PDA

View Full Version : Schranz

MARKEG
12-08-2003, 10:16 PM
I dunno about you but I hate that word, it sounds so silly to UK ppl, but for some stupid reason I like alot of the tracks that are coming out under that bracket. Christ even some of our stuff is now being categorised under this name. Is Schranz really something non-german ppl can get on?

Patrick DSP
12-08-2003, 11:03 PM
schranz is a silly made up name that was picked up by a germany record store owner when he over heard chris leibing talking about it back in 96/97 or so. and since then leibing has grown to hate that word he made up way back when too.

personaly i hate it too. it's a stupid name to pigeon hole hard german techno. techno is already too small to be sub-divieded like that.

-Patrick DSP

Sunil
12-08-2003, 11:35 PM
schranz is a silly made up name that was picked up by a germany record store owner when he over heard chris leibing talking about it back in 96/97 or so. and since then leibing has grown to hate that word he made up way back when too.

-Patrick DSP

Yeah I think Liebing has a disclaimer on his site, stating what he thinks of the term "Schranz".

TripleX
13-08-2003, 12:10 PM
personaly i hate it too. it's a stupid name to pigeon hole hard german techno. techno is already too small to be sub-divieded like that.

i totally agree

Angrymann
13-08-2003, 12:22 PM
I like a lot of the tracks that come out under the Shranz bracket , personally I don't really have a problem with names like this.

I think everyone just sees it as a commercial thing straight away but I don't think it is all about marketing and shit like that. I think Techno has to be subdivided nowadays, regardless of whether they come up with daft names like "Schranz" , "Wonky" or whatever. If it helps sort the wheat from the chaff then that's all good as far as I am concerned.

Techno is much bigger than it's ever been and with technology and the availability of music software , there are more and more tracks being released and it's not possible to just label everything as Techno cause us folk are into so many different types.
Look at this forum ,it's subdivided for ease and no-one has a problem with that. I have even been told off twice for having things in the wrong place.

I think I strayed off the point there. I couldn't care what they call it , I just care if I like it!!!

Bughead
13-08-2003, 02:07 PM
yeah isnt there a series of "schranz" mix cd's with everyone from Adam Beyer to Speedy J doing them...

I think its a german thing, to stamp their authority onto it...
A bit pointless really...

Angrymann
14-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Fair enough , the Germans did start the whole Techno thing off after all

miromiric.
14-08-2003, 09:50 AM
name is a name is a name.
how about this one: dark funky hard tribal techno *gggg*?
yes, i heard ppl describing music like that lol

MARKEG
14-08-2003, 09:54 AM
> Fair enough , the Germans did start the whole Techno thing off after all

?????????????????????????

Juan Atkins? Derrick May? Kevin Saunderson? German? :?

davethedrummer
14-08-2003, 09:56 AM
"schranz" : pronounced sh-raan-zz
adjective: used to describe something that is way too pointlees to have a normal word associated to it
ie : recent use in techno where distorted sounds are described as "schranz" by record shop owners in germany who just want to impress customers with their incredibly exclusive knowledge of a particular musical genre that attracts more snobbishnes than any other. and therefore seem "cooler" than all the plebs that buy records in thier shops.

found this in the oxford dictionary under "gullible" when i was looking for it the other day 'cos someone said it'd been taken out!

Esox Lucius
14-08-2003, 10:22 AM
it's a silly name.

crime
14-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Fair enough , the Germans did start the whole Techno thing off after all

erm.. I don't think so..... were part of it, but they didn't "Start the whole thing".... Brush up on your history!!!!

Esox Lucius
14-08-2003, 10:29 AM
that will be the belleville 3.

I suppose you could say Kraftwerk had techno influences though.

Esox Lucius
14-08-2003, 10:30 AM
or influenced them to make techno.

crime
14-08-2003, 10:37 AM
If you're going to use that anology, cavemen started techno by bashing rocks on rocks... ar africans, or the brazillians with samba.... or the british with the punk attitude, diy ethic etc...whatever... I don't think you can pin it on any one thing.....

Esox Lucius
14-08-2003, 10:39 AM
If you're going to use that anology, cavemen started techno by bashing rocks on rocks... ar africans, or the brazillians with samba.... or the british with the punk attitude, diy ethic etc...whatever... I don't think you can pin it on any one thing.....

good point.

Angrymann
14-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Kraftwerk were the start of Techno , my history is fine mate. If you want to argue about it fair do's but I think without Kraftwerk there probably wouldn't have been Techno.

I knew everyone would come out with Atkins/ May etc but Kraftwerk were the originals and Atkins , May and Saunderson were the first people to make Techno Music POPULAR , but not the first to come up with the sound!!!!!
If you ask them who influenced them , you'll get one answer Kraftwerk!!!

miromiric.
14-08-2003, 11:44 AM
kraftwerk schmaftwerk.
you can surely do better then this.

Esox Lucius
14-08-2003, 11:45 AM
kraftwerk schmaftwerk.
you can surely do better then this.

I hope you are not dissing kraftwerk there?

miromiric.
14-08-2003, 11:49 AM
i am not, although i dont like that music.

i meant there r things you can call techno made earlier then kraftwerk.
and more like techno. and better. and stuff. 8)

if you dare download NOW STEVE REICH - DRUMMING.

Esox Lucius
14-08-2003, 11:55 AM
fair enough.

Jimfish
14-08-2003, 12:13 PM
of course there would have been techno without kraftwork..

there are 6 billion people in the world and god knows how many gadjets for making music - im sure somebody else would have stumbled across techno

Angrymann
14-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Cool , I may have been a bit over the top with the " there probably wouldn't be techno if it wasn't for Kraftwerk".

But they were the first to discover the early sound of techno back in the 70's.

It's easy to say " someone" would have come up with it. It's like saying someone would have come up with Rock n Roll , even if Elvis hadn't. It's easy to say that once the event has happened.

I couldn't really give two ****s about who came up with it really , all I was really trying to say is " respect" to the Germans cause they have a lot to do with the origination and continuation of this great music we call Techno and no one can argue with that.

Bughead
14-08-2003, 01:59 PM
But surely if you are taking the "Kraftwerk" analogy surely you need to look at all those bands around the same time experimenting with synths, mad sounds , big basses...

I think the reason people associate Kraftwerk with techno is the development of musical instruments and that particular sound they had/have.

Can's Tago Mago comes to mind, as well as Gong or when Syd barret was in Pink Floyd....

Peace

Dez

crime
14-08-2003, 05:36 PM
I knew everyone would come out with Atkins/ May etc but Kraftwerk were the originals and Atkins , May and Saunderson were the first people to make Techno Music POPULAR , but not the first to come up with the sound!!!!!

Surely Kraftwerk are more well known that the Belleview 3?...

Who cares where it came from anyway, it's where it's going that's important... personally I find the sound of a totally repetitive loop goes nowhere.... just round and round....

MARKEG
14-08-2003, 06:26 PM
techno music was given the name techno by Juan Atkins after he read the book the 'techno' revolution. kraftwerk never called there music techno - althought it's definitely linked to it.

trance came out of techno but do we call techno, trance - NO!

i've interview Juan at length lots of times and he was very influenced by kraftwerk but to be honest it was the new sounds in the equipment that had just come out at the time that gave his music that certain feel. his early stuff was electro based - ie non 4/4. but his music was much more 'space' orientated than that typical electro we know from the early 80's.. and then when he stuck a 4/4 kick on it, well techno was born.

kraftwerk was about robots. not space.

both style were based around electronic futurism.

but to me techno music is not and never will be kraftwerk. there's a totally different feel/thought behind it.

crime
14-08-2003, 06:42 PM
It's easy to say " someone" would have come up with it. It's like saying someone would have come up with Rock n Roll , even if Elvis hadn't. It's easy to say that once the event has happened.

Elvis invented rock and roll???????

Jimfish
14-08-2003, 07:27 PM
oh, i thought elvis invented techno

Bughead
15-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Yeah like some of the Arkus P/Chris Noise/ Dj Amok/ Sven Wittekind/ Blackoutaudio et al is a long way from the Kraftwerk sound.

....but to me techno music is not and never will be kraftwerk. there's a totally different feel/thought behind it.

shannon
16-08-2003, 11:05 AM
its silly to argue about the origins of "techno" ... sure its important, but does it really matter ? all that matters is that we all share the same passion, and that is electronic music.

**** genres .... :twisted:

PETDuo
17-08-2003, 09:13 PM

-Patrick DSP

Just like the lenha thing...f*** that!

278d7e64a374de26f==