PDA

View Full Version : Imac Intel Chip

anx
14-02-2006, 06:36 PM
I am getting a mac this weekend, can anyone say anything about the new intel chip macs? will the regular software work on them fine?

i know that photoshop and illustrator need some kind of emulator to run them, which doesnt tickle my fancy at all....would stuff like ableton need that too?

should i just get a regular G5, then maybe sell it down the road when the intel macs are not as new?

tekara
14-02-2006, 06:42 PM
as of right now, not many programs are updated yet.....but eventually with time, this problem should be solved. Im actually going to be making the switch from PC to Mac sometime this week. Thinking of getting a G5, but not sure if i should hold off until they replace all G5 chips with the new chip as well....in the same boat! good luck!

RDR
14-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Ableton are in beta stage for 5.2 which is intel compatible.

findthesolution
14-02-2006, 07:48 PM
i was faced with the challenge of recently deciding on a new imac too.

I ended up going with the G5, only because I couldn't wait a few MONTHS to get creative again.

I can honestly say that this machine takes everything I can throw at it, for now at least.

If you can wait...wait. It'll be worth it in the long run. Just remember that some top notch artists make top notch tracks on not-so-top notch gear.

My friend Jon Pegnato has a stack of releases out on many labels, inlcuding his own, and his tracks have been featured on DJ Dan's latest mix compilation. He's on a Powermac G4 still.

It aint about what you have, its how you use it. Good luck man.

fresh_an_funky_design
15-02-2006, 12:57 PM
yeh i use a g4 powerbook, an it copes fine in logic 7, you have to use the freeze function when u get around the 10 midi tracks mark but other than that its great.

i personally would of got an intel 1 as there suppost to be rapid but it could be annoying having to wait a while for all ure software to be compatible, although logic 7.2 is intel compatable

anx
16-02-2006, 05:15 PM
i hear that you can run certain programs through an emulator for the time being....

christian wagner
02-03-2006, 09:14 PM
yeh i use a g4 powerbook, an it copes fine in logic 7, you have to use the freeze function when u get around the 10 midi tracks mark but other than that its greate

I got a ibook with logic pro and it handles loadsa midi tracks and audio - u sure thats al yours handles? dont seem right to me :S

findthesolution
02-03-2006, 09:57 PM
I bought an iBook G4 in august, and it handled everything i could throw at it.

The ONLY thing it really was challenged by was Reaktor 5, but is that really a surprise?

Now that I have the iMac as my main comp, the iBook only runs Live 4.0.4 for gigging, if I can ever get around to finishing enough tracks to gig with. lol.

TechMouse
03-03-2006, 12:15 PM
ArsTechnica review of Intel Mac Lappy (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbookpro.ars)

man_d
03-03-2006, 12:27 PM
The Intel MacMinis were announced earlier this week.

Personally I'd go for that over the iMac.

danielmarshall
04-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Ah the old Mac story... Hardly ever any backwards compatibility means users are forced into buying the latest products, not to mention OS. I don't hate Macs, don't get me wrong, but if you're gonna use one you're going to have to continue to spend buckets of money on it.

278d7e64a374de26f==