PDA

View Full Version : All techno sounds the same at the mo

conflict
09-01-2006, 05:52 PM
have heard this so many times recently

can someone please give me some audio examples?

Winds
09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Was just thinking exactly the same thing!

rhythmtech
09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
haven't got any samples handy...

but the crazy frog released 2 tunes last year that used a similiar vocal. i guess thats what all the fuss is about.

conflict
09-01-2006, 05:58 PM
haven't got any samples handy...

but the crazy frog released 2 tunes last year that used a similiar vocal. i guess thats what all the fuss is about.

yea but the crazy frog is allowed

he rules

rhythmtech
09-01-2006, 06:05 PM
take that back...

if i ever get my hands on that little amphibeous bastard!

dirty_bass
09-01-2006, 06:38 PM
I think a lot, not all of techno in the main, is repeating itself, and can be placed next to stuff from say 99, and it sounds the same, no progession.
It`s not so much sameyness as lack of personality in the music.
You can take 60% of new releases now, and if you have been collecting it from say 98, you will probably already have about 30 or more releases that sound damn similar.
Sure there should be tools, but that term is almost irrelevent now, cos it all lacks personality and can just be tools.

There are more labels now days, and the majority just don`t stand out.
I mean, go to Juno.co.uk, click on techno releases from the last 8 weeks.
Look how many labels are like on release 001-002 or 003
loads of new labels, and how many of them are doing anything that isn`t really available on about 15 or 20 other labels?

On the plus side, all this homogenous techno has caused a lot of very individual stuff to spring up, and there is some really crazy shit out there. Hopefully this return to just making mad electronic dance music will gather momentum and slowly more people will be willing to take risks, and not just follow the sound that is expected.

rhythmtech
09-01-2006, 06:44 PM
but what if that techno "standard" is the sound you love and the sound you enjoy making?
i mean is there a "glitch" standard? and if so will all bored glitch artists turn to acid techno to be differant? what i'm trying to say is that whats normal to me maybe alien to you and i just think all the styles co-exist and you should do whatever gives you a hard-on for makin music. or not.

module
09-01-2006, 07:17 PM
i think all this 'its not as good...' crap is jus ppl not realising they've become too familiar. and that their tastes have changed.

ive seen so many threads with older guys ripping into shranz & the kids laughing at derrick may & juan atkin stuff from 92.

things change & noveltys wear off. the older you get, the harder it becomes to find new joyous things, purely on the basis youve been on the planet so long.

course it was all much more exciting as a youngster, there was clubs & labels & djs to find out about. now, 13-14 years later, nothing very much suprises me. because it has all pretty much been done.

but, techno is young. give it another 15 years & see if its up to the likes of jazz or soul. see if it lasts. i'm pretty sure it will.

mikehumphries
09-01-2006, 11:05 PM
**** me! why dont you all just write what you like and if anyone else buzzes off it, just look at it as a bonus

Stodgy
09-01-2006, 11:07 PM
**** me! why dont you all just write what you like and if anyone else buzzes off it, just look at it as a bonus
:lol: nice 1

rhythmtech
09-01-2006, 11:10 PM

because in techno land we're not allowed to, its against the law ;) . i got torn apart by someone last week for saying i sampled... the techno police are out there... they can read our thoughts!

el salvador
09-01-2006, 11:13 PM

hey man that is a very good point you have.

dirty_bass
10-01-2006, 01:14 AM

Ok, on your way people, there`s nothing to see here, the problem has been solved.
Bring on your Murder was the bass remixes immediatley.

The Overfiend
10-01-2006, 01:50 AM

Agreed. :techno:

dirty_bass
10-01-2006, 01:58 AM

Agreed. :techno:
Watdya mean agreed?
We`re here, trying to have a futile and essentialy pointless argument, and someone comes along and offers a peaceful and reasonable solution.
It ain`t right.
Ban the bastard.

djshiva
10-01-2006, 05:02 AM
it does make techno shopping both a) frustrating and b) easy tho.

frustrating because you have to wade through a pile of shit to find something that stands out, but easy cuz you spend a lot less money!

but then, i have always picked up stacks of 50 plus records and only left with 5. i'm a picky shit, what can i say?

holotropik
10-01-2006, 09:18 AM

speed-it-up
10-01-2006, 12:30 PM
You could have said that all techno sounds the same at any point in the last 8 or so years I reckon.

To be fair I think that there is some fresh sounding stuff currently being produced, just look a bit harder.

A lot of tunes seem to be rinsing out Reese style basslines at the moment, which does sound a little bit different to just loops with distortion.

Miromiric
10-01-2006, 01:20 PM
f.uck me in the a.ss and call me a b.itch, but techno is dead. do 3 releases a year make a genre?

Miromiric
10-01-2006, 01:23 PM
mark eg - you are some kind of funny guy eh?

Si the Sigh
10-01-2006, 01:39 PM
You want your ass filled with fish and chips?

Do you want salt?

Miromiric
10-01-2006, 01:43 PM
no, i want a ****ing cock!

Miromiric
10-01-2006, 01:44 PM
lol i was sure mark eg`s funny filter will filter out cock, but it did not.
i am ****ed now.
oh well i might aswell say what i am really after:
YOUNG BIG BREASTED BOY SEEKS 50+ FIT MEN FOR SOME SERIOUS ANAL ACTION

Akkachar
10-01-2006, 01:51 PM
You naughty boy!

ontopic:

That's why we have minimal, minimal is da shizznit...

Bliep blup frrr...

Mindful
10-01-2006, 02:20 PM
haha Miromiric rocks man

Miromiric
10-01-2006, 03:42 PM
hey bashful, you never got my PM?

Mindful
10-01-2006, 09:51 PM
nah mate, was it a sexy one?or was it about music?or was it about sexy music?
Send again please

Miromiric
11-01-2006, 08:51 AM
mark egg should sort out PM system cause it really sucks.

holotropik
11-01-2006, 09:57 AM
My 2cents....well I'm an Aussie so it prolly only equals 1cent over there.

Techno isnt all the same. Its just gone through severe growing pains.

-DJs have been playin DJ-tools as if they are stand-alone tracks.
-Styles and fads have been passed off as pioneering new sounds or ideas.
-Technology has oft moved too fast for players to keep up with that has resulted in some half-finished works being passed off as works of art.
-The initial pioneering ways of our forefathers was taken as gospel and made into a style or a fad and milked for everything its worth by pimple-faced brats with either too much money or too many drugs in their system.

BUT

In the meantime, in the background there has been some serious work been going on by apparent no-bodies with a concept not unlike the greats. They have been tinkering and been fresh to all this technology. They have watched and listened and learned. Concepts have been born.

I found that last year was amazing interms of new ideaas and sounds far removed from the formulaic mainstream surge. I found often that I was again inspired by works by seemingly unknowns' while bored of the once majestic and pioneering elders.
There is a thing called desire. It causes a pressure which drives one to push further than they would otherwise go. It drives the 'next' sound even when most are not ready for it.

sh.it!! I have a roast in the oven and its ready....better go.

Bye.

loopdon
11-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Holoptropik, that's the right way to think - forward thinking.
Some true beauty in your words!

Split-Personality
11-01-2006, 10:49 AM

Ok, on your way people, there`s nothing to see here, the problem has been solved.

Why has that tune been remixed so many times? Ive heard a milliom and one remixes but can never get hold of the mix I want. Dont spose anyone knows how to get hold of the mix from Ivan Smagghe's Bugged out mix??? :roll:

Split-Personality
11-01-2006, 10:50 AM

Why has that tune been remixed so many times? Ive heard a milliom and one remixes but can never get hold of the mix I want. Dont spose anyone knows how to get hold of the mix from Ivan Smagghe's Bugged out mix??? :roll:

The Divide
11-01-2006, 02:04 PM
.....I think thats because people have run out ideas and are failing to capture peoples imagination.

I am finding myself listening to old techno sets and im loving it, most of the stuff I haven’t even heard so its not a nostalgia, I just hear more ideas then a build to a ride cymbal. I think techno ought to sort itself out and stop inbreeding its ideas simple as. But anyways if it dies I don’t care as dub step and grime is exciting me more at the mo..

DUBSTEP WARS (http://dubstep.kicks-ass.net/mixes/other_radio_shows/Dubstep_Warz_-_Breezeblock_-_10-01-06.zip)

TechMouse
11-01-2006, 02:07 PM
DUBSTEP WARS (http://dubstep.kicks-ass.net/mixes/other_radio_shows/Dubstep_Warz_-_Breezeblock_-_10-01-06.zip)
Nice one.

Split-Personality
11-01-2006, 02:10 PM
I havnt heard of Dub Step or Grime I should really quit living in the past! :roll:

The Divide
11-01-2006, 02:36 PM
I havnt heard of Dub Step or Grime I should really quit living in the past! :roll:

That’s a really weak thing to say, you like what you like at the end of the day. I love techno, but I listen to other music too. No need for the sarcasm

The Divide
11-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Nice one.

btw checkout 12 mins in it sounds more techno than techno :lol: We are being out technoed!

The Divide
11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Back on topic

Well people say those who say techno all sounds the same are just people who have grown out of it are wrong imo, Over 05 on just about every techno night I went to was all the same old faces, the same people who were around time ago. Just about everyone I talk to say the same thing to me these days and at first I was thinking its just people moving on. Now I don’t.

One things for sure, I dont think its very clever pretending nothings going on, that everything should carry on as it is whilst club turnouts hit a low. 05 has probably been the worst year for club turnouts, number of nights and good line ups. Probably the lowest I have seen them

Time and time again I see these debates about how the mp3 is internet is killing/killed techno and it makes me laugh, meanwhile beatport puts an advert in dj magazine that covers one full page, costing £2,500. Bleep say they have had their best year yet, etc. Times are changing, there maybe people still around loving vinyl (like myself) and they should carry on fighting for it, but they should be thinking ahead, for all next gen, who I cant see been as interested

My 2 cents

The Divide
11-01-2006, 02:49 PM
[quote=The Divide]DUBSTEP WARS (http://dubstep.kicks-ass.net/mixes/other_radio_shows/Dubstep_Warz_-_Breezeblock_-_10-01-06.zip)
Nice one.

Gets heavier from 52 mins in :eyes:

Sunil
11-01-2006, 03:10 PM

Why has that tune been remixed so many times?

Because ELP, the distribution company, milked it for as much as they could. All of those remixes appeared on their in house label.

The Divide
11-01-2006, 03:31 PM
[quote=The Divide]DUBSTEP WARS (http://dubstep.kicks-ass.net/mixes/other_radio_shows/Dubstep_Warz_-_Breezeblock_-_10-01-06.zip)
Nice one.

Gets heavier from 52 mins in :eyes:

And that second to last tune, oh my gawwwwwd :shock: :eyes:

(I will shut up now)

miss bass
11-01-2006, 03:38 PM

That’s a really weak thing to say, you like what you like at the end of the day. I love techno, but I listen to other music too. No need for the sarcasm

handbags at dawn, chill Divide :P

U know i luv dem grrrime tings ya get me! Look were on the case if no one else is, they will soon realise that Loopno has had its time ..... (waits for hell to break)

Agent Orange NYC
11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
So i agree, alot of stuff does sound similar and every genere at this point. I was starting to dig some more stripped down techno and even some minimal stuff. Even after buying some of that stuff for a few months now i realise there is a ton of crap there too. Loopy in the same way and for how long can u really listen to pops and clicks? I think MUSIC is what is missing. Melody, Keys, Playing instruments, something with feeling etc. Not just big percussion loops with filter breakdowns, or random pops and clicks. There is a shit load of good music out there I think cross-polination is unavaiodable and the only way to progress.

miss bass
11-01-2006, 07:54 PM
feeling yes, but that doesnt always come from 'instruments' , although i love music thats playing with traditional instruments.

I like the stripping idea

Mindful
11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
drool...me too
lets all strip

Sorry

gunjack
12-01-2006, 08:07 PM
i think its nice that all these ****ing kids are releasing the same crap over and over, it gives those of us with a diferent sound and diferent ideas a chance to shine!

gunjack
12-01-2006, 08:08 PM
i think its nice that all these ****ing kids are releasing the same crap over and over, it gives those of us with a diferent sound and diferent ideas a chance to shine!

rotten
21-01-2006, 09:04 PM
WORD!!!

278d7e64a374de26f==