PDA

View Full Version : I love Reason

Jay Pace
11-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Its ace. You can build the most impossible synths, using simple components and just keep building and building and building.

MORE PATTERN SEQUENCERS!
MORE FILTER MODULES!
MORE OSCILLATORS!

So much love for Reason.

One day I will more completely to Reaktor, but until then Reason is such a big friendly intuitive program.

Oh, and quick tip - rather than run stereo on one channel seperate a stereo out onto two channels on the mixer, and pan one hard left and the other hard right. Sound quality is much better. Better still, avoid using the reason mixer altogether.

Just thought I'd share that with you.
Have plugins and vst's coming out of my ears, and reason remains my firm favourite synth above all of them.

RDR
11-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Agreed... the subtractor is a f u c k in monster when you start playing with the phase and ring mod functions...

nice tip aboot the mixer as well...

findthesolution
11-01-2006, 07:37 PM
i may have to invest more time into reason. what is so bad about the mixer though?

Jay Pace
11-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Its just not the greatest mixer. It colours the sound, especially when you run stereo on one channel.

vadarfone
15-01-2006, 08:25 PM
oops. there is much more to the shite sound than that...

make your track in reason, then rewire into cubase (each track as audio) and work from thereeeee....

findthesolution
15-01-2006, 08:42 PM

make your track in reason, then rewire into cubase (each track as audio) and work from thereeeee....

can that be done in Live?

rounser
16-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Its just not the greatest mixer. It colours the sound, especially when you run stereo on one channel.
No dude, it just has a 3db panning law. This means that a stereo channel will be 3db less in volume when it's centred than when it's panned hard left or right. If you pan, this is a good thing - it stops sounds from disappearing when panned. It also offers headroom for when you're actually mixing, rather than when you're just tossing off over a single patch.

That's the reason why panning hard into two mono tracks seems to sound higher quality. 3db is too little a difference in volume for our feeble human brains to detect it as a difference in level (the average brain requires at least a 6db difference before it can consistently detect that the volume's different); instead, it's detected as a difference in quality because THINGS AWAYS SOUND BETTER TURNED UP.

So no, there's nothing wrong with Reason's mixer, despite internet rumour to the contrary, and if you don't like the panning law you can always use the trick you described above (but don't complain when you run out of headroom when you actually *gasp* try to mix it with something). :)

Jay Pace
16-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Damn my feeble human brain.

Thanks for the heads up mate. Another myth busted! Still maintain smearing honey on your speakers improves their bass response though...

TechMouse
16-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Damn my feeble human brain.

Thanks for the heads up mate. Another myth busted! Still maintain smearing honey on your speakers improves their bass response though...

*insert your own "sweet spot" joke here*

djshiva
02-02-2006, 06:28 AM

can that be done in Live?

yes. :)

278d7e64a374de26f==