PDA

View Full Version : Patronising Superstar Djs

module
05-01-2006, 07:47 PM
does anyone else's blood boil when they read 'jus follow your dreams & believe in what your doing... success will come'

if i read this in one more interview i will hunt them down... its easy to be condescending when your a 'made man' but jesus does it piss me off...

personally, i been battling for over 10 years now & i aint seen a dime in success.

anyone else concur with my thesis ?

conflict
05-01-2006, 08:27 PM
i suppose if you ask someone in any job who has made it they'll tell you that there has been an element of good fortune in it.

anyway how hard have you been 'battling'?

if you have been banging out tunes in cubase and pushing your own nights and ting and you've still not got anywhere, then yes that does suck!

module
05-01-2006, 08:59 PM
ive ran nights, dj'd, played live,put on nights i dont even play at, sent off hundreds of demo cds/links, poured every penny i have into music, lost friends & jobs, split with g'friends...

its all part of it, i know.... but that 'follow your dreams' crap is gettin thin lol

its easy to say 'jus believe' when your richie hawtin... hes there. but when your fighting tooth & nail & gettin arrested for postering & ripped off by club owners & backstabbed by djs... it gets hard man...

but, ive got my health, so it all bad... but still.. any 'made' djs.. bear in mind when your 'giving the kids a lil advice'

Miromiric
05-01-2006, 09:07 PM
let me hear few records you ve released and i ll tell you if you need your day job.

dirty_bass
05-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Learn to suck up

RDR
05-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Learn to suck up

So very very wrong/right/wrong/right!

doh!

Patrick DSP
05-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Learn to suck upDB is sort of right, i'd say more than 50% of this is marketing and politics (actually way way more than 50%), just look at all the "superstar dj's that actually stink. "superstars" arn't usually that big because they're the best or first to do this or that, but by making others and/or promoters think that. it's about having the right people behind you and a good hype machine as much as "it's about the music" and "doing what you love". the scene you seem to be fed up with is the business part, and not the a squat/soundsystem part.

usually when i read "follow your dreams/be yourself" i take it as more do your own thing/be original rather than jumping on bandwagons. yeah it's tuff, i've yet to see any pay off $$$ wise personaly. but we're not in this for the $$$ now are we.

rhythmtech
05-01-2006, 09:47 PM
its f u c k i n g hard to get a break!

stjohn
05-01-2006, 10:17 PM
im happy enough looking at that asian birds tits!!

rhythmtech
05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
:lol:

module
05-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Learn to suck up

so very very very true... the saddest aspect

djshiva
06-01-2006, 05:08 AM
ive ran nights, dj'd, played live,put on nights i dont even play at, sent off hundreds of demo cds/links, poured every penny i have into music, lost friends & jobs, split with g'friends...

its all part of it, i know.... but that 'follow your dreams' crap is gettin thin lol

its easy to say 'jus believe' when your richie hawtin... hes there. but when your fighting tooth & nail & gettin arrested for postering & ripped off by club owners & backstabbed by djs... it gets hard man...

but, ive got my health, so it all bad... but still.. any 'made' djs.. bear in mind when your 'giving the kids a lil advice'

ten bucks says all the guys who've "made it" still look upon the salad days fondly. sometimes we forget it's the "getting there" and how you choose to do it that counts, and not necessarily "being there".

i want to qualify that by saying that i am poor as shit eating ramen noodles...but i love what i do. and i have been doing it for over ten years...no qualms yet...

holotropik
06-01-2006, 10:31 AM
you should learn to look at it in a more positive light my friend.
success is measured in relative terms. looking for a "break" means that you are seeking a solution or an end - rather than a way of life.
as soon as you focus on a different target you will automatically have success...better line of sight.

btw.....that asian chick gives me shivvers every time i see that avatar :D

eyeswithoutaface
06-01-2006, 10:54 AM
depends how you measure success overall. Plus the guys who are massive now like Clarke, Hawtin, Mills etc, well it was also a case of right place right time, they were there at the start, when everything went boom and suddenly there was a thing called Techno (before anyone posts up that entire history of techno thing, i dont mean they were literaly in Detroit and started everything!) , but things are so much different now.

And they have worked hard too, look at Hawtins back catalogue, Clarke's back catalogue etc, they've hardly been resting on their laurels and their success is a culmination of hard work, knowing the right people, playing the right parties, releasing good records etc etc

i dont find it condescending in the slightest, infact quite true. Ive done nothing for the past 3 years except learn to make music and keep on making it, it's all i want to do, regardless of the fact that there's little or nothing at all money wise to be made, i just want to be able to make music and release it, and thats happening, so in my own eyes personally, and achievement wise, im succeeding to a degree.

As cheesy as it is, ive followed my "dream" and its paying off. Undeniably though there is the element of having to push your stuff to the right people, getting to know people involved in the scene and making friends, but that goes for every single job/goal that a person could have

i think someone's just on a new year comedown? ;)

tocsin
06-01-2006, 03:32 PM
does anyone else's blood boil when they read 'jus follow your dreams & believe in what your doing... success will come'
if i read this in one more interview i will hunt them down... its easy to be condescending when your a 'made man' but jesus does it piss me off...
personally, i been battling for over 10 years now & i aint seen a dime in success.

Not really. I kinda do agree with that cliche statement if you want to really break it. It doesn't mean it's going to come easy. You're gonna deal with no shortage of shit heads who will try and kick you down as you make your moves. If you forget that little cliche, it's easier to give up and accept it. "Success" is so subjective anyways.

The Divide
06-01-2006, 08:40 PM
I agree with eyes and tocsin

I cant say it really interests me, Im not in this game to take the stage, im in it to enjoy myself and that’s that. If all that matters is been a superstar, a big player, dont take this the wrong way but perhaps your in for the wrong reasons? Besides, if it was easy everyone would be a superstar.

module
06-01-2006, 09:20 PM

I cant say it really interests me, Im not in this game to take the stage, im in it to enjoy myself and that’s that. If all that matters is been a superstar, a big player, dont take this the wrong way but perhaps your in for the wrong reasons? Besides, if it was easy everyone would be a superstar.

totally missing the point dude..

eyeswithoutaface
06-01-2006, 10:21 PM
chill out mate, just follow your dreams and you'l make it

The Divide
06-01-2006, 10:29 PM

totally missing the point dude..

Maybe you missed their point? What do you want them to say? Don’t bother trying? Heroes don’t last forever you know.

The Divide
06-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Actually hes got a point lets make a hit list...

1. Richie Hawtin - for saying in that interview about how you should stick to it and keep using Brylcreem as its how he 'made it'

2. Dave Clarke - He once said in DJ magazine that if you follow your heart and use your head youll go places, deffinate bullshit, I got the axe. You bring the chloroform

eyeswithoutaface
06-01-2006, 10:40 PM
what, so, you mean, when mummy said to me "keep at it scotty and you will become a superstar dj and you will get to sip Singapore Slings with Marco Bailey in Phuket", she was lying? WOOOAAHHHHH hold it there son, one thing mummy aint is a liar

damn you

eyeswithoutaface
06-01-2006, 10:41 PM
and i bet none of you know that the REAL reason Jeff Mill's hit it big was because he actually works for a massive borough council organisation and they pay him to travel the globe picking up litter in his 5 record bags

The Divide
06-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Jeff Mills actually worked for McDonalds when he was a pimple faced teen, he could operate 3 ovens at once although his egg mc’muffins were always a bit sloppy

Mindful
06-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Hes right dude.

lots of good pionts here.
Realy all this hard work your doing thats the rewawd and sucsess that your looking for,thats the enjoyment and thats where your at.
Your doing somthing worth doing and thats that, of course you should be setting goals and when you have accheived them setting new ones but enjoy the doing rather than the ending.
**** the mony and the popularity, its all about making music that moves you personaly and sharing ideas and insperation with your like minded peers.
And learning somthing no matter how small from your non like minded peers.

Maybe;)

eyeswithoutaface
06-01-2006, 10:46 PM
so that WAS true? wow

id heard about teh egg mc'muffin's legend, but then i thought "no way, this is Jeff Mills, his muffin's have gotta be the best"

thanks man, you've ruined the dream

The Divide
06-01-2006, 10:47 PM
http://www.rotten.com/library/crime/corporate/mcdonalds/too-many-happy-meals.jpg

Mindful
06-01-2006, 10:50 PM
haha feed him more

eyeswithoutaface
06-01-2006, 10:52 PM
that's the infamous pic of Marco Remus telling Mill's what was up with the Egg McMuffin

word

holotropik
06-01-2006, 11:18 PM
hahahaha....that just broke me....hehehehe.

MARKEG
06-01-2006, 11:19 PM
hahaha..

hey you know i'm sure i've said in some interviews when ppl ask me 'how did you make it to where you are' and i've said well, i just believed in myself and followed what i wanted to do. i dunno if this is the same condecending thing you talk about, but it's never meant to be like that. in the grand sceme of things, i'm not mills, but i can pay my bills through music and i do class music as my job. so how did i do that? well sure, i did to some extent believe in myself. everyone other cunt did tell me i would never make it and i needed to get a proper job. ppl laughed at me. now i'm the one laughing at them. i stuck to what i believed in and di dmy own thing. but the other thing they NEVER say is that you have to have business sense. i reckon you have to understand the workings of business or you're screwed. i studied business to a-level so i know to a certain extent how it all works.

it's like anything really. if you have a product and place in a market, you're ****ed without promotion and marketing.

alot of ppl see a romatic view of music as a really piss easy way to make a living but there's much more to it that you think. either you're lucky and you get a good agent (well that's none exsistant in techno), some good labels to take care of you, or you learn the business yourself. and come on - if your brain works well enough to understand techno then it's defintely gonna work well enough to pick up a book and learn marketing.

i remember once interviewing mills annd i met him in a hotel foyet and he was reading the share index. don't tell me that man's not a business man.i thiink that explains alot. clarke was similar.

it really depends how far you want to go in this. i'm not there yet, i have along way to go, but i'm learning. and so everyone else can do too. ...

anyway that's my little bit to the topic ;)

SlavikSvensk
06-01-2006, 11:35 PM
listen, felas, if you just follow your dreams, they will all come true! last night i dreamed i bought some coffee and then ate pizza...and it all came true!

dan the acid man
06-01-2006, 11:40 PM
right, im off to buy the financial times :cheese:

Stella Boy
06-01-2006, 11:55 PM
If dreams do come true them i'm off to the garage to buy a copy of Playboy wrapped in a copy of the financial times.

gunjack
07-01-2006, 01:35 AM

"made man" l o l

module
07-01-2006, 03:19 PM
a'ite... i give up then... more comedians here than producers for sure lol

and btw, idiots, i'm happy to be a cog in the bowels of the machine.. every structure has small wheels that run the machine.. and if i happen to be a small wheel, i'm happy with that as opposed to not playing a role at all.

as i said, most have missed my point, but with the amount of hilarious replies, i'll jus let it go & leave it to the kids to larf up innit ;)

my point was this.. its easier to say things when your at the top. its easier to come across as patronising when you HAVE made it, as opposed to still being in the trenches.

i dont mind being in the thick & gettin it tuff. thats life, ragardless, but when those above you get all Zen & righteous, it gets thin.. its not keeping me up at night lol but it is rather tedious to keep seeing the same crap in each interview lol

anyways, stick to your dayjobs gents.. cos you lot are far from funny :cheese:

davethedrummer
07-01-2006, 06:20 PM
well i don't know what you were expecting really
mark gave you a great answer
and personally i though the jokes about the egg mcmuffins were hilarious
come on mate, loosen up a bit.

miss bass
07-01-2006, 08:12 PM
nowt wrong with a patronising superstar dj, people never seem to leave me alone, thats for sure....

:o/

dirty_bass
07-01-2006, 10:11 PM
a'ite... i give up then... more comedians here than producers for sure lol

and btw, idiots, i'm happy to be a cog in the bowels of the machine.. every structure has small wheels that run the machine.. and if i happen to be a small wheel, i'm happy with that as opposed to not playing a role at all.

as i said, most have missed my point, but with the amount of hilarious replies, i'll jus let it go & leave it to the kids to larf up innit ;)

my point was this.. its easier to say things when your at the top. its easier to come across as patronising when you HAVE made it, as opposed to still being in the trenches.

i dont mind being in the thick & gettin it tuff. thats life, ragardless, but when those above you get all Zen & righteous, it gets thin.. its not keeping me up at night lol but it is rather tedious to keep seeing the same crap in each interview lol

anyways, stick to your dayjobs gents.. cos you lot are far from funny :cheese:

Just stop reading interviews then. When you`ve read one hawtin interview it`s not like the next 3 are gonna say much different, or in fact it`s not like the interviewer will ask anything different.

dan the acid man
07-01-2006, 10:13 PM
yep ligthen up, and i wouldn't go calling us all idiots, well you can call me an idiot but thats besides the point.

you have to look at your post as we saw it, it just looks like you've thrown your toys out of the pram as you haven't as you put it..made it yet.

yes, some people maybe luckier than others, and get the right breaks at the right time, but that's the same as anything in life.

some people may work hard at producing all their life, but if nobody else likes their songs, then nobody is going to listen to them.

as long as you're happy doing what you do, then anything else is a bonus in my eyes

Stella Boy
07-01-2006, 10:31 PM
as long as you're happy doing what you do, then anything else is a bonus in my eyes

spot on dan :thumbsup:

RDR
08-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Can i have the toys that fell out of the pram please? wouldnt happen to be a 909 there at all?

Anyway - try not to be so bitter mate, it'll just eat you up inside, channel your energy into releasing angry music, one that disses hawtin. im sure he'll buy it.

module
08-01-2006, 02:52 AM
lol

no one is bitter man... jus a thread.. dont worry bout.. i aint got the rope out yet ;)

ppl shouldnt read so much into posts on a forum :)

davethedrummer
08-01-2006, 10:07 AM
lol

no one is bitter man... jus a thread.. dont worry bout.. i aint got the rope out yet ;)

ppl shouldnt read so much into posts on a forum :)

oh i see....
now we are all reading too much into it......oh right.....i get it..........
i suppose we are all idiots for that as well ?

it's never ending with you isn't it?

idiots for this....

idiots for that....

it just goes on and on.........

:razz:

rhythmtech
08-01-2006, 11:00 AM

that sounded suspiciously patronising to me :razz:

eyeswithoutaface
08-01-2006, 11:54 AM
wow, i cant believe i read so much into that from such a vague first post

how dumb do i feel, jeez

davethedrummer
08-01-2006, 01:01 PM

he's a comedian

MARKEG
08-01-2006, 01:02 PM
An Australian, an Irishman and a Glaswegian are in a bar. > > They're staring at another man sitting on his own at a table in the > corner. > > He's so familiar, and not recognising him is driving them mad. > > They stare and stare, until suddenly the Irishman twigs: > > "My God, it's Jesus!" > > Sure enough, it is Jesus, nursing a pint. > > Thrilled, they send him over a pint of Guinness, a pint of Fosters and > a bottle of Buckfast. > > Jesus accepts the drinks, smiles over at the three men, and drinks the > pints slowly, one after another. > > After he's finished the drinks, Jesus approaches the trio. > > He reaches for the hand of the Irishman and shakes it, thanking him for > the Guinness. > > When he lets go, the Irishman gives a cry of amazement: "My God! The > arthritis I've had for 30 years is gone. It's a miracle!" > > Jesus then shakes the Aussie's hand, thanking him for the lager. As he > lets go, the man's eyes widen in shock. > > "Strewth mate, the bad back I've had all my life is completely gone! > It's a miracle." > > Jesus then approaches the Glaswegian who knocks over a chair and a > table in trying to get away from the Son of God. > > "What's wrong my son?" says Jesus. > > The Glaswegian shouts, "fu*k off, I'm on disability benefit!"

dan the acid man
08-01-2006, 01:55 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

icb
08-01-2006, 02:23 PM

LOL :razz:

eyeswithoutaface
08-01-2006, 02:51 PM
haha superb thread, best of 2006 so far

fatcollective
08-01-2006, 04:25 PM
An Australian, an Irishman and a Glaswegian are in a bar. > > They're staring at another man sitting on his own at a table in the > corner. > > He's so familiar, and not recognising him is driving them mad. > > They stare and stare, until suddenly the Irishman twigs: > > "My God, it's Jesus!" > > Sure enough, it is Jesus, nursing a pint. > > Thrilled, they send him over a pint of Guinness, a pint of Fosters and > a bottle of Buckfast. > > Jesus accepts the drinks, smiles over at the three men, and drinks the > pints slowly, one after another. > > After he's finished the drinks, Jesus approaches the trio. > > He reaches for the hand of the Irishman and shakes it, thanking him for > the Guinness. > > When he lets go, the Irishman gives a cry of amazement: "My God! The > arthritis I've had for 30 years is gone. It's a miracle!" > > Jesus then shakes the Aussie's hand, thanking him for the lager. As he > lets go, the man's eyes widen in shock. > > "Strewth mate, the bad back I've had all my life is completely gone! > It's a miracle." > > Jesus then approaches the Glaswegian who knocks over a chair and a > table in trying to get away from the Son of God. > > "What's wrong my son?" says Jesus. > > The Glaswegian shouts, "fu*k off, I'm on disability benefit!"

brilliant hahahaha!!!! :lol:

module
08-01-2006, 05:40 PM
for all the bannings & new logos, this place hasnt changed a bit..

still full of the same old same old lol

regards ;)

dan the acid man
08-01-2006, 07:47 PM
oh dear

dirty_bass
08-01-2006, 07:57 PM
yes darling?

dan the acid man
08-01-2006, 09:17 PM
be gentle dear :lol:

MARKEG
08-01-2006, 11:01 PM
i thought you'd never ask!

dirty_bass
08-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Well, normally I wouldn`t darling, but, these are the last few hours we have left, so we may as well spend it doing something wonderful.

dan the acid man
09-01-2006, 12:38 AM
:lol: :lol:

wenna
09-01-2006, 09:52 AM
back to the topic; i think it all boils down to happiness. it doesn't matter if your last record sold 10 or 10 000 copies. if your happy, hey, who cares? if your not happy find out why and bloody do something about it! don't be afraid to hound ppl, it shows dedication and determination. maybe try one or two things you wouldn't normally consider as cool, or 'underground', just to get your foot in the door. and a business mind is definately needed to an extent. i'm sure we'd all love to play for free and release for free, just cause it doesn't always seem right to take money for something we love doing. you wouldn't fix your nans washing machine and then charge her for doing it would you? but life isnt like that! if u wanna make a living outa this then u need goals, and when you reach those goals, u move the posts back and go for the next goal ec,etc this takes time! i dont think anyone in this life has woken up and been handed anything on a silver platter.

my 2 cents anyhoo

tocsin
09-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Module, I still don't follow your point at all. So you take the "believe in yourself" answers as patronising because it's someone on top trying to get all Zen like? Maybe it's just an honest answer. Maybe the reason you can pick that answer out as being cliche is, in the end, it's the one answer that's common to those who have "made it" with the rest of their experiences being somewhat unique to time, place and effort?

Here's the thing. When nobody has heard of you, you will have people trying to tear you down. When slightly more people have heard of you, you will have more people trying to tear you down. The "bigger" you get, the more this increases. If you don't believe in yourself and let such bullshit affect you the wrong way, you're closer to failure. It's probably more important to remember this, and remind yourself of it, with every increase in "success" one has. So, in the end, I don't see how it's patronising to tell people to believe in themselves and follow their heart. It's excellent advice for an area where people talk shit, stab backs or try and influence your own work.

Mark added the bit about the business side which sometimes gets left out of interviews. But, there is where you basically have a universal formula to succeed at anything. "Believe in yourself" + "RTFM/Learn" + "Network" + "Do" = Best chance of "success," whether personal, financial, or both.

278d7e64a374de26f==