PDA

View Full Version : hardhouse crossover

MangaFish
05-02-2006, 07:56 PM
i've got an open mind to music and (though i was never a fan of this stuff) i could tolerate it and appreciate it for bringing in some new talent into techno.

sadly though - instead of aiding the techno scene, i think its doing just the opposite. because of the flood of this poorly produced, repetitive and formulaic percussive hardhouse, a lot of clubbers have actually been blinded by the cliches and lost sight of that techno is really all about.

its a shame really as i thought the potential this crossover stuff had could have actually paid dividends for our scene as its an un-intimidating way to introducing new blood to a scenes thats labelled as being pretentious and anal (which to be fair, the techno scene is a lot of the time).

bha - i'm actually quite offended by some of the tracks labelled off as techno these days. no imagination what-so-ever.

eyeswithoutaface
05-02-2006, 07:58 PM
amen to that, there's some extremely dodgy stuff about

MangaFish
05-02-2006, 08:12 PM
yeah. i'm all for hardhouse producers getting into techno. i dont mind them writting stuff thats still got a stomp to it or whatever appeals to their scene. but its whenn they release stuff without really understanding the scene and market it as 'techno'. 99% of it is just hardhouse with a couple more layers of percussion and a looped vocal.

is it really too much to ask for these people to do a little research or listen to a few mixes from techno icons BEFORE dictating to other people about what techno should sound like. maybe i'm 'anal' for thinking this way, but i'm pretty sure they would be the 1st to complain if i made a techno track with hoovers and marketed it as hardhouse.

Jay Pace
05-02-2006, 08:21 PM
All the kids I knew who used to be into to hard house and NRG are all into schranz type stuff now.
Soulless mechanical filthy stuff, high energy though. And if thats all you want...

Davin
05-02-2006, 09:35 PM
bha - i'm actually quite offended by some of the tracks labelled off as techno these days. no imagination what-so-ever.

100% agree with ya on that one!! Some of the "STUFF" being put out at the moment and for the last while, and not just by crossover producers but by many acclaimed ones (eg. Marco Bailey) is absolute cod shit, processed techno manafactured purely for the main stream listeners,I find it real irritating and annoying but also understand that they gotta get into techno music somehow!!!! ...........................Sorry to all the Marco Bailey fans but I just dont like the guy's music!

MangaFish
05-02-2006, 11:32 PM
i see why you are coming from, but fair play to Bailey because he is a good platform fo people to discover other techno tracks. he knows and understands the scene well and although his chosen path maybe more mainstream he does bring new blood to the scene. for this alone i can forgive his lesser-developed ideas.

obviously i dont want to name names, but there are some new labels and producers out there that see 'techno' as nothing more than a marketing pitch. granted they're trying to diversify the sound in their scene, but at what cost?

davethedrummer
06-02-2006, 03:27 AM
oh no
not a marco bailey hijack !!
christ on a bike!

it was never really his ( marco baileys) stuff that crossed over with hardhouse anyway.
it was more like acid techno really and that kind of stuff ,
but even acid techno lacks cheese factor and bounciness for the hard housers and after a brief fling with techno , hard house went back to being hard house again , and thats about it really.
basically techno people don't really want to go to hard house clubs and hard housers don't really bother with techno clubs
so booking techno djs in hard house clubs just didn't really get the numbers up to justify trying something new , that to be honest the hard house clubbers didn't really get into that much anyway i.m.o.
theres the odd tidy weekender and riot and andy farleys blue club at turnmills one or 2 otheres but thats about the size of it now as far as crossover clubs go.

yeah so theres a few hard "dance" labels about and they're producing more techno styled hard house , but at the end of the day , no one is trying to preach to any one and say what techno is or isn't.

they're just making music for their scene in the way that they want it.
it's a kind of bastard love child of techno if you will.

personally i think it's a shame , 'cos there is so much great techno around.

but i have to admit there isn't much techno that you can play with hard house at 155bpm in the world , so these guys are making it themselves

fair enough
but you don't have to like it.
and if you don't , then just ignore it ,there's plenty more fish in the sea.

RDR
06-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Good words, but im hoping you dont think that ignoring it means there shouldnt be a debate, although TBH navel staring doesnt do anyone any good. People find it hard to accept evolution in music, be it bad or good.

Its really all a matter of taste.

jon connor
06-02-2006, 03:40 PM
send in the techno police shoot them and destroy :lol: yea man some really cheesy stuff going on at the minute phewwww! anyone heard edie haliwell latley ? i have to listen my neibour blasting every new cd he gets and some of it is like holy shit techno with cheese hahahahahahha but its ok i soon drown him out with me glen wilsons and me kay d smiths etc :lol: its like a battle of sound round our gaff on weekend cheese versus techno hahahahahahahahahahahh guess whos loudest ;) avit " stop the cheese" :cheese:

dirty_bass
06-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Well, I guess from a hard house perspective, at least the music in their scene is evolving by taking in the sounds of outside influences.
So for the hard house crowd, it`s all good really.
Not my cuppa at all, but fair play to them trance monkeys, if they want a sprinkle of techno in their hard house sounds, it ain`t gonna cause much damage.

It`s about time we stopped blarging at other scenes and concentrated on developing and evolving our own.

jon connor
06-02-2006, 04:01 PM
each to there own i say ;) you like wot you like an if hard house is going more techno then fine let it the people will get into it and find out more about techno thus hopefully buy better quality ;)

MangaFish
06-02-2006, 07:42 PM
oh no
not a marco bailey hijack !!
christ on a bike!

it was never really his ( marco baileys) stuff that crossed over with hardhouse anyway.
it was more like acid techno really and that kind of stuff ,
but even acid techno lacks cheese factor and bounciness for the hard housers and after a brief fling with techno , hard house went back to being hard house again , and thats about it really.
basically techno people don't really want to go to hard house clubs and hard housers don't really bother with techno clubs
so booking techno djs in hard house clubs just didn't really get the numbers up to justify trying something new , that to be honest the hard house clubbers didn't really get into that much anyway i.m.o.
theres the odd tidy weekender and riot and andy farleys blue club at turnmills one or 2 otheres but thats about the size of it now as far as crossover clubs go.

yeah so theres a few hard "dance" labels about and they're producing more techno styled hard house , but at the end of the day , no one is trying to preach to any one and say what techno is or isn't.

they're just making music for their scene in the way that they want it.
it's a kind of bastard love child of techno if you will.

personally i think it's a shame , 'cos there is so much great techno around.

but i have to admit there isn't much techno that you can play with hard house at 155bpm in the world , so these guys are making it themselves

fair enough
but you don't have to like it.
and if you don't , then just ignore it ,there's plenty more fish in the sea.

not technically accurate though. There are several labels springing up that are dedicated 'techno' labels yet they are nothing more than percussive hardhouse. some of the producers on these labels ARE preaching to the hardhouse massive that they are the embodiment of techno. because of these producers i am finding it hard to hold conversations with any of my mates in the hardhouse scene as they have been totally mislead into believing that techno is what it is in fact not (if that makes sense)

one saving grace is that contrary to your other point) there are techno DJs booked at hardhouse events (billy nasty, picotto, chris liebling and marco bailey). granted they are the more mainstream techno DJs but its far more than i would ever have expected. however this trend is already reversing as hardhouse DJs are picking up on this new percussive sound and playing their very own 'techno' nights.

MangaFish
06-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Well, I guess from a hard house perspective, at least the music in their scene is evolving by taking in the sounds of outside influences.
So for the hard house crowd, it`s all good really.
Not my cuppa at all, but fair play to them trance monkeys, if they want a sprinkle of techno in their hard house sounds, it ain`t gonna cause much damage.

It`s about time we stopped blarging at other scenes and concentrated on developing and evolving our own.

that was my original opinion too. but now all they've done is replaced the hoovers for hi-hats and re-branded it as techno. its still cold funkless music. in fact its probably marginally worse as its loopy any dull.

MangaFish
06-02-2006, 07:45 PM
each to there own i say ;) you like wot you like an if hard house is going more techno then fine let it the people will get into it and find out more about techno thus hopefully buy better quality ;)

that too was my original thoughts, but it seems to be having hte reverse effect. hardhouse people are loosing objectiveness of what techno really is and instead they are flooding the market with rip-off music

eyeswithoutaface
06-02-2006, 08:02 PM
im with you all the way on this mangafish, i totally see where your coming from

i just dont let it bother me though, people do see through the really bad stuff in the end, and if they dont, well im sure their happy lapping up their "high n-rg" hard dance music, but il be just as happy at home listening and making something with a bit more depth and that actually contains, shock horror, a bit of music in there!

jon connor
07-02-2006, 02:01 PM
is this the kinda stuff you mean

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/202144-01.htm&highlight=bootek

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/197824-01.htm&highlight=bootek

http://www.bangingtunes.com/vinyl/view/bootek04/

http://www.bangingtunes.com/vinyl/view/bootek05/

http://www.bangingtunes.com/vinyl/view/bootek06/

http://www.bangingtunes.com/vinyl/view/bootek10/

:lol: well it certainly entertains me misses :lol: but hey like i said each to there own man if ya dont like it ya dont have to you like wot you like your taste is your own taste i beat my self up at first like i said with my neibour who lives below me when i first heard thes tunes off his new eddi haliwel mix cd blasting out the window and the jon come listen this tune hahahahahahaah i was a bit hert at first beeing a techno tropper for many years now infact i was a bit of a bitch but the more and more i listened and the weeks went buy it just made me laugh :lol: hey come on thse are kids gettin into a new sound so they think with a dj like eddi haliwel who does nothing but play pre recorded scratches on cd hahahahahhahaha and the crapest effects possible on the pioneer 909 to the guys like my neibour hes a hero but even tho i may not be a eddi haliwell fan i can have a bit of respect for him for pushing techno fairplay. a lot more kids now want to purchase some techno already my neibour is in my house every weekend scaning my techno asking me who to look for wot artist etc for me this a result , :cheese:

The Divide
07-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Man those are purrre cheese

This ones kinda fun tho ...

http://www.bangingtunes.com/vinyl/view/bootek10/

hahahah

Si the Sigh
07-02-2006, 03:30 PM
I quite liked the Mylo "Drop the Pressure" mash up Bootek release... :oops:

jon connor
08-02-2006, 01:32 PM
:lol: ooooooooooooooooooooo! shake that ass bitch :lol: love it but i tell ya wot at least its better produced than them schranz things we have been bombarded with the last year phew! so fairplay to them aya! ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==