PDA

View Full Version : pushin boundries

wenna
19-08-2003, 12:14 AM
which labels/producers do ppl think are really taking the 303 to new levels at the moment? i don't like to sound miserable but i really can't think of any :cry:

i tend to stick to the ones i know and love when it comes to acid brain/smitten etc etc....

spiralx
19-08-2003, 12:29 AM
Know what you mean... it's been a while since I've heard anything that I'd consider to be acid and to be sounding fresh. The acid sound in general has evolved past the days of screaming 303 lines and it seems like the stuff I've been hearing recently that's still using it doesn't quite cut the mustard. Maybe it's just stuck in a rut at the moment, dunno.

wenna
19-08-2003, 12:39 AM
yeah man! how many different things can be done with the 303??

i think that some producers are making the 303 a little more subtle in their tracks lately to make a change and avoid the ol' plain screaming acid type of track.

i would say the best acid track i've heard in a while is probably

(i realise it isn't strictly acidtechno-but)

virtualacid on suntec, love the sample-acid is nothing new-love the trance like breakdown 8)

anx
19-08-2003, 03:26 AM
routemaster
routemaster
routemaster

i love what lori can do with his devilfish303.

im excited to hear #50

Si the Sigh
19-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Lawrie Immersion is a bit special with the trusty 303 isnt he! Some screaming acid monsters and some funky ass subtle as you like tracks. Quality producer, and quality label. Still think the best label to use 303's was Smitten. What do you think?

spiralx
19-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Nah, Smitten (apart from a few choice tracks) was never my favourite label - and all of the tracks sounded a bit too samey for me. Routemaster was (and is) definitely the best of the older-style labels simply because it moved with the times - the stuff coming out on it now does sound different from when it started.

wenna
19-08-2003, 12:41 PM
i think brain has to be it for me!! (not long b4 that label popped up!) :P

dangerous to remain is prob an old time classic! 8)

Si the Sigh
19-08-2003, 01:09 PM
For the "new skool 303" based acid techno, why not check out the WahWah & Skankadelic Sounds labels? Keeping it nice and 303 for ya! :thumbs up:

davethedrummer
19-08-2003, 06:39 PM
i think lenk did a good job on the recent drumcode
and what about old woody mcbride?

djfase
19-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Must say ive always liked cluster and SUF. Nothing new but always done the trick

Anonymous
20-08-2003, 03:06 AM
which labels/producers do ppl think are really taking the 303 to new levels at the moment? i don't like to sound miserable but i really can't think of any :cry:

i tend to stick to the ones i know and love when it comes to acid brain/smitten etc etc....

harry choo choo's new one on subliminal is the best acid tune for years. proper uplifting vocal as well. the erick morillo mix is PHAT!! yeah!!!!! :D :? :shock:

Kangxi
29-08-2003, 10:11 PM
sorry amigos, just had to throw my two cents in on this topic:

at the risk of sounding simple, there will always be a call for a tune that has that special something that you can't quite get your head round. is it production values? is it a rythmic hook? kick drum? whatever it may be on that new track you're lovin' on, its not really a question of "303: yes/no", is it mates? If you heard the best acid track you had ever laid ears on, let's say, NEWLABEL 001, it might not make you want to go out and start spinning full on acid sets again, but you might toss it in the box "just in case" the urge hit you somewhere in a set. a choon is a choon, acid or no.

IMHO any producer or labe lthat is even thinking about putting out an acid track needs to listen very carefully to all the back catalogues and ask themselves "am I contributing to what's been done here already or simply tossing mindless wankery out into the market?" Punters are not stupid, they know when a track sounds like its been punched out in 15 minutes with a Betty Crocker cookie cutter. So please, don't bother with new acid unless its a blinder, a honest-to-god addition to the genre.

As much as I love Stay Up I feel that some of this applies to them. With as much as they have done for the whole scene I don't think anyone would be chapped if they just put out a new track every other month or so as long as those tracks were all stone-solid. Seems the label has been adrift for the past 15 or so releases, struggling a bit with the very problems stated above in this thread. That's to be expected atter such a long reign, but would hate for the label to have its spectacular past sullied at this point. Any SUF bod wants to tell me off here I will completely understand. Proper respect to all of you.

So maybe its not really about pushing Roland boundaries at this point in time: perhaps all has been said in the realm of acid that needs be said. But there's always room left for a great piece of music. No harm in trying to make it if that's your fancy.

MARKEG
29-08-2003, 10:55 PM
total respect.. amazing piece.

see totally what you're saying.

so where is the future of the 303?

what can now me done that hasn't been done?

MARKEG
29-08-2003, 10:57 PM
in fact this needs a new topic (as well as this)

278d7e64a374de26f==