PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal add Adebayor to Diaby capture

Will
13-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Wenger said: "Emmanuel Adebayor is a great addition to our squad.

"He has shown in his performances with Monaco and Togo that he will add great quality to our offensive game. He is tall, good in the air and makes good runs. We are looking forward to him joining the squad when he returns from the African Nations Cup."

Wenger was delighted to have landed a player he feels can add an extra dimension to his squad. Vieira - for so long Wenger's midfield enforcer - left for Juventus in the summer, but the Gunners boss sees in Diaby many of the same traits as the former Arsenal captain.

"I like his potential, his physical power, the fact that he can win a fight in the middle of the park and the fact that he's good going forward as well," said Wenger.

"He can be a complete midfielder. Of course he has to develop, but there is a real, real potential there. People compare him a little bit with Vieira because he has a similar stature.

"He is a little bit of a different player, but Patrick is a good role model for him; to model himself on Patrick would be in my opinion a good idea because he has that kind of stature and strength."

Wenger declared: "He is young, but he can make quick progress and I feel he is ready for the fight."

So not only have we added strength in depth to the area's we lacked it, they'll both bring a greater physical presence too - and it looks like we might sign Theo Walcot too - so the 2nd half of the season should be interesting!

Will
13-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Arsène Wenger has entered the race to sign teenage sensation Theo Walcott — but the Arsenal boss is far from crossing the finishing line.

"He's a player we rate," said the manager. "We are looking at him, yes. But I don't need to look too much at him because, personally, I like him.

"It is not at the [financial] numbers suggested [in the media] because we are not in advanced negotiations at all. We are not the only club who are after Theo Walcott but you ask me if I like him, I will say yes.

"It's like when you start a race with 10 other players and you ask me are you hopeful that you will win the race? I will say yes but there are nine others who think the same."

At 16, Walcott is considered to be one of the brightest young talents in the English game. He has not played in the Premiership but was involved in two FA Youth Cup ties with Arsenal in recent years. He was on the bench as a 14-year-old when the two teams met in January 2004 and scored the only goal down on the South Coast in February last season.

"I like the timing of his runs and his determined attitude," said Wenger. "I also like the fact that he can play in different positions up front and that he is calm in front of goal. The composure he shows in decisive moments doesn't change, whether it's in Division One or Premiership - you have that or you don't have that. He has determination as well and electric pace."

Media reports this morning suggested the winger wanted to come to Highbury and that Thierry Henry is hero.

"I'm pleased to hear that," said Wenger. "Thierry is not a bad role model for him. There are similarities. Thierry was a wide player and Theo can play either wide or central as well.

"But from me liking him, him liking the club and the deal being done, there is still a step to go."

278d7e64a374de26f==