PDA

View Full Version : DE9 - Closer To The Edit v Transitions

module
07-02-2006, 12:08 AM
takin the basic stereo Transitions..

personally, i'm favouring Closer To The Edit.

what say BOA ?

stjohn
07-02-2006, 12:17 AM
id have to go with Closer To The Edit. perfect in every aspect IMO

it changed the way human beings think!!!!!!!!!

ye right, still good tho!! ;)

Sunil
07-02-2006, 12:22 AM
takin the basic stereo Transitions..

personally, i'm favouring Closer To The Edit.

what say BOA ?

Yep, "Closer To The Edit" is better. It's more engaging and feels a lot more human than "Transitions". The concept has obviously been pushed further with the latter, however as a mix it doesn't really deliver in my opinion; granted he has the "listen to it on the headphones" card to exonerate himself, I do think he's gone up his hole a little bit in order to get to that next level.

You take a fraction of those records he used and do a 'normal' DJ set with them, and you'd have a better listen. I admire what he's done here, and I'm not knocking him, I just don't think it was a very rewarding listen, more an exercise in "Look what I can do" rather than "Listen to how great this sounds".

Maybe I should have listened to it in 5.1, although I'm just taking it for its musical content and more importantly its flow, and in both departments it is lacking in comparison to previous Hawtin mix projects.

Dustin Zahn
07-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Closer to the Edit was pretty boring for me and sounded like loops being mixed together with a lacking structure. With Transitions I feel he built something new all together to provide an alternative angle.

eyeswithoutaface
07-02-2006, 12:32 AM
i thought they both sounded great, especially to clean the kitchen too. Just put either on, start cleaning and you'l see what i mean. Lovely stuff all round

module
07-02-2006, 12:34 AM
i'm reserving full judgement on Transitions as an album in its own right til i do get the 5.1 listen.

but based on the stereo, i prefer Closer To... due to its more dj than producer feel.

thats jus my taste though. i dont think one is 'better' than the other.

sunil, if you 'watch' the dvd, when u see the listing come & go, it is amazing jus how many trax are working together in places.

i actually plan to buy a 5.1 system jus for this type of mix, cos its coming around now. i hear Tippers 5.1 is pretty impressive, and i bet my bottom dollar theres more in the pipeline from established artits.

module
07-02-2006, 12:39 AM
i thought they both sounded great, especially to clean the kitchen too. Just put either on, start cleaning and you'l see what i mean. Lovely stuff all round

lol

if des lynham reviewed techno, it would sound like that :lol:

module
07-02-2006, 12:41 AM
sunil, the i said 'watch' may have come across a bit.. sarcy or patronising..

sorry, jus assumed you'd jus listened in the Spin Dizzy shop..

eyeswithoutaface
07-02-2006, 12:49 AM
i like to base myself on old Dessie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1981/gallery/340/des.jpg

i prefer "Closer to the edit" though

module
07-02-2006, 01:02 AM
lol

jesus thats begging to be 'flyered' that image..

anyone run a sunday night techno gig lol

eyeswithoutaface
07-02-2006, 01:06 AM
it is a particulary tasty image

Sunil
07-02-2006, 01:15 AM
sunil, the i said 'watch' may have come across a bit.. sarcy or patronising..

hehe, you're grand, I didn't even notice ;)

S/E
07-02-2006, 02:15 AM
I like this CD. It is best experienced in headphones...

module
07-02-2006, 02:24 AM

yep.. its ace on trains & planes.

really wanna hear the 5.1 version.

oldbugger
07-02-2006, 08:41 AM

best experienced with a good 5.1 system i think.

closer to the edit has always been my favourite but what he has done with transisitions is just breathtaking. i like them both equally in their own rights however i know what people mean about transisitions. you really should all hear it in 5.1 before commenting though, its serously special.

Jay Pace
07-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Prefer "closer to the edit", but for slightly strange reasons - I barely notice its on. Its like giving your mind a warm bath.
Perfect for falling asleep to, fluid evolving music. I've never really heard anything like that album.

Transitions had more bite to it and tracks that had identifiable tracks or sections that had definite ass shake potential.
A bit patchy in places but then it was much longer and much less fluid.

But to be honest if you haven't heard transitions on a proper 5.1 you haven't really heard it.
Which is a bit of an arse, few people have 5.1 systems, and even fewer have 5.1 systems that are up to scratch.
Heard properly it is pretty breathtaking.
Its debatable whether you should really make an album that only 1% of your audience are going to truly appreciate in the way you intended.

Admire what he set out to do, and loved that it came on DVD & CD with loads of extras.
But closer to the edit was unique. Transitions just went a step further on.

Numeric
07-02-2006, 01:24 PM
i haven't even heard Transitions on 5.1 and i still think it's awesome...

mattboyslim
07-02-2006, 06:36 PM
i haven't even heard Transitions on 5.1 and i still think it's awesome...werd

g
07-02-2006, 06:52 PM
http://www.internettime.com/images/Coca-Cola-Logo.gif

F Pepsi!

drift9
07-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Have to say I love Transitions and am a bit partial to it over Closer. However, part of that enthusiasm is based on the package as a whole: you get the cd, bonus extended-mp3 mix, and dvd. a lot of effort went into this project and it shows.

module
07-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Have to say I love Transitions and am a bit partial to it over Closer. However, part of that enthusiasm is based on the package as a whole: you get the cd, bonus extended-mp3 mix, and dvd. a lot of effort went into this project and it shows.

the 75 mix is actually the 'shortened' mix. the original mix is 93 mins or summat.

top package (oo-er) all in all.

basslinejunkie
07-02-2006, 09:54 PM
i havent heard de9 for a long,long time,only got it on tape but now i dont have a tape player.and i still havent listened to transitions properly yet

g
08-02-2006, 12:20 AM
tape? you sure you don't mean the first de9?

module
08-02-2006, 12:26 AM
actuallu, if u put on Transitions, the Closer To The Edit, the Dex, Fx & 909 you get over three hours of great music.

try it at home if theres a group of mates heading to a techno night & meeting for beers first.. its great for gettin up a good head of enthusiasm :)

oldbugger
08-02-2006, 08:11 AM
actuallu, if u put on Transitions, the Closer To The Edit, the Dex, Fx & 909 you get over three hours of great music.

try it at home if theres a group of mates heading to a techno night & meeting for beers first.. its great for gettin up a good head of enthusiasm :)

i o listen to them all pretty regular :cheese: with the 2004 i love tyechno set thrown in for good measure ;)

aggressor
08-02-2006, 01:08 PM
had not heard of Transitions before I saw this thread so have just bought a copy off e-bay for £7.00 says its never been played. :)
I will let you know what I think

278d7e64a374de26f==