PDA

View Full Version : eq hats and percussion

da hound
21-01-2006, 11:04 AM
allrite people
just curious 2 know the way u go about eq,ing compressing ur hats its something that i really get bogged down on trynin 2 seperate these sounds in the mix any tips tricks or general advice would be well apriciated

Mindful
21-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Personaly gentle reverb and delays can work wonders for a bright floaty sound and mild distortion and bitcrushing works for me for adding a bit of crunch.

Somthing that I do to get hats floating in the backbround is insert a reverb with the dry setting all the way off and a hefty wet setting then give it quite a strong compression(high ratio) seems to work for me.

EQ wise just do what sounds right I suppose I mostley take a fair amount of bottom end off(not allways tho as somtimes its that part of the freaq that I want)somtimes Ill take off some top.
I nearly allways cut some low tho and boosting at around 13khz can add a bit af sparkle(somtimes it just hurts your bloody ears tho)

da hound
21-01-2006, 11:57 AM
cheers mate

BloodStar
21-01-2006, 10:46 PM
first, i always try to choose the hi hats, which will be in right contrast to kick and other elements in the track. when i'm eqing i do whatever sounds good and help them to fit well in the track. mostly rolling off the bottom and then shape the sounds as i need.
i put all the hi hat channels into a group and then compress the group little bit and also compress each channel with hats separately when needed.
then i use reverbs, which ii have got in send busses,. mostly it's some early reflection, and then some more ambience verb, but not too long and wet.
some hats sounds good when they are mono and some works nicely in the wider stereo field with more amount of verb and delays,, probably tambs and stuff like that. when i need some more crunchy hi hats i use some distortion,cruncher,or something like that.

278d7e64a374de26f==