PDA

View Full Version : Sunil Sharpe!! The Irish Prince Of Techno???

Davin
14-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Good Day all!! I recently went to see a dj called sunil sharpe, which alot of you might know from these forum's, however I had never ever seen sunil before but what I saw and heard on the night for me was THE best techno performance all round - from tunes to just sheer energy created this guy is shit hot at what he does and was HONESTLY better than any foreign techno Dj I had ever seen in this country!!!!! I self admittedly was taught a lesson on thursday night as were all the clubbers who were lucky enough to be there!So, I have to ask and answer a question - IS SUNIL THE PRINCE OF TECHNO IN IRELAND??? **** YEAH!! And I am slowly counting down the days until I can be taught another lesson!!!! - Davin

The Divide
14-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Top bloke that Sunil guy although I have a feeling hes connected to a reptilian plot

stjohn
14-01-2006, 04:21 PM
i always thought of him more as a Queen!

rhythmtech
14-01-2006, 06:38 PM
he wears lovely jumpers.

massplanck
14-01-2006, 08:15 PM
:doh:

stjohn
14-01-2006, 08:46 PM
lethal DJ nontheless, i think its the old school earfones!
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~thayl/bmb/sunil1.jpg

Sunil
14-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Oh shit, I feel really embarassed now :blush:

That "Dublin's Prince of techno" tag that Giles and Simon gave me seems to have stuck as well :blush: :) haha..

Well thanks a lot Davin, glad you enjoyed that, so did I ;)

Y'know as a dj I don't go shouting the odds around the place about myself as I'm not a big self promotionist and don't maybe see DJing as being so important sometimes, but I am happy when someone catches me play who mightn't have seen me before.

One thing that's put me off gigging as much in Dublin over the last while was the lack of suitable venues, just seemed kinda pointless in many ways, compared to how it was only a short space of time ago. Unfortunately some of the richer, swankier venues have begun to emphatically rule the roost, as any of the half way decent spots in Dublin aren't available anymore.

I did have a cool feeling after that gig the other night, as it seemed like there was a whole new bunch/new generation of heads that were out and going for it. There's a bit more excitement and ambition in the air right now with lots people planning gigs and a few new venues popping up, I think this year's looking promising already.

Anyway, again :blush:

Sunil
14-01-2006, 10:21 PM
i think its the old school earfones!

hehe. Yeah, as cool and old skool as they look, the DT-100s are not the best kind of headphones for DJing with. Used them out for a long time but eventually realised that they are not best suited for the job. Great headphones though :)

massplanck
14-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Its the makaton t-shirts not the headphones.

dan the acid man
15-01-2006, 12:31 AM
my mum always told me not to trust people named after something from the bill tv show ;) :lol:

Sunil
15-01-2006, 01:16 AM
my mum always told me not to trust people named after something from the bill tv show ;) :lol:

Sun-hil is a common mispelling alright ;)

I bet you didn't know I have my own washing up powder in Germany as well :cool:

http://www.schnaeppchenjagd.de/go/art_thumbs/tn_64_11788502.JPG

dan the acid man
15-01-2006, 01:28 AM
does it get your clothes whiter than white though :lol:

Davin
15-01-2006, 05:53 AM
It might seem a bit far fetched, but i cant stress enough how good this set was!!!! this is my 2nd post on this topic and y'all might be thinkin get the **** over it, but you had to be there to understand, this was like no other set I had heard and seen!! Raw, dirty,and, tough are just a few words that come to mind and thats just the tune selection, when I talk about technique ....................the ONLY word that comes to mind is COMPLETE!!!!! I know sunil and I have no bias in this topic, but i cannot stress this enough................the guy just rocked the place,left everyone listening in awe!!Like I said I had never seen him b4 but my god, I was taught a lesson!!and once again I am counting down the days until he plays next!! The prince of techno!! A worthy title for a dj who, for me was just amazing and memorable!!
If you happen to read this again Sunil, at first I thought come on THE PRINCE OF TECHNO............as you could imagine!!!! but **** me that is a title I can only say is thoroughly deserved!! your newest and biggest Fan Davin!!!!

rotten
15-01-2006, 09:40 AM
we need more people like you davin! cheers and respect! ;)

MARKEG
15-01-2006, 01:13 PM
we need more people like you davin! cheers and respect! ;)

i'll second that! :clap:

rhythmtech
15-01-2006, 01:52 PM
have to say. dont know sunil "that" well at all, but if anyone is ever in spindizzy records have a chat with him. he's a nice guy and he'll talk to you about techno as long as you've got time to stand there! respect.

Davin
15-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Nice 1 Rotten & Mark, but you would both be sayin' exactly what I have if you were there :cheese: Dav!!

stjohn
15-01-2006, 02:47 PM
sunil..... whens the last time you banged a mix online ye feckin waster... i have webspace if you need it!!!

go on you know u want to!!

Fan
15-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Sunil : Can you stick up some of the names of the electro tracks you played at the start of the night ?
Thanks

Conan
15-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Y'know as a dj I don't go shouting the odds around the place about myself as I'm not a big self promotionist and don't maybe see DJing as being so important sometimes.

I did have a cool feeling after that gig the other night, as it seemed like there was a whole new bunch/new generation of heads that were out and going for it. There's a bit more excitement and ambition in the air right now with lots people planning gigs and a few new venues popping up, I think this year's looking promising already.

Maybe you should be a bit more vocal tho, you've definitely got the respect and the talent so why not.

I truely believe that if we want to make a revival of the scene in dublin and in other places we need to use the powerfulness of a dj performance as its catalyst. That doesnt mean creaming ourselves when the big names come over and then not getting the end product in performance level, but instead using the homegrown talent which there is an abundance of and create some energy in night clubs and start having fun again.

Attitudes are changing tho and its nights like thursday that help change them more and put life back into things.

stjohn
15-01-2006, 06:10 PM
well said Conan!!! i like your attitude. We're starting to see a new techno scene emerging in Dublin now. We have the household names like Azrael/Fran Hartnett, Sunil, GmcD, Massplanck who seem to be very much focusing on production, building on what can often be a very small scene. Ive heard productions from all, aswell as a few others like Rhythm Technologies, and the level of production is very high across the board.

I hope to see a group of like minded people, take the dublin scene to the next step, where punters are willing to part with their money for irish acts and productions. Like you said Conan, get the fun back into it!

D1 have their corner but can be very close minded with their releases. Personally Im not a huge fan, but i still respect their work.

But i think if we get lucky with a few more venues popping up in Dublin, along with the talent that is already there, the future is bright.

G-BO
15-01-2006, 08:18 PM
seen sunil in locked, was pretty hammering stuff

also seen giles armstrong dj in shine when green velvet done the live show

not a bad dublin representation i have seen so far

rhythmtech
15-01-2006, 08:46 PM
i think the problem in dublin @ the moment is that there's a lot of feeling of "why bother". venues are non-existent really and speaking from promoters i know, we're sick of the mediocre turn-outs and crazy prices for venue hire. certain clubs want 300+ for hire and then you've got the cost of a rig & artist on top! it just doesn't make economic sense to start up a new club unless you got a pile of cash.

i know its not all about the money but i got mouths to feed.

Sunil
15-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Sunil : Can you stick up some of the names of the electro tracks you played at the start of the night ?
Thanks

This is any of the electro played at the beginning I think, wasn't in this exact order though:

The Advent - Telecom [KR 019]
The Advent - Program Da Futur [KR 04]
Mystik Letter K - Caprilectrix (Electrix)
Silcon Scally - Borexino (Spacebar Sentiments)
Robert Hood - Razr (Music Man)
0-1-11 vs Lekebusch - Descent (H-Productions)
Tobias Schmidt & co. - Royal Klunk [Cynthia Stern mix] (Input Output)

Sunil
15-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Attitudes are changing tho and its nights like thursday that help change them more and put life back into things.

For sure. Techno just went into overkill with all the nights that were happening, and with a few key venues dissappearing. The appetite and excitement for it isn't hard to build back up again I don't think.

SlavikSvensk
16-01-2006, 01:32 AM
sunil do i have to refer to you as "your highness" from now on? ;)

The Overfiend
16-01-2006, 03:12 AM
Sunil is a stand up guy and very well minded.
If he is getting his recognition now I say good for him he deserves every cent of it.
I hope more people get to hear his tracks as well, he's quite the producer as well.
Kudos big man.

Technobitch
16-01-2006, 01:42 PM
i saw sunhil play at Locked, was a quality set, the crowd loved it!

Sunil
16-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys ;)

francois
24-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys ;)
good man sunil....'bout time too! It's me 40th sat 4 feb in the hub, drop down for some ole' geezer techno and madchester/baggy indie stuff, myself and mick heaney are gigging for the first time together since about 92, (old skool UFO stuff) and anyone else on the list are more than welcome...I did a deal: free in b4 10, and if we get enough bodies in they'll close the place up and we can run amok till all hours..warren K doing a bit as well should be a laugh

Sunil
24-01-2006, 09:14 PM
good man sunil....'bout time too! It's me 40th sat 4 feb in the hub, drop down for some ole' geezer techno and madchester/baggy indie stuff, myself and mick heaney are gigging for the first time together since about 92, (old skool UFO stuff) and anyone else on the list are more than welcome...I did a deal: free in b4 10, and if we get enough bodies in they'll close the place up and we can run amok till all hours..warren K doing a bit as well should be a laugh

Nice one Francois, I'm there ;)

massplanck
24-01-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm gonna be in the vicinity too around then. :techno:

Last bash till snails 40th. ;)

Sunil
24-01-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm gonna be in the vicinity too around then. :techno:

Last bash till snails 40th. ;)

haha, yeah not long now

The Overfiend
25-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Have any sets recorded?

Sunil
25-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Have any sets recorded?

Jaysus, I've stacks of sets recorded, but I think the last one that went on the web was from 2003.

Ok, I think I know what a New Year's resolution of mine should be ;)

SlavikSvensk
25-01-2006, 04:32 AM
post one, your irishness!

BastardoElectrico
25-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Nice one, good to see Sunil getting the credit he deserves...Played one of the best sets ive ever heard off anyone at an outdoor festival we ran down in Cork two years ago absolutely destroyed the gaf, pity i didnt record it.

philipryan
25-01-2006, 02:47 PM
he plays a bit too much prog for me :)

There was a mix from Sunil on the Creation web site a while ago... not sure of the address though - or if it even exists any more

rotts
25-01-2006, 05:04 PM
well said Conan!!! i like your attitude. We're starting to see a new techno scene emerging in Dublin now. We have the household names like Azrael/Fran Hartnett, Sunil, GmcD, Massplanck who seem to be very much focusing on production, building on what can often be a very small scene. Ive heard productions from all, aswell as a few others like Rhythm Technologies, and the level of production is very high across the board.

I would love to hear some of the productions from these guy's if there dj sets are anything to go by they should be great.

I also think it's graet to see sunil getting the respect he deserves as a dj. I have seen him play in Dublin several times and never been the slightest bit disapointed. He gives harder techno that edge it deserves and as someone else pointed out he is a top bloke and very well minded.

I also think the talk of getting the exitment back into things while using homegrown names is great and as sunil has said 2006 is looking good.

philipryan
26-01-2006, 12:41 AM
We have the household names like Azrael/Fran Hartnett, Sunil, GmcD, Massplanck who seem to be very much focusing on production, building on what can often be a very small scene. Ive heard productions from all, aswell as a few others like Rhythm Technologies, and the level of production is very high across the board.

I would love to hear some of the productions from these guy's if there dj sets are anything to go by they should be great.

There's a set from Fran Hartnett HERE (http://www.cypher-musik.net/FranHarnett-Compression280505.zip)

Also, check my signature below... there's plenty more mixes from various Irish DJs there

RedRob
26-01-2006, 09:25 AM
ye big respect to mr sunil, knows his tunes very well and ultra helpful in the shop, outside of it and on the forum too. dunno bout anyone else but when i started buyin records i found the sheer amount of vinyl in a record shop quite intimidating. didnt know any labels or producers but felt quite comfortable in spindizzy (and still do) being a bit ignorant about whats what and who's who and was helped along very mcuh so by sunil in finding the tunes i wanted without being made feel like an idiot (which had happened in the past). always very helpful when a bit strung out for ideas for gigs too. sound bloke, massive respect.

cheers sunil

Rob :)

also if anyone wants to hear more of homegrown dublin pop down to planet underground on 10th feb, 4 rooms covering tekno, psy, progressive, reggae and d'n'b......

massplanck
28-01-2006, 09:31 PM
I have to take my hat off and say thats there isnt ANYONE who comes close over here to being as knowledable & dedicated to techno or even music as our very own mr Sunil Sharpe.

****ing unreal dj & tune fashioner. The world would be a really really dull & shite place without him. :clap:

PS: Sunil put that fiver in the post for me as promised.

drudles
01-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Prince of Techno?? Absolutely not... the King at least :razz:

Yeah, no-one comes close to this man at the moment, he's been pushing boundaries on the Dublin scene for some time and deserves no less respect than has been given. Fair play Sunil!! :thumbsup:

Sunil
01-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Well, thanks a lot guys.. it's really nice to be appreciated :blush:

Drudles: Are you back in Ireland?

drudles
01-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Well, thanks a lot guys.. it's really nice to be appreciated :blush:

Drudles: Are you back in Ireland?

How a ya Sunil? Yeah unfortunately so, back to reality... and freezin me b*llix off :(

G-BO
02-02-2006, 12:52 AM
awwwccch a big sunil sharpe hangfest......

pity theres nobody up in belfast whod have ye up lad

trying to get on the case for doing a night meself

Sunil
02-02-2006, 09:50 PM
awwwccch a big sunil sharpe hangfest......

pity theres nobody up in belfast whod have ye up lad

trying to get on the case for doing a night meself

Good luck with that, you're the new generation to get that shit going :rambo:

Yeah, I used to enjoy coming up, always had a good buzz with Pete and the Perps... and that first time in Vicos was a crazy atmosphere, really memorable gig actually..

darkmockeray
03-02-2006, 07:54 AM
YE FAIR PLAY TE YA SUNIL!!!!!! KEEP HER LOCKED........

any releases due these days???

havent been listinen to any techno in months........ but on the other hand i am on a tropical island so cant be complainin.........

hows it goin drudy - how was OZ land??? im dreadin reality too........ still have a few months to go though!!!!! THANK F**K........

278d7e64a374de26f==