PDA

View Full Version : Starting up a record label?

Mindful
10-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Could anybody please direct me to any intresting web sites, links or reading.

Not that im going to start one up, just intrested in what I would need to do for when or if I wanted to do so.

Also any advice or suggestions would be very nice.
Info on distro, pressing ect

Thankyou :)

dirty_bass
13-02-2006, 02:11 AM
Can`t think of any websites, but I can tell you most of what you need to know.
Essentially, first advice I would say is, don`t do it, it`s truly a venture for the mad and the stupid.
Secondly, don`t do it, it`s truly a venture for the mad and stupid.

Yes, I am mad, and very stupid.

If you still are considering doing this, then consider points 1 and 2 again.

Then if you are still thinking about essentially taking on a very expensive hobby, then send me a pm with the questions you want to ask.

fatcollective
14-02-2006, 12:41 PM
it hard work and yes money well un-spent....but it is a great buzz at the same time!

fresh_an_funky_design
14-02-2006, 12:42 PM
i second that, also ask ureself do i have a £1000 minimum to throw away

on the upside i enjoy running my label
the best advice i can give if u still wanna do it is dont rush it get a good distributor, good artwork and most importantly damn good tunes... not just tunes u think are good, ask people would they be prepared to shell out for this music.

want any more info pm me

Mindful
14-02-2006, 03:33 PM
, first advice I would say is, don`t do it, it`s truly a venture for the mad and the stupid.
Secondly, don`t do it, it`s truly a venture for the mad and stupid.

Im stupidly mad :bonk:

Mindful
14-02-2006, 03:55 PM
The fact is that im willing to loose as much as i put in at the moment.
What else could I spend my mony on thats going to be as worth while?......well my girlfreind i suppose.
But at the moment all or most of my mony goes on other peoples music so...

Mindful
14-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh and thanks DB ill take you up on that offer soon.

dirty_bass
14-02-2006, 05:24 PM
well the other thing you have to consider is.
Look at each months techno releases on juno.
each month you see a glut of 001`s , by X.

and it`s saturating the market.
Distributers will literally carry anything right now, especially if it runs down the middle of the road and sounds like whatever is selling at the time.

Consider if what you would be doing is necessary and different enough to warrent another new label in a swamp of sameyness.

If it`s just stuff that sounds like it could go on another label, then send it to another label, there are over a hundred out there, if you can`t garner a release on one of them, then maybe that`s telling you something.

I had to think very long and hard about starting a new label. I think I`ve got something that is fairly unique with my new project, but I really did have to check the market first to make sure, and even then I looked at distribution outside of the current techno scene (I had to, to make it worth while), which is essentially on very tenderhooks right now.

however, knowing you a bit steve, I`m fairly sure you have something pretty unique to offer, but do consider looking outside of the techno scene for distribution, as you will be hitting a shrinking market otherwise.
If you are serious, I think we should really talk, as it would be cool to build a network or loose label collective of the new sound in techno, and you are definitely someone who should be considered part of the new, fresh sound.

Judging by the interest I have in singularity there is a whole new market out there, plus a host of bored techno heads looking for something different, but it will take strength in numbers to build momentum on this.

JohnnySideways
15-02-2006, 07:26 PM
good advice there from everyone...altho i'd say jus go for it..yes there is a ****in lot of samey shit out there...but thats exactly the reason i chose to do things my way on my own label...so i can have it lookin and sounding exactly how i know it should...without someone who thinks they know what techno 'should' sound like ****in it all up!
man i'v even been told my track titles arent 'techno' enough FFS!!!
what is this? its the incestuous 'techno' attidude thats got everyone in such a ****in rut...
I'l say this...IMO if there was actually a stack of genuinely interesting and different techno on the shelves every month there wudnt be this problem of disinterest from record buyers party goers etc
Fair enuff..so the UK market is a bit fuct...then look elsewhere...
Iv not sold even 100 units of KO-01 in the UK, yet the other 400 sold out in France in 2months and im now repressing..
yeh find ur market..it dont have to be here...pretty dull scene here anyway!!

JohnnySideways
15-02-2006, 07:35 PM
oh yeh..forgot to say good luck! always handy ;)

Mindful
15-02-2006, 09:33 PM
thanks Johnny nice words and good luck yourself.

BloodStar
16-02-2006, 08:52 AM
I cant say too much on this as there are other people who can say more:; just wish you good good luck:::

278d7e64a374de26f==