There’s no midi shuffle in ableton, no custom quantization values, no dotted quantization values, no audio groove to midi extraction?

Yes there is a midi shuffle function inside. You can even ajust the midi notes straight / 8 / 16 / 32 for each midi / audio track / loop / block. You can find the shuffle on your left next to the BPM ajust.

You can even program your own CC value's. Extremaly usefull if you want all your hardware (and maybe your digital mixer) full automated.

There’s are very few midi fx in ableton, it doesn’t run with 3rd party midi sequencing apps such as sonicbytes era, energy xtc, stepchild, midi step one, etc. Basically a midi channel didn’t reconside a midi in from other aps. For these reasons I found that you couldn’t use the midi out on reackor to trigger other midi channels. I very much doubt MSP midi fx would work with it (using pluggo)

I agree there are not much standard midi-effects in Live itself. But to tell you the truth I don't use them that much or any other midi fx plugins. There's one thing I do know. If all your plugins are cracked ones, then you may experience difficulties.

Third party plugins are always recognized if you enter the location in the 'properties'.

But things like triggering and rerouting midi signals is something that Abelton is very good at.... You're already doing it if you create a new midi track with an internal midi instruments. Just check out your routing options.

In cubase I can also play multiple midi channels, each with different offsets via external keyb, using transposition I can play a chord with one key on one device. Cant in ableton

Ok you can't play and record on multiple channels at the same time in Live. But it's always possible to reroot and create a chain of midi-channels for different devices, so you can play multiple midi through one touch... Also we have the midi chord plugin if you want to create chords.

I like to create my own midi functions in logical editor, for example I can have random length, velocity, duration (within my own parameters). Theres loads of functions like filtering your off beats, deleting muted notes or notes withing certain ranges. You can write your own functions here and they can be used as an insert. Nothing like this is in ableton

For random length / velocity / duration, there is a seperate midi plugin for this with all the required parameters, and envelope control.

Also you have the possibility to change the rasters in your midi editor... Good for writing notes that are of the metronome.

Out of curiosity have they put group audio channels in yet?

Failing that I do like the X Y pad and the easier to use midi learn functions and how the browser works, very nice for navigating thro your samples in abes. It is quick and easy but I think its hyped up a lot

I should try v5 and see what I think tho

Yep grouping audio channels is also possible.
I think it's in my manual how to do this.......

The browser is just sweat indeed.
You even have the possibility to drag and drop own recorded samples back in the browser, so you can save your own made samples with all the edited parameters... These are all reusable. :)

The Divide
02-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Ill upgrade it, I like to run it as slave to cubase

The Divide
02-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Cheers ritzi

SlavikSvensk
02-01-2006, 04:02 PM
...also computer people, get a laptop and go make music somewhere other than yer bedrooms or studios...the beach, a skyscraper rooftop, a rat-filled alley, just god no, not starbucks...

zaalmoetlos
06-01-2006, 02:22 PM
secrecy

thanks to internet there is no more secrecy in music, we are all spoiled brats (musically) you can listen to any record at any given moment this spoils the experience i.m.o.

ableton

a much needed adition to the music scene. Music is of an organic nature if it stands still it dies much like a shark.
Music is always a reflection of its time. We are living in a computer age naturally this reflects in the way music is produced. It would be very naive to think that todays producers / djs would not use computers, apart from that it would be a great loss too. Ableton offers a great new way of mixing tracks, the way tracks are produced can be changed immensly. You don't need to make a track which can be mixed whith one or two other pieces of music. You can experiment much more.
It's stupid to think that music of the next thirty years will be produced or dj-ed in the same manner as the stuff of the last thirty years. Time changes so does music thankfully.

loops

depends on what u use them for i can imagine that they are a great tool when you are mixing with ableton it is stupid though to take one loop look for a synth stab and call it your own record.

death

is when emotion stops

Emotion

stops when death creeps in

Techno

most people in this scene should stop bickering about who's music is beter/more harder to mix or produce and realise that whe all need eachother

dirty_bass
06-01-2006, 03:07 PM
most people in this scene should stop bickering about who's music is beter/more harder to mix or produce and realise that whe all need eachother

This is true, love and tolerance man.
Still a good winge now and again helps vent frsutration.

eyeswithoutaface
06-01-2006, 10:34 PM
secrecy

a bit confused actually, wouldnt it be a little pointless if no one at all knew who you were? or am i wrong? like i said, confused

ableton

believe the hype, but like with all programs, you get out what you put in. Too many people last year spending a few hours in Ableton mixing their own tracks together and calling it a "live" pa. It's not. It's a mix. That seems to have died down though. Incredible program, no doubt

loops

Love em or hate em, where would we be without them? i dont care what anyone says, everyone loves messing with loops its great fun and can often make or break a good track. Trick is the usage, some use their loops alot more blatently than others, some like to get creative. There are undeniably some fantastic loops out there, they are there for a reason, use them, but use them wisely

death

well im only 23, i have no fear of dying, but obviously i wouldnt want to snuff it tommorow, so not something id dwell over too much, life's too short

emotion

we need more. simply

techno

what's techno again?

great thread!

278d7e64a374de26f==