PDA

View Full Version : Genres?(Don't know whats what?)

8 + 2 = 10
13-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Question on 1

What's Schranz?
2.Acid Techno
Minimal Techno
Hard Techno
Hardcore Techno
Detroit Techno
Swedish Techno

Name artist and the sytles of the each genre(ie what equipments mostly used, what are characteristics, and what are the good points) :paranoid:

Will help clear stuff in me heard

According what people say here acid is Dave the drummer and Chris Libling
Swedish is Hertz, Beyer
Detroit Carl craig derrick may that
minimal hawtin

but I need more information on the each genre and common traits of each :oops:

Buttman
13-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Schranz - Stigmata releases by Chris Liebing/Andre Walter
Acid techno - dunno, never heard. Unless you mean the mid90s genre
Minimal techno - Robert Hood
Hard Techno - Glenn Wilson
Hardcore Techno - ?
Detroit Techno - Carl Craig, UR, Juan Atkins
Swedish Techno - I guess it could be both Adam Beyer and Grovskopa ;)

8 + 2 = 10
13-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Oh but whichgenre uses 303. 808 and what the **** is a 303?(Synth or that thing that gives out rave sound : )) or which genre uses synths or loops software or hardware. You know all the ingridients you need to make a track accordingly.

8 + 2 = 10
13-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Oh but whichgenre uses 303. 808 and what the **** is a 303?(Synth or that thing that gives out rave sound : )) or which genre uses synths or loops software or hardware. You know all the ingridients you need to make a track accordingly.

Sunil
13-02-2006, 03:59 PM
For **** sake.

8 + 2 = 10
13-02-2006, 04:18 PM
what

Adrenalin
13-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Buttman, you actually never heard acid techno?!!! Stay Up Forever Rec., Smitten Rec., Wah Wah Rec., the Liberators, etc.?! I find that really hard to believe if you are into techno.

The Overfiend
13-02-2006, 05:31 PM

Punches you in your eye with great rage and furious answer for being so wrong about that.

Andre Walter is too good to be in that category.

Buttman
13-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Andre Walter produced Chris Liebing and Chris Liebing is the originator of the word schranz.

Buttman
13-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Buttman, you actually never heard acid techno?!!! Stay Up Forever Rec., Smitten Rec., Wah Wah Rec., the Liberators, etc.?! I find that really hard to believe if you are into techno.

I thought that was London techno or hardhouse.

echodek
13-02-2006, 05:45 PM
acid techno is hard house for squatters!

The Overfiend
13-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Andre Walter produced Chris Liebing and Chris Liebing is the originator of the word schranz.

But not what someone would classify as "schranz" now
They have publicly come to regret coming up with the word and being affiliated with it. Loosen up your black turtleneck.

Patrick DSP
13-02-2006, 06:21 PM
labels are only good for my underwear so i can write the day of the week on them. (and record store clerks).

Col
13-02-2006, 07:33 PM
acid techno is hard house for squatters!

lol.

acid techno = crusty tramps.

dirty_bass
13-02-2006, 07:49 PM
techno is techno is techno is techno
learn to love it all

module
13-02-2006, 07:59 PM
was schranz not jus a word like 'hard' or 'funky' that got taken waaay out of context ?

as DSP says, labels are for underwear.

Xavi
13-02-2006, 08:08 PM
learn to love it all

u said it mate :toast:

Miromiric
13-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Acid techno - dunno, never heard. Unless you mean the mid90s genre
Minimal techno - Robert Hood
Hard Techno - Glenn Wilson
Hardcore Techno - ?
Detroit Techno - Carl Craig, UR, Juan Atkins
Swedish Techno - I guess it could be both Adam Beyer and Grovskopa ;)

is this some kind of joke or are you having a jolly good day today?

dirty_bass
13-02-2006, 08:40 PM
was schranz not jus a word like 'hard' or 'funky' that got taken waaay out of context ?

labels are for Chavs.

dan the acid man
13-02-2006, 08:48 PM
learn to love it all

amen to that brother bass

The Overfiend
13-02-2006, 09:50 PM

labels are for Chavs.

Leave Scott & Danny out of this!

RDR
13-02-2006, 10:19 PM
learn to love it all

amen to that brother bass

Can i get a HELL YEAH!

Why not go further, music is music is music is music.

And labels are for journalists, not music technologists.

I love it ALL. there's always something to be found in music, there's always something in any genre that can turn you on in every type of music - INCLUDING country, jonny cash anyone?

The best you can think is that to work with other musicians be they DJ's Bass Players, Guitarists is a journey and a pleasure.

the ones you learn from are your brothers and sisters and the ones who never learn are your lessons.

:cool:

Col
13-02-2006, 10:31 PM
why even bother calling it music? just call it art. infact why pin it down at all, lets call it 'nothing'

nothing is nothing is nothing is nothing

Jay Pace
13-02-2006, 10:36 PM
There are better ways to descibe music than pidgeonholing it.

Substance abuse, which just got played at the olympics could be described as acid techno minimal techno and detroit techno, but that wouldn't mean much to anyone. No one can ever really agree firmly what falls into what genre.

Better off finding labels or producers whose output you like.
Techno is ace, like dirty said - learn to love it all.
There are gems in every corner in every style.

dirty_bass
13-02-2006, 10:48 PM
there's always something in any genre that can turn you on in every type of music - INCLUDING country, jonny cash anyone?

The best you can think is that to work with other musicians be they DJ's Bass Players, Guitarists is a journey and a pleasure.

the ones you learn from are your brothers and sisters and the ones who never learn are your lessons.

Now THAT is what I`m talking about :clap:

And as for geting good out of country.
Ain`t no thang like the reverend horton heat when he gets his country hat on.

Yeeeehaaaaa mother****ers

Buttman
13-02-2006, 10:59 PM
is this some kind of joke or are you having a jolly good day today?

I am not sure... Was feeling kind of naughty writing it.

Buttman
13-02-2006, 11:06 PM
They have publicly come to regret coming up with the word and being affiliated with it. Loosen up your black turtleneck.

Ah well atleast it used to be known as schranz when it was released.
What is schranz today then?

Loosen your hoodie btw!

RDR
14-02-2006, 12:30 AM
why even bother calling it music? just call it art. infact why pin it down at all, lets call it 'nothing'

Thats because you are thinking of nothing.

Zen master.

RDR
14-02-2006, 12:31 AM
there's always something in any genre that can turn you on in every type of music - INCLUDING country, jonny cash anyone?

Yeeeehaaaaa ****

:lol:

Feelin RIGHTEOUS!

Col
14-02-2006, 12:51 AM

Zen master.

i do apoligise.

you have a pig, and you have a horse.

but they are farm animals right?

Sunil
14-02-2006, 03:56 AM
what

I think your post was a bit annoying, that's what. What are you after? Full, detailed descriptions of every genre of techno? I like to share my knowledge when I can, but not with people who want to be spoon fed like you, as if we owe you fully written manual or something? Maybe I'm being harsh, but I saw no "please" or "thanks in advance" or anything like that, and then when you're given an answer you dismiss it instantly. I dunno, you don't come across as clueless as you let on which is why I wouldn't be too keen on dropping everything to help you. All the information is at your fingertips for God's sake.

You were given some info prior to this, and Buttman gave you a few names too. You go do the homework and find that shit out, listen to the bloody stuff, trace your way back (or ahead) and see what you find. Go to www.discogs.com, type some names in, look for Jeff Mills, Juan Atkins, Richie Hawtin, Plus 8, UR, Harthouse, R&S, Trax, Dance Mania, Baby Ford, Daniel Bell, Basic Channel, Cari Lekebusch, Hardfloor, Stay Up Forever, UR, Lenny Dee, Kevin Saunderson, Joey Beltram etc. etc. and see what happens ;)

RDR
14-02-2006, 08:06 AM

Zen master.

i do apoligise.

you have a pig, and you have a horse.

Erm... yes.

Im hung like a horse and eat like a pig...

(or was it the other way around?)

:blush:
but they are farm animals right?

8 + 2 = 10
16-02-2006, 01:27 PM
what

I think your post was a bit annoying, that's what. What are you after? Full, detailed descriptions of every genre of techno? I like to share my knowledge when I can, but not with people who want to be spoon fed like you, as if we owe you fully written manual or something? Maybe I'm being harsh, but I saw no "please" or "thanks in advance" or anything like that, and then when you're given an answer you dismiss it instantly. I dunno, you don't come across as clueless as you let on which is why I wouldn't be too keen on dropping everything to help you. All the information is at your fingertips for God's sake.

You were given some info prior to this, and Buttman gave you a few names too. You go do the homework and find that shit out, listen to the bloody stuff, trace your way back (or ahead) and see what you find. Go to www.discogs.com, type some names in, look for Jeff Mills, Juan Atkins, Richie Hawtin, Plus 8, UR, Harthouse, R&S, Trax, Dance Mania, Baby Ford, Daniel Bell, Basic Channel, Cari Lekebusch, Hardfloor, Stay Up Forever, UR, Lenny Dee, Kevin Saunderson, Joey Beltram etc. etc. and see what happens ;)

Ah mate relax, it was half-hearted joke but also geniune curiosity and what makes what and some reference point, thats all :scratch:

Of course I am not totally alien to techno. I real would like to know what equipments are used to achieve a similiar sound to those subgenres, so I could go copy them :eyes: No but really if I want to do something with that music I would add my own spices. I really do want to know a good minimal artist, acid, and hard techno and even hardcore so I can go check them out and then completely slag them off here :cheese:

And I geniunely like to check different sounds to see if I am missing something grand because it's good to check everything out. I even gave psy-trance a try at juno :oops:

rotten
16-02-2006, 01:47 PM
10: is your name itoh? ;)

SUNIL FOR PRESIDENT!!!

8 + 2 = 10
16-02-2006, 01:50 PM
what is itoh?

MITA
16-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Sunil ripped the topik!

spoon fed ,hahahaha...fully written manual,,,LOL

@8+2=10 be nice,ask proper and maybe youll get some nice answers
thisway only seemed like youre trying to tease ppl here.

rotten
16-02-2006, 02:07 PM
10: use this to fill up your knowledge

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html ;)

Adrenalin
16-02-2006, 08:30 PM
It takes a while to know all the characteristics that make up the sub genres. You just have to hear them on a regular basis. When I first got into electronic music everything was "techno" music. Now I realize a lot of the early stuff I was listening to wasn't techno at all, but breaks and drum 'n' bass. It takes spending a lot of time online listening to sound bytes at numerous websites, hangin' out with other DJ's, going to shows, etc.

tocsin
16-02-2006, 08:59 PM
8+2=10, I'm not sure how serious you are being but, since nobody answered, a 303 is def a synth. It's the shortened term thrown around for a Roland TB-303. The Roland TB-303 is often associated with the sound which defines acid techno. As for genre names though, meh. Don't get too caught up in em. They're pretty much just marketting gimmicks nowadays.

snooch
17-02-2006, 03:47 AM

Yeeeehaaaaa ****

You should try some David Alan Coe. One of the unsung heros of this genre. He's a dirty bastard too. "Don't bite that dick when you suck it."

8 + 2 = 10
17-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Sunil ripped the topik!

thisway only seemed like youre trying to tease ppl here. :coffee:

There are lot more exciting things to get excited about you know :eh:

8 + 2 = 10
17-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Sunil most of the artist you mentioned are pretty 90's correct? Looking for more useful references like

Loop techno fits where?
Hardware where?
Samples are key in which?

You know something like that would've been lot more helpful then listing best of 90's techno

philipryan
17-02-2006, 04:31 PM
If you ask me you're completely missing the point. Why should it be a case of thinking "well I want to make techno, so I'll need a 303, an 808, a synth and some samples"?

I say Nay to pigeon-holing/constant sub-genre creation and Yehay to making/listening to music you like

8 + 2 = 10
17-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah but you're trying to dictate my thinking so just let free be free

8 + 2 = 10
17-02-2006, 05:18 PM
10: use this to fill up your knowledge

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html ;)

Thanks This was useful

MITA
17-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Sunil ripped the topik!

thisway only seemed like youre trying to tease ppl here. :coffee:

There are lot more exciting things to get excited about you know :eh:

yeah...I learned it my way!

Sunil
17-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Sunil most of the artist you mentioned are pretty 90's correct? Looking for more useful references like

Loop techno fits where?
Hardware where?

You know something like that would've been lot more helpful then listing best of 90's techno

Well you know, I wasn't really trying to be too helpful although with the list I gave you you should have had a bit to work with. It's only a small random list, but not exclusively "best of 90's techno" as you put it.

Anyway man, you're taking the piss here and being a bit of a pain in the hole. Take people's advice, and stop getting so hung up on sub-genres.

Davin
17-02-2006, 11:59 PM
I think your dead right with the whole "genre" thing..................... in my opinion, at the moment so many artists/dj's are producing and playing songs that are really uncharectaristic of that artist and the genre that he/she incorparates him/herself with!
the songs they would have first liked you to incorporate with their style initially with have and has changed, I'm all up for genre movement and change, but, in that the dj (you) finds a new genre to appeal to the larger audience and to broaden your knowledge............., however pointing out one genre, I do feel minimal (Mistress Barbara, Adam Beyer) is taking to strong a hold on the techno scene, to the point where I'm finding my usual techno/tech night's out boring......................note I play the odd minimal tune myself (Jeff Samuel, Sleeparchive), however its ruining a good night out, with its boring percussion and repetitive bass lines it's really beginning to get to me, even the tunes I like ...................I know Mark eg is all up for the non slaggin' of the genre but c'mon it's wreckin the head to the point where I want to give all 4/4 music a break.............opinions plz

Davin
18-02-2006, 09:26 AM
It takes a while to know all the characteristics that make up the sub genres. You just have to hear them on a regular basis. When I first got into electronic music everything was "techno" music. Now I realize a lot of the early stuff I was listening to wasn't techno at all, but breaks and drum 'n' bass. It takes spending a lot of time online listening to sound bytes at numerous websites, hangin' out with other DJ's, going to shows, etc.

Not a truer word spoken!!! :thumbsup:

8 + 2 = 10
20-02-2006, 04:35 PM

Loop techno fits where?
Hardware where?

Well you know, I wasn't really trying to be too helpful although with the list I gave you you should have had a bit to work with. It's only a small random list, but not exclusively "best of 90's techno" as you put it.

Anyway man, you're taking the piss here and being a bit of a pain in the hole. Take people's advice, and stop getting so hung up on sub-genres.

I am not, why don't you stop telling me what to do. Its a pretty pathetic thing to do over the net. What gives you the right you know?

I just wanted bit of information ok? Relax . Stop taking yourself seriously and make sure you get a sense of humour while your at it. You bit mega-hard though fella :lol:

Sunil
20-02-2006, 06:06 PM
I just wanted bit of information ok? Relax . Stop taking yourself seriously and make sure you get a sense of humour while your at it. You bit mega-hard though fella :lol:

And did you find out this information?

I replied originally when I was in a grumpy Monday mood, so maybe that had something to do with my reaction there... but really, I still think you're being difficult.

8 + 2 = 10
20-02-2006, 06:41 PM
:bash: :bash: :bash: Hope visual images do the trick.

Jay Pace
20-02-2006, 07:09 PM
C'mon boys, nowt to be gained here...

Sunil
20-02-2006, 11:47 PM
C'mon boys, nowt to be gained here...

But I think it was just about finished anyway, cheers.

Anyway, I had a look around and this link might be useful to you 8 + 2 = 10.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno_music

21-02-2006, 05:06 AM

Why?

I think someone should make a "Hard Techno vs. Schranz" and a "What is Schranz?" FAQ for noobs to the style like myself.

The Overfiend
21-02-2006, 09:15 AM
I think you're being facetious.

jon connor
21-02-2006, 03:39 PM
well here we go again heheheheh my genre is superman :lol: i mean super jonny bravo tek! :lol: its all bollox supercallerfragilistic spoon full of sugar and a couple of extisy bull snide its all techno :cheese:

278d7e64a374de26f==