PDA

View Full Version : rules for remixing?

anx
12-08-2003, 06:43 AM
are there any general rules when you remix a track?

koala
12-08-2003, 07:19 AM
are there any general rules when you remix a track?

Make it better than the original? Or lay down your trademark beats and call it a club edit, or chuck it through a hardcore delay and call it a dub? Dunno, never had the pleasure of doing one.

Col
12-08-2003, 07:38 AM
ive never done one either, but if i was to do a remix i would take some identity from the original (unless i thought the original was a bag of shit of course, which in that case i probably wouldnt be doing the remix in the first place) whilst looking to inject my tastes into the track.

i hate hearing remixes that sound identical to the original, its like why did you fu*king bother?

herman
12-08-2003, 10:44 AM
the way i normally do it is to check the parts for the hook/beats/bass whatever that grabs me the most and build what i would consider to be one of my tracks around that , still saying that i dont always do that either :wink:

go|plastic
12-08-2003, 10:55 AM
There are some articles about this on the Future Music site...

http://www.futuremusic.co.uk/hl_mmusic.asp

Cheers!

djTequila
12-08-2003, 11:58 AM
i hate hearing remixes that sound identical to the original, its like why did you fu*king bother?

Usually for the $$$$$$$.

davethedrummer
12-08-2003, 01:11 PM
tricky one this
usually it's your sound the people want
but it has to fit into the framework of their label
ie my remix for vicious circle
not what i would normally do perhaps but i like it and it works for them
you have to work out what the defining features of the original are and work around them somehow which can be hard if there isn't much you like about the original.
plenty of remixes have been better than the originals
check "age of love" a classic case where everyone thinks the remix IS the original.
there's usually something you can do to most things the worst one is when you like the original so much
ie " hardfloors acperience" which i remixed once with kris needs which was ****ing impossible so we just re-wrote the 303 parts and sped it up so it could be played again by more modern acid fans it was my onlt critisism of the original was that it was too slow ( although it does sound fantastic at that speed)

ampassasinbirmingham
12-08-2003, 02:32 PM
ONLY TAKE ON A RMIX IF YOU THINK U CAN MAKE IT BETTER(FINE WORDS OF DAVE CLARKE)

davethedrummer
12-08-2003, 02:40 PM
define "better" though that's the problem.
better for who exactly.

ampassasinbirmingham
12-08-2003, 03:01 PM
if you personally think you could make the tune better by adding your own touches to it.

then there is the case that if you remix a song, who are you trying to make it better for, yourself or others?

if its for yourself, u will think your mix of the certain tune sounds better as it is more suited to your taste. But now we are going off the ball and talking philosophy.

278d7e64a374de26f==