PDA

View Full Version : Making Music

Mankal
07-02-2006, 12:56 AM
I've got some experience in audio such as audio equipment and audio editing. I'm working on a podcast and I've been trying to get some music for the opening and closing themes. What I've been doing is experimenting with cutting down songs for themes but it usually doesn't work too well. I've been forced to do this since I don't have a musical bone in my body. I've been told that its not too hard to learn how to make music and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest ways of learning how to read music and then take that and actually write a song. I'd also like to know what kind of equipment and programs I'll need since I'll primarily be doing techno.

BloodStar
07-02-2006, 11:18 AM
not easy answer on this one. first,. in SW production i would recommend you some audio sequencer like Logic or Cubase or stuff like that. Start with the default instruments and effects. i think these are ok for understading, and you can do some pretty good things with these and move to the others after while. Very good side for lot of infos on VST instruments and effects,.is http://www.kvraudio.com. check the All plugin section and look around, there.There is plenty of good stuff, some of them free some for cash.. first i would go for Digital Fishphones and mda plugs, these are free., and i would recommend some PSP plugins, Waves, Arturia, GMedia or Native Instruments, these are for cash... It's hard to recommend some stuff as this can be also very much up to personal taste, and something what is the best for me doesnt need to be same with you and vice versa.. I'm sure you will find the best tools after some time,.
I am not talking too much about musical part of thing, learning how to read music and then do it,, and so.. When you have some musical feeling you will find the good way for moving further after some time. Referencing to the similar stuff can also helps i think. cheers..

stempelkissen
13-02-2006, 01:30 AM
If youre only making 'throwaway' music to use as themes for your podcasting I'd recommend FL Studio, formerly fruity loops. You can knock up a track throwing loops togther in no time and in costs far less than cubase or logic. If you've got a mac have a look at garageband, thats full of loops designed for exactly your situtation. Incredibly simple program.

If your serious about making quality techno then I'd recommend going on a music tech course somewhere.

RDR
13-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Or fire away the questions here. I teach music technology, it aint a substitute for the real course, but the good folks on BOA are always more than happy to help.

REEEEspecT!

RDR
13-02-2006, 09:08 AM
You will need to ask more specific questions tho'.......

Mankal
13-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Or fire away the questions here.

Was the word "here" supposed to be a link?

278d7e64a374de26f==