PDA

View Full Version : Techno Purists

Tiddlypeep
17-08-2003, 04:39 PM
Before I start I'm not meaning to cause any offence at all just to let you all know...

What exactly is a 'Purist'?!?.

wenna
17-08-2003, 05:20 PM
i'm a little unsure aswell?

i've got a feeling that it's someone who hates all music except the very hardest of techno? :roll:

Col
17-08-2003, 05:25 PM
i've got a feeling that it's someone who hates all music except the very hardest of techno? :roll:

yeah id go along with that

crime
17-08-2003, 08:44 PM
It's what people get accused of being when they don't like something that's blatently cheesy shite... Techno purists only exist in the heads of people who go on forums and get dismayed that people don't share the same taste in music as themselves.. Techno purists don't really exist...

The Divide
18-08-2003, 12:55 AM
Interesting.

Not sure about a techno purist been someone who hates all sounds part from the hard sound.

I always thought a purist was some one who hates all kinda music apart from a certain sound/style thats what "they" think is the real and propper face of techno.

All i can say on this when i first went out and the dj's I was out to played a sound that was dubbed "the purist sound". It was very mimimal and rythmical synth driven stuff and no so much hard. uhm shame I cant come up with any names of the artists who made this sound as such, but i think it was people like Joey beltram erm planetary assualt systems and holy ghost. The sets wasnt fast n furious more textured and complex and to be honest i miss it in a way.

To be honest I dont like the purist way of thinking, ie thats tune doesnt do such and such so its shit. I do think they exist tho, I think its some one who insists they are right and are very closed minded about other forms of techno. That could be someone who instists its hard, wonky mimimal ect. I feel sorry for people who cant realy enjoy music coz they think everything else is shit apart from a certain sound.

If that was every artists way of thinking everything would sound the same

Someting like that perhaps

F

The Divide
18-08-2003, 12:59 AM
Then again i cant say this 100% so i guess really its a label that someones come up with and not something that realy exists (as you said), just apears from time to time.

F

Epps
18-08-2003, 09:44 AM
^^^^^^^ I love your avator Fernando...

davethedrummer
18-08-2003, 03:49 PM
so do i
i love fernando's avator too

i think a techno purist is just a crashing bore no?

anx
18-08-2003, 05:36 PM
to me a techno purist is someone who only likes the boring detroit minimal stuff, and if the track gets more than 4 or 5 different sounds to it, it becomes too much for them and they hate it.

"i only like my techno with a boring housey groove, a hihat, the kick can't be too hard, and maybe a bassline if im feeling dangerous. and god forbid if the track goes anywhere, i want it to be the same from beginning to end!"

suck on this!

spiralx
18-08-2003, 05:40 PM
to me a techno purist is someone who only likes the boring detroit minimal stuff, and if the track gets more than 4 or 5 different sounds to it, it becomes too much for them and they hate it.

"i only like my techno with a boring housey groove, a hihat, the kick can't be too hard, and maybe a bassline if im feeling dangerous. and god forbid if the track goes anywhere, i want it to be the same from beginning to end!"

suck on this!
Yup, that's what I picture when I hear the term as well... knew a couple back at university and they were right pricks :roll:

Esox Lucius
18-08-2003, 07:06 PM

suck on this!

what a load ofcrap

detroit techno, boring?

although stupidly hard loopy techno isn't?

don't make me laugh.

Esox Lucius
18-08-2003, 07:08 PM
sorry that post was a bit arsey, that's your opinion so fair enough, although I do not agree with you at all.

anx
18-08-2003, 07:12 PM
ok whatever

i find it boring

and i said to me a purist is someone who only likes that stuff.

i have heard good detroit, but for the most part...boooooring....

its all opinion really.

and that comment in the quotations wasnt meant to cuss out detroit, it was meant to cuss out the "purist"

sorry if i offended you

ok, not really

anx
18-08-2003, 07:13 PM
woa we posted that at the same time.

its all good.

gotta love the lack of an edit feature hey!

Patrick DSP
18-08-2003, 08:16 PM
I can understand what ty/anx is saying...

To me a purist is someone who only cares for the purist source of an item and does not accept variations nor new additions but only the direct source!

thus in the case for techno purists, why anx and I equate this statement to Detroit techno snobs is, they only care for the original source or what they deem to be the purist version of "their" sound and will not accept variations.

In my opinion, it's a self-confidence issue with them. they dropped an E, fell in love but care to move themselves up in social status by saying that they only listens to the purist cleanest (and thus they equate "the best") version of techno. It’s like buying Grade-AAA dirt for your little brother's sand box at $25 a pound imported straight from Italy, so you can brag to your neighbors that only the best dirt is suitable for your needs. It’s ****ing dirt you self absorbed prick.

Thus the techno purist is born along with the lable "proper" techno

I don't think their dads hugged them enough as a child.

-Patrick DSP
www.patrickdsp.com
"Techno purists suck on this!"

anx
18-08-2003, 08:26 PM
patrick dsp for mayor!

gold.

John Vella
18-08-2003, 08:54 PM
hahaha

great!

-jOHNNY

Jimfish
18-08-2003, 08:57 PM
my dad hugged me too much

Patrick DSP
18-08-2003, 08:59 PM
my dad hugged me too much

no your daddy touched you in your "no no" places

-patrick
(just kidding)

Jimfish
18-08-2003, 09:12 PM
yeah ok, but at least my mum didnt breast feed me till i was 12

:wink:

The Divide
18-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Pats mum still baths him in the sink

Francisco Scaramanga
19-08-2003, 04:04 PM

suck on this!

Look, I totally know what you are saying, I know people like this, and its truly dissapointing, but lets try to keep a balanced view point folks, every style of music has its own "purists". For every "detroit purist" I guarantee you there is a "london purist" and a "swedish purist" and an "italian purist", and it goes on. I run a night, and I can honestly say we cover pretty much everything that is techno. As a result I have had people give me shit for playing every style of music you can imagine. Some examples:

"Too much acid mate, wheres the funk"
"Havent you got anything more bangin"
"If the DJ plays any slower I'll fall asleep"
"How can you dance to this, its way too fast"
"Havent you got any music with feeling"
"Whats with all this cheesy shit"
"What the hell is this breakbeat crap"

I've had this harrasment from all sorts of people who were into all sorts of things. Basically I've always just told them to **** off, as everyone else is having fun. I think the best was New Years Eve, one of our residents was doing the 12:00 slot, and dropped Lionel Richies All Night Long at the stroke of 12. There were a bunch of Hardcore Techno fans in there (they were expecting what I would call gabba) and they almost rioted.

Another thing - if you think techno is the most "purist" prone genre, think again. Some of my mates who listen to Drum 'n' Bass are just as bad, same with a lot of people I know who like funky house, but even worse is what happens when you venture out of the world of electronic dance music. If you think thats bad, try the world of Jazz, or Classical, or Blues. Some of these people get seriously seriously absorbed in it, and I reckon that Jazz has probably got 10 times as many subgenres, and therefore 10 times as many "purists" as techno has. And of course you've got your New Metalers vs. Fret Wankers and so on and so forth in the world of rock and roll.

What it all comes down to is some people are dumbasses. The secret is to understand and accept this, and be happy with the fact that you are not one (hopefully).

saaam
19-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Word. Purists are everywhere, it comes down to peeps thinking their particular taste in music is superior to all others. Silly really.

And lionel ritchie? Bring it on!

(btw, I've got a wicked speed garage remix of a tony di bart tune - hevvy!)

:wink:

saaam

crime
19-08-2003, 04:41 PM
"Too much acid mate, wheres the funk"
"Havent you got anything more bangin"
"If the DJ plays any slower I'll fall asleep"
"How can you dance to this, its way too fast"
"Havent you got any music with feeling"
"Whats with all this cheesy shit"
"What the hell is this breakbeat crap"

You can't please all the people all of the time....

Totally agree with what you're saying....

Angrymann
19-08-2003, 04:51 PM
I think Purists are the folk that have probably been into their music style at it's inception ( or there abouts). They are probably the one's that ran the original clubs and were looked up to by everyone becaues they were the only one's doing that sort of thing.They may have been idolised by folk looking for the next trend to follow etc.

I think these "Purist" folk dwell on past reputations and refused to ,either accept new movements within their genre, or accept new technology within their genre', for the simple reason that they are not good enough to move with the times. They diss anything new because they are running scared from the newer breed of music or whatever because they are scared of being found out for not being very good. ( I am only taking this from people I know that are like that , still doing **** all but talking and acting like they know everything).

They see the good old days as being the best , when they were a big name because there were less people dj'ing , the equipment wasn't as good therefor didn't pick up all the mistakes that modern equipment does.

I think these very same purists are the folk that tend to be redundant within a genre , they may still play out but will be playing to smaller crowds and mainly to folk who kiss their ass because of their past name etc.

anx
19-08-2003, 05:41 PM
alright

sorry for the detroit generalization.

that is just what I think of when i hear that word.

and let me just say i dont like the purist way of thinking at all, for any style. I play funky, acid, hard, dirty, tribal, a bit of minimal, and i play breakbeats and im sure i can come up with names for the other types of techno i play but i dont wanna

i just think its stupid to stick to a SUB-GENRE in a music style. talk about limiting yourself.

The Divide
19-08-2003, 06:12 PM
I herd that purists live under bridges and are a bit like lepricorns

davethedrummer
19-08-2003, 06:30 PM
i heard purists have really smelly hands
oh no sorry that's poo wrists!
my mistake.
damn this encyclopedia!

anx
19-08-2003, 06:50 PM
boooooooooooo!

davethedrummer
19-08-2003, 06:53 PM
what!!!!!!!
it wasn't that bad!!!!

o.k it was.
"ouch! ....i agree.... ouch!.... o.k. ...ouch!.... please stop hitting me! " etc etc etc

miles
19-08-2003, 08:10 PM
You should have went in "Fat Cat" mate when it was going. ( you maybe a bit to young)
If you didn't know what the latest tunes were..you would have been
lynched!..not by the staff, but by the punters who looked like the pub scene from " An American Werewolf in London"
Mind you...what a ****ing quality shop it was...educated many a person,
obviously not too many on this board...apart from people like Herman etc>

dfndr
19-08-2003, 10:33 PM
purist=man of steel nervs with nasty hunting weapons to hunt
good tunes...
behind the decks=100% darkness

278d7e64a374de26f==