PDA

View Full Version : Producing Techno

Louis Theroux
13-02-2006, 10:38 PM
I am getting bored with decks, final scratch etc & was looking at making my own bassline, effects even possible tracks.

As I don't have a clue about software I was hoping people in here could point me in the right direction, remembering I have no technical, music knowledge whatsoever. I am a quick learner however & very keen.

Thanks

Barely Human
13-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Go and download FL Studio, then come back in a week when you have had a play and need some questions answering ;)

Thats your best bet of first getting to grips with it all.

rounser
14-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Reason is what I recommend (www.propellerheads.se). It's advantage for learning is that it's a closed environment, so you only learn the basic building block components of production (which is enough to grapple with for a long time). As another bonus of it being closed, you can deconstruct project files from:
www.reasonstation.net
...and see how they tick. No other host can offer this, as far as I know.

Everyone's going to recommend what they learnt on, or what they're using now, but as a learning tool I think reason has a significant advantage over VST hosts because it's limited. That means you can learn directly from other people's project files, and it won't drown you in the maze of options and gimmickry that plugins offer.

RDR
14-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Good tip, reason is the choice of many schools of music tech, including my classroom.

The help file is good and everything is set out for you on screen in a fairly simple way. Reason is probably your best bet.

FL studio is good, but not very transparent - and the help files are awful.

rhythmtech
14-02-2006, 11:14 AM
yup i'd go with reason. i only use it now and again in re-wire mode and in standalone for throwing the odd beat together but as a learning tool its second to none.

FIK
14-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Like said above. There is no better program to learn the basics of producing than Reason. Combine it with a cheap usb-controller and a decent soundcard and your off....

Louis Theroux
14-02-2006, 08:20 PM
thats me bought a copy of Reason on your recommendations.

no doubt I will be back with more questions once I get started.

thank you so far.

278d7e64a374de26f==