PDA

View Full Version : music environment

imported_sicknote
17-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Im in bristol...have been for the last year and a half and i beleive me mixing/producing has suffered cos im originally from just outside london (reading area) and away from me mates and the scene.

so me topic is ...
do you tink being around your mates or whoever is into the same tuneage and mixing/producing, affects the way you mix/produce and keeps you on form and interested?

i know theres some of you peoples that are in the same boat or some if not all your mates arent into the darker side of music so how do you deal with it and what keeps your preferred vice (mixing/making) fresh and just as good as when you first got into it all.

fallen soldier here people... need the wise and the brave heh heh.

fatcollective
17-01-2006, 12:03 PM
i think you only get shit at something if you dont stick at it, practice makes perfect as they say. Regardless of your mates being around you or not, if you have passion for mixing and producing, i dont think much can get in the way!

imported_sicknote
17-01-2006, 12:09 PM
yeah definatly...
but ive got the passion, and its not really the fact that im getting worse im just saying about the way that being in the scene and around like minded peoples like mates and not in some outpost which is what it feels like for me sometimes, keeps you fresh and stuff

dan the acid man
17-01-2006, 04:11 PM
to be honest, if all your mates listen to the same stuff as you, it can have a negative effect, i like the fact some of my mates listen to things from hip hop, garage, rock and drum n bass.

it means i get exposed to music i might not otherwise find out about, then you can take all those influences and use them yourself.

imported_sicknote
17-01-2006, 04:57 PM
definatly....you draw influences from all sorts of genres and even being at parties and listening to mixes you find out the way others mix and even applying an element from another genre into your music
thats what keeps the music going

what if you couldnt be influenced tho?

what if you were on an outpost left to your own devices and only the tunes you buy?

how differant would your mixing/producing style be?

would you even be into it as much?

hmmmm.....

boredom has definalty gotten to me today.....but its still quite interesting that your style could be vastly differant if the access to all influences was taken away.

dan the acid man
17-01-2006, 05:19 PM
i honestly couldn't see it affecting me, maybe in a studio capacity its better if you have people to write with, as you can bounce ideas off each other, and learn tricks that the other person knows and you don't.

but apart from that it wouldn't bother me,
in fact, try thinking of it in another way, less distractions, means more time to practice and learn

rhythmtech
17-01-2006, 07:54 PM
on a differant note, i think living enviroment definitly affects the tunes you write. b4 i got my new place a year ago i was living in a s h i t hole council estate. everything was grey including my productions.. they were needlessly heavy and boring.

then i moved into a lovely house, garden blah blah and all of a sudden i was writing the techno i wanted.

imported_sicknote
19-01-2006, 09:23 AM
yeah thas what i was trying to get at rhythmtech....your immediate personal environment having an affect on the way you go about your music. ive had time on my own alot with my music recently so its about time for some outside inspiration as well.

me tinks due time for a party :dance:

278d7e64a374de26f==