PDA

View Full Version : how do i stop digital crackling on soundfourge recordings

techno_smack
12-01-2006, 02:18 PM
for some reason when im sampling into soundforge , or recording a mix or whatever, i get this digital crackling over the recording, its not clipping all the levels are ok i just get this annoying crackle over stuff.

can anyone suggest anything i could try? or maybe another program for recording into.

cheers

MARKEG
12-01-2006, 03:00 PM
i would say your input is too loud - how is your waveform? is it filling the whole screen? if so it's levels.

but you say it isnt, so i'm thinking then it's your soundcard. record into like ableton or cubase and see if the same thing happens. if so, disconnect, uninstall anything on add/remove programs, delete all traces of drivers from device manager, then reinstall.

you can try wavelab too - like soundforge just not as good imho.

techno_smack
12-01-2006, 03:38 PM
yeah its not the levels, the crackling does seem to be affected by higher levels though. i have tried everything but it still seems to be heard , with short samples sometimes ill be lucky and there wont be any on the bit i want but with mixes especially its becoming a problem.

ill try re installing drivers. the soundcard is the terratec dmx 6 fire if anyone knows anything about it.

thanks for the tip anyway ill try now

Mr.K
26-01-2006, 10:21 PM
I had this problem when I upgraded my PC. Among other things, I added a 250gb SATA drive with a single partition. Crackling noise was caused by recording to the same partition as the OS. Run Partition Magic or similar and add a seperate scratch file partition of 50gb or so for Soundforge. Ideally you should record to a seperate drive. Solved it for me!

Mr.K
26-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Ohh, you should also close down any programs running in the background. Unplug your computer from t'internet and turn off any anti-virus and firewall. If your realtime virus protection is scanning your wav file as you're recording, you'll get crackling.

278d7e64a374de26f==