PDA

View Full Version : Support Juan atkins for a grammy

mat
10-01-2006, 10:13 AM
-----------------begin transmission-------------

Troops your services are required. Juan Atkins has been nominated as a writer as part of the song "Losing Control" by: Missy Elliot. Tell everybody you know that owes they're ass to Juan Atkins to vote for Missy Elliot's "Losing Control" for best rap single. Lets show these mother****az the power of what they cannot see.........................

Mad Mike 040....................UR
---------------end transmission----------------

koma
10-01-2006, 01:03 PM
i would voted for missy anyway
loose control is one of my fav 2005 hiphop songs

MARKEG
10-01-2006, 01:14 PM
how do you vote?

koma
10-01-2006, 01:50 PM
not sure if we can actually
its USA award anyway, isnt it..

http://www.grammy.com/awards/grammy/48Awards.aspx

dirty_bass
10-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, missy has herself plugged in.

Agent Orange NYC
10-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Juan Atkins is a low class crackhead lowlife. He played after me at a gig in Miami once. As he was setting up his records I went to intro myself to him and told him that I've respected his work and thanked him for his contributions to music. I explained we started a new techno label from NY and handed him a small flyer with our logo and contact info. He dropped it on the floor in front of me and asked "are you done playing yet" with a seriously bad attitude. I was really tempted to punch him in the face, but I wouldn't stoop to his crackhead level. I played 2 more records and ended on my set time with my labels new release at the time. I explainened to him that it was our new release. He slowed it down all the way to minus 8 on the deck and let it play like that for a while. Then trian wrecked out of it into some terrible house tune, and continued to trainwreck for the remainder of his set. I took the record off and told him he's got problems. No class and a terrible dj, sorry i know alot of people on here credit him with all he's done (whatever) but I don't have any respect for someone like that, there's no excuse for that behavior. F** him i really hope he doesn't win.

oldbugger
10-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Juan Atkins is a low class crackhead lowlife. He played after me at a gig in Miami once. As he was setting up his records I went to intro myself to him and told him that I've respected his work and thanked him for his contributions to music. I explained we started a new techno label from NY and handed him a small flyer with our logo and contact info. He dropped it on the floor in front of me and asked "are you done playing yet" with a seriously bad attitude. I was really tempted to punch him in the face, but I wouldn't stoop to his crackhead level. I played 2 more records and ended on my set time with my labels new release at the time. I explainened to him that it was our new release. He slowed it down all the way to minus 8 on the deck and let it play like that for a while. Then trian wrecked out of it into some terrible house tune, and continued to trainwreck for the remainder of his set. I took the record off and told him he's got problems. No class and a terrible dj, sorry i know alot of people on here credit him with all he's done (whatever) but I don't have any respect for someone like that, there's no excuse for that behavior. F** him i really hope he doesn't win.

i'd of deffinatly knocked the cunt out. wouldnt care who it was.

what a wanker :shock:

koma
10-01-2006, 06:48 PM
trainwrecking is his style LOL

that attitude sucks

oldbugger
10-01-2006, 06:51 PM
yea, to be honest i dont think i have ever heard a good mix from him. great tunes but he's bloody awful.

respect an all that for what he's done.. no need for the attitude though

koma
10-01-2006, 06:58 PM
damn right
many people contributed to the scene a lot, but they're still down to earth
ok, sometime you just have a bad day, but shyte like this deserves a punch...

orac
11-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Everybody should have respect for what these guys from Belleville had done, but as I see now Juan is a really arrogant f*cker. I would be really pissed off when I was on your place :/

SlavikSvensk
11-01-2006, 06:21 PM
i met him a couple times and he was nice to me...

...and really if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have what we have here...

...terrible dj though.

Miromiric
11-01-2006, 06:26 PM
-----------------begin transmission-------------

Troops your services are required. Juan Atkins has been nominated as a writer as part of the song "Losing Control" by: Missy Elliot. Tell everybody you know that owes they're ass to Juan Atkins to vote for Missy Elliot's "Losing Control" for best rap single. Lets show these **** the power of what they cannot see.........................

Mad Mike 040....................UR
---------------end transmission----------------

sleasy, sleasy...

gunjack
12-01-2006, 08:22 PM
well guys, detroit and to a certain extent the usa is now a running joke with most of my folks. screw it. it just opens doors for those of us who keep it pro and for whom quality and respect are job 1

tocsin
13-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Ig uess that's fair since you seem to be a running joke with everyone else. :p

dan the acid man
13-01-2006, 06:06 PM
lets leave out the personal insults people

tocsin
13-01-2006, 07:10 PM
It was a joke. Wait, is this a serious thread? I got lost after the crackhead, punches, etc. comments. ;)

audioinjection
13-01-2006, 07:13 PM
damn, a nice foot to his face would have been nice heh

at least toss the flyer when i'm not looking

lunatrick
14-01-2006, 12:17 AM
saw / heard him dj on NYE - was a bit pants really...however very battered so can't really comment - do remember thinking 'this is a bit boring really'.......deserves some sort of place in techo history obviously - but hardly cutting edge these days. I'm not going to vote for him tho.........meeting your heroes - always a bad idea really.

MARKEG
14-01-2006, 01:27 AM
wow.. this is crazy.

first of all, i love ya orange man but why post this on a forum - it's personal opinion????????

second, we wouldnt be here we it not for him.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

i cant believe you're all being like this. juan atkins is the reason why we are here! and if you cant see this, i'll shut down this site right now. leave the personal crap out of it pleeeeeaaaaseee!!!!!!

i interviewed him once and i have to say i can see he was perhaps a little adverse to public contact but jesus, this man created the very thing we're talking about!!!!!!

guys, juan atkins IS TECHNO! stop this shit! arrghhh!!! it's ridiculous. i just dont get you!!!! i feel like crying!!!

:(

electoad
14-01-2006, 01:36 AM
I agree - techno for me is about music minus the image. The idea that a sun deprived group of geeks can get up and play withOUT all that garbage that comes along with rock/pop(image/persona).

its about the music, but by the same token some c*nts need personality checks, but f*ck it - just listen and enjoy!

Komplex
14-01-2006, 02:36 AM

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

yeah we would. think about it!!!

Anyway, more on topic now, wasn't Cybotron two guys and not just Juan Atkins? Who was the other guy that DIDN't get "nominated as a writer on missy elliot's latest steaming pile of poo"? or did he get nominated too?

dirty_bass
14-01-2006, 03:38 AM
wow.. this is crazy.

first of all, i love ya orange man but why post this on a forum - it's personal opinion????????

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

i cant believe you're all being like this. juan atkins is the reason why we are here! and if you cant see this, i'll shut down this site right now. leave the personal crap out of it pleeeeeaaaaseee!!!!!!

i interviewed him once and i have to say i can see he was perhaps a little adverse to public contact but jesus, this man created the very thing we're talking about!!!!!!

guys, juan atkins IS TECHNO! stop this shit! arrghhh!!! it's ridiculous. i just dont get you!!!! i feel like crying!!!

we don`t all share the same heroes though mark.

It`s an odd argument, but I like disney films, it brought the animation to the masses, made it viable as a film medium, and is kinda responsible for the CGI industry in film, in a way.
However, Walt Disney was a nasty fascist pig, and I don`t like him.
this doesn`t mean I insult my animation degree or my love of animated film.
And without disney, animation becoming big would have still happenedm maybe not as quickly, and maybe not in the same way, but it would have happened.
Same for atkins for some people.

djshiva
14-01-2006, 06:48 AM
no one, regardless of their contributions, is above reproach.

no one.

teknorich
14-01-2006, 03:23 PM
What Orange described is unforgivable from anybody. That is a total, total lack of respect. If Atkins created techno, then why does he sh*t on the other members of the scene he worked so hard to produce?

DJ Becka
16-01-2006, 03:37 AM
wow.. this is crazy.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Oh comm'on Mark....just because the guy created this whole thing we know and love, does that give him the right to shit on people like that? I mean, I've met plenty of artists, including yourself, who have made contributions to the scene and the music, and they dont act like dicks. No one is taking away from him and what he's done for the music - it's just his whole attitude that is a problem. I think Juan's behavior towards Agent Orange was uncalled for and uneccessary - bad day or not - there's no need to abuse people like that- no matter who you are.

The Overfiend
16-01-2006, 06:23 AM
You've never had a bad day?
Some people handle their angst better than others.

I agree what Atkins did to my sharmute fam is totally f*cked.
But I will not deny his contribution to what we do now.

Miromiric
16-01-2006, 09:24 AM
i think i never heard a single record of atkins`.

Miromiric
16-01-2006, 09:25 AM
i am bashfull now :blush:

DJ Becka
16-01-2006, 05:04 PM
You've never had a bad day?
Some people handle their angst better than others.

I agree what Atkins did to my sharmute fam is totally f*cked.
But I will not deny his contribution to what we do now.

No, no one is denying what he's done - he just doesnt need to be an a-hole about it ;)

gunjack
17-01-2006, 12:21 AM
dude i have been sticking up for juan for years, but the fact is that the detroit cats are really riding the past and doing F UCK ALL FOR THE FUTURE except for charging outragious prices and being arrogant....

gunjack
17-01-2006, 12:23 AM
oh and tocsin, EAT A DICK BRO. ; )

Dustin Zahn
17-01-2006, 04:04 AM
Aside from a few Cybotron tracks, I've never been a fan of Atkins, even if he is from Detroit. Give respect where respect is due. When it comes to Detroit, I'm with Gunjack on this one. The only one who even still makes consistently amazing productions is Carl Craig. There are others such as Mills who still put out some good records, but Carl is always consistently good and worth buying on site. There is a long list of Detroit heroes who I will respect to the end day, and most of the obvious names are not on that list.

And to be honest, I'm sure Agent Orange's situation wasn't just one of Atkin's "bad days." There is a whole other side to his life which most people don't know about and a public forum is no place for its discussion. But based on that previous knowledge, all the arrogant/asshole stories don't really suprise me.

dirty_bass
17-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Atkins shoulda listened to the man.

I am the white knight
and I am coming to destroy your mind

And then I will destroy you

eyeswithoutaface
17-01-2006, 09:00 AM
should of just knocked him out

mat
17-01-2006, 11:17 AM
dude i have been sticking up for juan for years, but the fact is that the detroit cats are really riding the past and doing F UCK ALL FOR THE FUTURE except for charging outragious prices and being arrogant....
:shock:
I guess you don't speak about Submerge/UR people, because I've
never heard they were arrogant or anything unrespectfull.

Also remember most of the detroit cats have been spoiled by some
european majors at least once as they were starving to make
records. Now, of course it's the payback, I don't excuse Juan's
behaviour but this guy was at first a producer. So if promoters
offer him money to mix he will spin the records he like but don't
expect him to be a very good dj.

Francisco Scaramanga
17-01-2006, 11:30 AM

I dont really know much about Juan except for what Ive heard over the net, and Im definately not making any opinions based on what a bunch of people say on a forum. I like some of his music, but Ive never heard him DJ, so I'll have to reserve judgement.

But with regards to the rest of the guys from detroit, you seem quite bitter towards them. I dont know any of them either, but I dont think its fair to say they are riding the past. Mills and Hawtin both continue to do new things and steer techno in new directions after all these years (stuff like this orchestra thing, mixes in 5.1 surround, DVD mixing, etc), Carl Craig is still making good music, and UR's Galaxy 2 Galaxy live show is completely unique and unlike anything else that anyone is doing in techno, and really really good. In fact that UR show is probably the best thing I have seen in the world of techno - and it didn't cost any more than a normal night.

And as for the likes of May, sure, he hasnt made a tune in years, but if you can DJ as well as he can, I reckon its fair to let him off.

Anyway, saying they are doing **** all for the future is blatantly untrue if you actually think about it.

Sunil
17-01-2006, 02:36 PM
and UR's Galaxy 2 Galaxy live show is completely unique and unlike anything else that anyone is doing in techno, and really really good. In fact that UR show is probably the best thing I have seen in the world of techno - and it didn't cost any more than a normal night.

Must admit I didn't really feel their live show. It's good that you liked it, and sure it's nice to hear some of the old classics; but for me personally the only thing 'techno' about this live show is the name UR, not so much the music. It may be unique in techno what the do, but does it stand up as being so special when you put them alongside the many soul/funk/session bands doing the circuits? To be clear here, I'm no hater, but I think this should be put in context a little.

Re: Atkins.. he may have had his day, and he might have been rude to someone, but hell, some of the Cybotron stuff still sounds so fresh and it certainly deserves to win and be recognised on a bigger level. Not quite the Mad Mike of old to be worried about Grammys, but it's a good call nonetheless.

Agent Orange NYC
17-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Mark I apologize if you feel this was inappropriet to post that on here, but i swore that moment when it happened, that i would dedicate my life to crusade agaist him or anyone else that thinks they are "above the law" just cause they have a bit of fame. Everyone craps from the same place, we're all the same. I understand people have bad days, if he chose to not speak to me that would have been fine, but he was straight up disrespectful to me and what i was working so hard on. I hold respect above all else. Maybe if i did cross him one in jaw with the 5 brothers i would have let out all of my aggression at once but i don't beleive in violnece (98% of the time hehe) so this is my revenge i guess.

wow.. this is crazy.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Dustin Zahn
17-01-2006, 04:55 PM
**** 'em, the way he put you off was disrespectful. I would have jacked him across the jaw right then and there. Just because someone put out a few good dance music records doesn't give them the right to be a jerk off, plain and simple.

SlavikSvensk
17-01-2006, 05:24 PM
life is full of jerkoffs, sadly. juan was very nice and chill the times i hung out with him (we had a couple mutual friends), and i'm sure in another context, he would have been friendly to you too. but he wasn't. so that's life, and you can at least go away from this knowing that in this context you were the better man.

i can't say i'm a big fan of posting this kind of stuff on the internet though.

as for detroit, well, it's slowed down a lot. safe to say it's not what it once was. but all great things come to pass, and at least there are some good records still coming from there (the los hermanos album was, IMO, awesome)...and those old classics are still, well, classic.

gunjack
17-01-2006, 05:54 PM
look at this guy saying i seem bitter toward detroit boys hahahah. i aint bitter, it is a fact! these guys are just riding past acomplishments and charging outrageous amounts to play records for an hour, and that f ucks things up for the rest of us! if derrick or kevin or juan put out any new records that were not just a throwback to the "golden age" i would be all over it and throw em nuff respect! but the fact is, like zhan sez, carl is the only one still pushing things, the rest are just riding the thing.... as for UR, yea the live show is great etc. but there is nothing new going on there. just retro techno like is said trying to cash in on that "golden age" vibe. let em do something new!

and to fransisco, RICHIE HAWTIN AINT FROM DETROIT. he is from canada and has nothing to do with anything. unless you like boring typical minimal all night. and jeff mills is from CHICAGO and doesnt have much to do with the usa period at this point. and anyway jeff is still using the same synths and 909 sounds like 20 years ago, bah...

dirty_bass
17-01-2006, 06:49 PM
and anyway jeff is still using the same synths and 909 sounds like 20 years ago, bah...

Man I been saying this for ages.
Beeps, bell tones and 909`s.
But peeps talk like it is the new thing.
It`s his psychobabble that impresses chin the scratchers.

SlavikSvensk
17-01-2006, 07:56 PM
jeff mills lives in chicago, but was born and raised in detroit. he still loves his 909. and those hand photos. and metropolis. :bonk:

SlavikSvensk
17-01-2006, 08:02 PM
It`s his psychobabble that impresses chin the scratchers.

i'm all for psychobabble as long as the tunes are great. personally, i haven't heard a record by jeff in years that i've thought was good enough to buy. but to each their own, and i still love those old axis and purpose maker records...

The Overfiend
17-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I have to agree with Zahn, I respect what he's done.
But yeah throw my shit on the floor in my face.....
Come to think of it Ara, yeah I would have swung, shit I was ready to drive to Philly one day cause a certain dj dissed me on the net. I can imagine if someone took my investment and did the f*ck off move to me.
CRACK!

The Overfiend
17-01-2006, 08:06 PM
I have to agree with Zahn, I respect what he's done.
But yeah throw my shit on the floor in my face.....
Come to think of it Ara, yeah I would have swung, shit I was ready to drive to Philly one day cause a certain dj dissed me on the net. I can imagine if someone took my investment and did the f*ck off move to me.
CRACK!

Disclaimer
My views on this one situation do not represent the view of Blackout Audio as a whole or a family. :)

Ritzi Lee
17-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Ehhh guys!?
The fact that Missy used a CYBOTRON tune in one of her Hip Hop tracks.
This news is at least a year old. :roll:

SlavikSvensk
17-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Disclaimer
My views on this one situation do not represent the view of Blackout Audio as a whole or a family. :)

have the names been changed to protect the innocent? ;)

Agent Orange NYC
17-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Ehhh guys!?
The fact that Missy used a CYBOTRON tune in one of her Hip Hop tracks.
This news is at least a year old. :roll:

Ritzi, give us a break, it usually takes the US about a year lol.

tocsin
19-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Oh comm'on Mark....just because the guy created this whole thing we know and love, does that give him the right to shit on people like that? I mean, I've met plenty of artists, including yourself, who have made contributions to the scene and the music, and they dont act like dicks. No one is taking away from him and what he's done for the music - it's just his whole attitude that is a problem. I think Juan's behavior towards Agent Orange was uncalled for and uneccessary - bad day or not - there's no need to abuse people like that- no matter who you are.

Well, actually people are taking away from what he's done here. A request was made to vote for a track he worked on, not to vote on his character. So, how does his treatment of others factor in here at all? Is the track worth voting for or not? End of story.

DJ Becka
20-01-2006, 03:23 PM

Well, actually people are taking away from what he's done here. A request was made to vote for a track he worked on, not to vote on his character. So, how does his treatment of others factor in here at all? Is the track worth voting for or not? End of story.

Basically, if you are going to act like a dick to people-then you do not deserve to win any award - period. Sorry if you dont agree.

dirty_bass
20-01-2006, 04:12 PM

no, it smells old and mouldy.

Ritzi Lee
20-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Do people who vote on MTV awards ask themselves if that particular artist is a pain in the ass??

Not that I wouldn't compare techno people with MTV people... word!

rhythmtech
20-01-2006, 05:11 PM
we does juan atkins need a granny? has he not got his own?

tocsin
20-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Basically, if you are going to act like a dick to people-then you do not deserve to win any award - period. Sorry if you dont agree.

Then apparently nobody deserves any. There is not a single person on this planet who will not have someone else saying that they are a dick, while honestly feeling that way as well. Seriously, Becka, are you going to say that people wouldn't say the same shit about you? Lighten up and, if you're inclined to vote for something that's supposedly based on the merits of the music, keep it about the music. This just smells like Star****er bullshit to me.

dirty_bass
20-01-2006, 06:13 PM
smells like mouldy old socks to me.
Or mouldy old vinyl sleeves.

DJ Becka
20-01-2006, 06:38 PM

Then apparently nobody deserves any. There is not a single person on this planet who will not have someone else saying that they are a dick, while honestly feeling that way as well. Seriously, Becka, are you going to say that people wouldn't say the same shit about you? Lighten up and, if you're inclined to vote for something that's supposedly based on the merits of the music, keep it about the music. This just smells like **** bullshit to me.

Most people in the industry that I've met are actually half decent people - dont have an attitude - and treat others the way they themselves would like to be treated - with respect. Juan Atkins is not one of them - I dont care how many hits he writes - I would never support him, or any other artist who behaves that way. Sure-maybe he'll win the grammy, but why should one contribute to the success of an artist who disrespected them to their face. Obviously you are not familiar with this concept. Are you saying that Agent Orange's story is bullshit? I too would not sit there in silence about disrespectful bevhavior of an artist - no matter who they are - otherwise, said artist might think they can get away with it - that, sir, is bullshit. Maybe if the tables were turned and it happened to you, you would feel differently - progress or not.

SlavikSvensk
20-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Most people in the industry that I've met are actually half decent people - dont have an attitude - and treat others the way they themselves would like to be treated - with respect. Juan Atkins is not one of them - I dont care how many hits he writes - I would never support him, or any other artist who behaves that way. Sure-maybe he'll win the grammy, but why should one contribute to the success of an artist who disrespected them to their face. Obviously you are not familiar with this concept. Are you saying that Agent Orange's story is bullshit? I too would not sit there in silence about disrespectful bevhavior of an artist - no matter who they are - otherwise, said artist might think they can get away with it - that, sir, is bullshit. Maybe if the tables were turned and it happened to you, you would feel differently - progress or not.

i see your point, but i've got a couple issues with this statement:

a) juan atkins didn't just "create hits," he created techno. or, at the very least, took the work of pre-techno pioneers like kraftwerk and molded it into the prototype for all the music we are passionate about on here. hits or no, we're not on here arguing about this music if it weren't for juan.

b) i like and respect agent orange, and have no reason to think he'd write this if it didn't actually happen to him, but i also wasn't there. the three times i hung out with juan atkins in michigan, he was not a dick to me or to anyone i was with. based on his post, agent orange has every right to be angry and upset with juan. but other people, who have not had this particular experience, shouldn't base their own opinions just on agent orange's bad experience.

tocsin is right too...virtually every person ever up for a grammy has been a dick at some point. most are far worse and infinitely less talented or deserving than juan.

but that's just my opinion...

tocsin
20-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Becka, you're missing the point entirely. I'm not questioning your boy's story. To be perfectly honest, I don't even really care. I have no opinion on Juan Atkins as a person and really don't care for his music at all.

That being said, when someone brings up that an actual product, which should be measured outside of someone's personality, is up for an award, and someone brings up a story about how they don't personally like the guy, yes, I think it's incredibly uncalled for. My words got overly censored unfortunately. I seaid it smelled like "starfukcer bullshit" and it still does. A guy wrote a track and it's up for an award. Is it relevant that he may have been a dick to someone here, is friends with someone here, someone knowns somebody who's dick he's sucked, etc? No. The only thing that's relevant is whether or not the track is any good. I could give two shits if he dropped a flyer. "[Deep loud inhale] A rude techno DJ? Well, I never!"

tocsin
20-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Oh, and BTW, Becka, the same has happened to me on more occassions than I can remember. It comes with the territory when you're the one guy playing hardcore, or anything 150+, amongst a bunch of other guys who are histant to touch 140 and consider you a vibe killer. That being said, I don't pop shit about them out of context in areas that are dealing with the merits of their music.

eyeswithoutaface
20-01-2006, 07:14 PM
yeah bit toys out the pram this, and you gotta ask, if you were not prepared to do anything about it at the time, why cry on message boards to such an extent? its pointless, and a bit like trying to get the school bully back 5 years after you both left the playground. It's totally inane to just jump on a thread about someone and personally attack them just because they were having a bad day and didnt seem to interested in what you had to say. There was a chance to address this to his face but it wasnt taken, the ball was in your court so to speak, and you basically threw it outside the gates.

everyone is rude to someone at some point. that's a fact. If you can honestly say you've never been rude or obnoxious to someone in your whole LIFE then you should really probably be finding salvation within a monastry or nunery or whatever religious sect of your choice

dirty_bass
20-01-2006, 07:39 PM
everyone is rude to someone at some point. that's a fact. If you can honestly say you've never been rude or obnoxious to someone in your whole LIFE then you should really probably be finding salvation within a monastry or nunery or whatever religious sect of your choice

I`ll second that.
you are all a bunch of ****ing cunt ****ers.

SlavikSvensk
20-01-2006, 07:40 PM
:finger:

eyeswithoutaface
20-01-2006, 09:31 PM
i really dont know why i waste time with you inbreds

*drops Singularity ep on floor*

dirty_bass
20-01-2006, 11:10 PM

Your mothers your sister

dan the acid man
21-01-2006, 01:30 AM
my mothers my dad......erm, hang on :scratch:

suburbanknight
21-01-2006, 01:41 AM
hmm ..

Mindful
21-01-2006, 01:41 AM

What?
you got yours allready?
Well it seems you hate me Steve so expect negative emails and feedback for any of your records that come out in the future from me.

it seems you cannot see how importent i am to techno.

*throws toys out of the pram and takes his football home*

278d7e64a374de26f==