PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help.... speed/connection issues

log:one
02-02-2006, 02:56 PM
i guess this is the right place for this?

basically im having major porblems with azureus and messenger.

while my download speed from websites is fine (2-300k/sec), recently azureus struggles to get above 100, when its always absolutely cained before.

also im having major trouble sending and receiving files thru messenger, i nearly always get an "error in transfer" message.

ive opened ports and all that malarky, but to no avail.

please help...

02-02-2006, 03:05 PM
should have mentioned im on tiscali

am a heavy user on restricted bandwidth at peak times but these problems are all the goddamn time

TechMouse
02-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Don't know enough about Tiscali to be specific.

Do you have some kind of gateway / router, sharing your connection across a network?

MARKEG
02-02-2006, 04:02 PM
yeah if you have a router you have to open up your tcp and udc ports for your specific ip address

02-02-2006, 05:15 PM
nope, no router.

have just found the "block UPnP traffic" option on my firewall... think that might have summat to do with it... as i understand peer2peer uses this?

MangaFish
02-02-2006, 07:46 PM
the MSN issue might be down to MSN servers. I've hear somewhere that they've siphoned off some of their servers specifically for the MSNv8 beta testers. I'm not entirely sure how MSN file transfers work as i dont think at any time you have a direct connection to the person you are chatting to. (thus each byte of data in the file transfer will have to bounce of MSN servers 1st)

as for the other problem you are experiencing: when was the last time you thoroughly cleaned your system and checked for virus, trojans and spyware? These are the usual cause for net slowdown if there hasnt been a physical change to your system

02-02-2006, 08:23 PM
i run spybot and adaware every day...
thing is with messenger i can generally send files ok but not receive them. and in azureus my upload speed kicks ass and my download sucks it.

fudge it, im just gonna throw it all away, run to the forest and get back to nature.

bye!

MangaFish
02-02-2006, 09:44 PM
do you have a fire wall and virus scanner though? spybot et al will only protect you against so much

278d7e64a374de26f==