PDA

View Full Version : Legal Downloads on the Up

TechMouse
09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Massive demand in the week following Christmas apparently. Go figure...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060108/wr_nm/digital_dc

Would be interested to see stats from more underground online digital stores.

dan the acid man
09-01-2006, 06:48 PM
after speaking to a fair few kids today at work, most of them now only buy mp3's

danielmarshall
11-01-2006, 09:20 AM
I think the fact that NI have it built into the Traktor/ FS system will contribute quite heavily to the trend. A brilliant marketing idea if you ask me.

tocsin
13-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Speaking of which, has anyone else played with Traktor 3 yet? It's quite nice. 4 decks.

danielmarshall
14-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Yes, it's fullyfukkinfunky.

That 4 band EQ is really useful (though I'd prefer independant low and high pass filters for each channel), and I love the customisable interface too.. Would be nice if it had a send/return system for routing effects to other programs, but you can't have everything I guess.

The Divide
14-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Beatport have ad's in dj mag covering a full page. That costs around £2,500 a throw. I doubt many record shops would have done that so it goes to show that theres big money in this now. Thats not specific to techno as such but its still something worth thinking about

I think in the future, when I get my shit together, I will be hesitant to go on a label that’s purely vinyl

TechMouse
16-01-2006, 11:31 AM
I think in the future, when I get my shit together, I will be hesitant to go on a label that’s purely vinyl
To be honest, any label which is releasing on vinyl and ignoring digital distribution is shooting itself in the foot.

It's not like it incurrs massive overheads, and I don't think that offering your tune digitally is going to kill your revenue.

If you release solely on vinyl you're limiting yourself to...

1. The serious DJ market - who may need the vinyl.

2. Vinyl enthusiasts - who just love the vinyl.

Neither of which, I think, is going to massively suffer if you offer the digital download option.

The casual listener might fork out £1 for an mp3 if they really love a tune, but no way are they paying £6.50 for a vinyl.

Question for anyone running a label:

How much money do you get per vinyl?
How much money do you get per mp3 download?

I'm quite interested.

Jay Pace
16-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Around 30% of MP3 sales go to the label, so I'm told...

The Divide
16-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Its usually a 50/50 label /shop split as far as i know, so if you sell an mp3 for £1. 50p goes to the label and then that 50p is split between the label and the artist

grain
19-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Great to see this kind of news... . I'll always be a vinyl fanatic and always buy vinyl but the sale of mp3s and digital format music is a vital element in the growth of a healthy music industry... great to see people are buying... I don't have a credit card but when I do, I'll be the first to support it.. .. .....wait a minute, no I won't! probably the seven thousand millionth, more like.....

Viva la digital revolution!!!

:toast:

holotropik
20-01-2006, 09:11 AM
I recently had an online contract expire (due to label failure not mine)....with that I was getting 65% of the sales. Pretty good if you ask me.

As for the press about the increase in online....well...it can be propaganda either way. i would want to see stats in order to believe it.
DJ techniques (using CD, FS, Serato, Traktor etc) is the key for this format to suceed and evolve into the mainstream. this is good as it means more creativity.

i am focussed on online labels as being based in OZ means I got no chance in getting onto vinyl unless i live OS. Besides vinyls' economics (and sound quality) are doomed in this day and age. Pity, as it is the only non-pirate format. Funny how vinyl didnt work out. i guess it came down to the economists at Sony etc who found it was less over-heads to go digital.

The Divide
20-01-2006, 12:29 PM
As for the press about the increase in online....well...it can be propaganda either way. i would want to see stats in order to believe it.

I have had to write a business plan for an online audio shop and the market research involved looking for these statistics. They do exist, not so much in techno, but in the popular genres. Certainly goes without question, that companies like apple are making a killing out out of this. Unless its all fictitious, something i dowbt

holotropik
20-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Of course Apple are...they use the iPod as the hook. For the rest of us...well....we get the crumbs...

The Divide
20-01-2006, 02:22 PM
I guess itunes is doing badly then :P

The Divide
20-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I guess HMV digital arent selling mp3s

I gues beatport are loosing 2,500 pounds per advert in dj mag, etc etc

The Divide
20-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Checkout the EMI group annual reports

I hate all that shit but there’s plenty of statistics to support an increase in legal downloads

The warp owned Bleep.com mp3 site said last year was the best year they have had

TechMouse
20-01-2006, 02:26 PM
The warp owned Bleep.com mp3 site said last year was the best year they have had
Errr, it was launched last year, wasn't it?

In which case...

The Divide
20-01-2006, 02:26 PM
http://www.bleep.com/newsletter/2004/12/

TechMouse
20-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Well I never.

Shows what I know...

Don't listen to me, kids, I don't know shit.

The Divide
20-01-2006, 02:37 PM
My bad

Your right haha launched last January, they didnt say it was their best year yet but they said sales have gone up.

TechMouse
20-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Surely that website indicates January 2004, no?

I insist this is my mistake..

The Divide
20-01-2006, 03:08 PM
:lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==