PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see tracks sold online as Ableton loop packs?

danielmarshall
11-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Discuss...

loopdon
11-01-2006, 10:06 AM
been done allready in a way ...

there's a steve stoll loop cd dedicated to ableton already

called 'locked groove'

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detailDemos.html?864

dan the acid man
11-01-2006, 10:10 AM
it would kind of defeat the object for me.

i'd be making music as music, not as a remix tool.

but maybe it's something we will see happening more if digital sales took off, as an extra with the mp3 or wave file, i also like the idea of including videos in mp4 format as dirty bass suggested yesterday

dirty_bass
11-01-2006, 11:23 AM
i also like the idea of including videos in mp4 format as dirty bass suggested yesterday

Bog off, banana squash features, that`s my idea. :eyes:

dan the acid man
11-01-2006, 11:26 AM
:lol: :lol:

don't worry, by the time i've got anything releasable, we'll be on mp15 which includes virtual reality body suits

dirty_bass
11-01-2006, 11:29 AM
:lol: :lol:

don't worry, by the time i've got anything releasable, we'll be on mp15 which includes virtual reality body suits

Oh sweet.
then I can do the voidloss near death experience ep
full virtual immersion into a world of suffering and despair.
aaaah, if only....... :cool:

rhythmtech
11-01-2006, 11:48 AM
i'd hate to see releases sold as loop packs....

imagine the amount of dodgy remixes going around for every track?!?! much as i'm all for music being as accesible as possible, i think this would be a step too far.

i know some people have given loops away (leibing for eg) but they weren't seperate parts so there wasn't much you could do with them that you couldn't do anyway by ripping the cd and chopping loops out.

rhythmtech
11-01-2006, 11:50 AM
hey db... hows that horrible ugly bastard hurley doing these days?

stjohn
11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
id keep it the way it is, which is realeasing loop packs for that sole purpose. breaking a track down into a few loops kinda takes away from the magic of it all i think.

but id like to see stuff like loudboxer, clr and de9 loop packs come out on a digital format definately, theyd be great craic, and would save hours of recording vinyl onto your computer!

zaalmoetlos
11-01-2006, 02:46 PM
i think it would be amazing. But not just only loop packs that's unimaginetive. With mp3 production you have much less boundries. You needent rely on vinyl sales, which are going down the toilet anyway, to get your tracks out. Tracks needn't be made to be played on two or three decks which limits producers imensly, start to think in different ways don't just make 4 to 11 minute tracks anymore do something else! You can make much more stripped down things or sort of cunstruction kits and let other artists or yourself use them in different digital compositions in different ways each time. I think it is essential for techno to survive i cant imagine the form it is produced in over the last 15 years (give or take a few) will still be the same over the next twenty years or so, that would mean certain death to the music

The Divide
11-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Probably, just loops too, no synth patches and no single hits :clown:

danielmarshall
12-01-2006, 07:16 AM
i'd hate to see releases sold as loop packs....

imagine the amount of dodgy remixes going around for every track?!?! much as i'm all for music being as accesible as possible, i think this would be a step too far.

Yeah that'd happen for sure, but the opposite may well happen too.

I've heard a few bootlegs which would have sounded far better (than the origional even) provided had the sampled vocal not been put through an EQ to stip away the dominat frequencies that make up the percussion.

This will obviously increase the ammount of illegal bootlegging that goes on, but at the same time may increase the number and diversity of the remixes offered to record companies. It could possibly work in the favour of small record companies. Large ones would never agree to this kind of thing since they charge zillions of dollars for the right to sample anything and seem to be even more picky about who remixes what.

I'd like to hear what some of you record lable honchos think of this. Is the ability to control who remixes your tracks all that important to you? How badly do you find unofficial dodgey remixes impact on your label's image? How often do you get unofficial remixes that you like, but not release since it's not in keeping with the sound of your other releases?

The Overfiend
12-01-2006, 08:15 AM
I'm not sure I would be so quick to give away my loops like so to have someone dj on ableton with them for their own live pa.

danielmarshall
12-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Why? There are stacks of crap DJs out there that will be raping your music anyway.

Komplex
13-01-2006, 06:19 AM
^ hahah

so true.

dirty_bass
13-01-2006, 11:41 AM
hey db... hows that horrible ugly bastard hurley doing these days?

Pat is a vision of beauty and lovliness, he`s your ideal summer girlfriend.
He`s cool, battling this biz out like a real trooper.
Strength amongst adversity and all that.
Went to see him yesterday actually, he gave me a good ass kicking about what I need to be doing, which is always cool.
Bloody little paddywacker.

278d7e64a374de26f==