PDA

View Full Version : Opinions oh webby type people?

RDR
11-02-2006, 01:08 AM
The image is 1024x768 but i resized it for here... its going to form the back of my new webshite.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5559/weback56zi.jpg

Let me know what you think, perhaps by printing it off and using it for dart practice.

MangaFish
11-02-2006, 02:02 PM
looks good. you probably might want to make the picture a good 50 pixels or so smaller each way as if someone is using a screen resolution of that image, bits of it will be missed off due to the windows taskbar, the title bar of the webbrowser as well as any toolbars within internet explorer / firefox / etc (assuming the site doesnt open in a new window where you specify the new window not to have any toolbars)

not to sure if you were after any technical input or just a thumbs up on the image, but i'll post some coding ideas here in case you were stuck:
perhaps the best way to implement this is to slice the image up into 4 segments and put each of them into a table with no cell padding. that should speed image load up a smidgen. you probably wouldnt get away any smaller segments as i'm assuming the while items on the left with text written on are buttons. realistically you dont want the buttons to touch overlap the segmants otherwise it makes setting up the hotlink* area of the image a trifle difficult.

* if you wasnt already aware - basically as well as having the whole of an imge acting as a link to another page / site, you can set regions within an image. so one image can have several zones which are click sensitive. thankfully it shouldnt be difficult to set up as your images are rectangular.

just out of interest, are you going to have a contingency plan in case people are using a screen resolution of less than 1024x768? i doubt many people would but a few people using older machines at work might as well as people using those super smart phones and palm-top PCs.

RDR
11-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks Mangafish!

Just the feedback i was looking for, i hadnt considered the 50pix stuff.. and the point about 1024 is good, although to be honest, they can just bloody well scroll...

All the links at going to make info/links appear in a window in the mid/top right..

TBH im not going to be doing this myself, cos im shit at it - my friend who teaches web type things will be doing it..

the feedback is very musch appreciated tho chief

BTW did you like the image?

MangaFish
11-02-2006, 06:30 PM
i did like the image. for those sort of things i personally feel that the image needs to be interesting enough to hold your attention without being too 'busy' where its hard to workout what parts are interactive and what parts are not. You seem to have struck the balance pretty well

278d7e64a374de26f==