PDA

View Full Version : Techno so many black artists but....

Sam1978
21-11-2002, 01:05 AM
.....how come so many of the major techno artists / DJs/ producers over the years are black, but yet so few black people like techno.

Even the main original pioneers of techno were black: Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, Blake Baxter. If you look at the amount of black artists involved in the scene over the years, there are loads: Jeff Mills, Carl Craig, DJ T-1000, Colin Dale, Steve Rachmad, DJ Rush, Green Velvet, DJ Bone, Stacey Pullen, Claude Young, Robert Hood, Trevor Rockliffe, Carl Cox.

But yet if you go to a techno club or to a record shop selling techno, the vast majority of fanatics are white and you’d be hard pushed to find a black face.

Not that colour of a person’s skin should matter, but I just find it a bit strange, anyone else ever wondered this ?

krakp0t
21-11-2002, 01:12 AM
i've thought about that a lot. why is techno most popular in the whitest of white countries eg: sweden, germany, netherlands, belgium?

i really don't have any answers. lots of japanese kids into techno as well.

IvorRingingInMyEars
21-11-2002, 03:02 AM
Techno has always been black music in my opinion. I think Derrick May said something to the effect when being interviewed on his views about karftwerk that "the Europeans left us waiting, they started something, but they never finished it" Techno is what happens when Black kids grow up on Al Green, and then they get a hold of Visage records!!!

People change and music changes, some people who like techno start to dislike it and move on. Go to a drum&bass or Garage night in London, it is exactly the opposite (spot the white man).

I agree with the last post about Japan. Most of Asia are into techno I spent some time in Thailand a few years ago and they fcuking love it. Sven Vath and Richie Hawtin were very popular as were underworld. It's really weird to watch as none of them touch drugs and they jump around lunatics totally loving the music, the DJ’s must love it. If any of you get the opportunity visit south east Asia, do it, it's happening place if your into your techno…

DJPAUZE
21-11-2002, 07:55 PM
Thats quite an interesting point you made there. When i lived in Toronto i kind of felt it was like this, depends on the crowd your raised up in. In the projects in Toronto, Rap music is prodominently big.

But my black friends who grew up in a middle class society were usually open minded to all styles of music not just hip hop.

In Brazil its the oposite, here one of the best djs of techno is black. A lot of the up and coming djs in the scene here are black too!!! Im not sure why this is but it might have to do with the population of black vs white vs hispanic.

But anyhow who the Frig cares!!!!!!! Black white purple, green orange, hell if they aliens come and bring me some hard ass techno they are welcome here anytime!!!!!

Peace

Pauze

gunjack
21-11-2002, 09:39 PM
black is the presence of all colors.

krakp0t
21-11-2002, 10:00 PM
gunny in da hizouse

gunjack
22-11-2002, 05:06 AM
take me to your leader.

Esox Lucius
22-11-2002, 06:31 AM
well to be honest I see lots of black people in techno clubs, techno isn`t just for white people or black people, it`s for everyone.

michealbr0ke
22-11-2002, 06:53 AM
in our national soccer team (Holland) half of the players are black... while only about 15% of the population is black, they are just better in soccer I think.. So maybe black people are just also better in...... nah

278d7e64a374de26f==