PDA

View Full Version : Evil G - It Stings Because (in progress)

Evil G
15-02-2006, 01:21 AM
I've been wrapped up in this for a while and i think i need to take a break from it before coming back to finish it.

Here's what I've got so far:

http://members.shaw.ca/evil_g/mp3/evilg-it_stings_because.mp3

Any feedback welcome.

G

dirty_bass
15-02-2006, 06:35 PM
No comments?
This is really cool.

That kick drum is booming a bit too much, sounds like it would do with a slight cut at around 80hz, I could be wrong, but it`s somewhere round there.
Maybe give the kick a little more top end click to cut through the mix more, rather than boosting the bass.
Nice little melodies in there. Liking that.
I thought I was in for a go nowhere minimal journey after a while, but then it gets really energetic after the break.
Lovely.

Production is messy overall for this type of sound, which requires super tightness to carry it off.
I think maybe taking a good look into the bottom end and the interaction between the kick and the bass will help a hell of a lot.

Great tune, stands out from the usual usual we get here.

holotropik
16-02-2006, 05:48 AM
holy sheet!!
This is a great track dude. I reckon the only thing letting this track down is the production tweakness. If you get that right you have got yourself a very cool track. The bottom end freqs are the problem here.
To my ears you have the same problem that I do....not being able to get the mastering/production sounding tight enough to be top quality. I wish I knew how to do this part better.

Keep trying and dont give up on this track, I love it ;)

Glen.

Evil G
16-02-2006, 06:24 AM
cheers fellas. :blush:

i defo want to get this one dialed. unless i jinx myself, i'm supposed to play a reasonably large festival this summer, on a HUGE rig in a river valley, and i'm wanting to open my set with this. i'm hoping that people a mile away will be able to tell that the previous dj is definitely finished and something new is happening. :) i just need to take a few days away from it so i can be objective. will certainly take your comments on board.

thanks

Evil G
16-02-2006, 06:34 AM
oh ya, and when it' finished i'll update the link with the full title "it stings because it wont surrender".

rhythmtech
16-02-2006, 09:10 AM
overall, not my cuppa tea really but the "musicbox" sound in the first half is very very nice and haunting and i agree with db - the second half of the track is nice and differant. keep it up!

ReakZ
16-02-2006, 01:59 PM
i like background well kick is in lack of some compressing i think or maybe its just too deep anywayz keep it up :techno:

Mindful
16-02-2006, 02:31 PM
sweet as **** this dude.
moody as erm ....moody stuff.
realy like how it starts and progresses.
Production wise I would echo what the guys have said above regarding the bottom end the kick needing a bit more top end and overall production could be tighter.

Mindful
16-02-2006, 02:32 PM
oh good on yer

xfive
16-02-2006, 09:14 PM
This is nicely different. I'd say fix the few minor issues and you'll have a solid set opener ;)

BloodStar
18-02-2006, 10:35 AM
nice track.. very moody and atmosferic.. feel the nice depth in this one. like all the little synth melodis and riffs,. it works here very good.. production part of thing need some work,. all important was written above,i think.. loooking forward to the next version.-.

Evil G
15-03-2006, 07:39 AM
cleaned this up a bit and made some minor changes. still need to do edits, but i'll do them when it comes time to chop it up and load it into the sampler for the livepa.

does it sound better now?

Evil G - It Stings Because It Wont Surrender (http://members.shaw.ca/evil_g/mp3/evilg_stings2.mp3)

dirty_bass
17-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Much better, bottom end is tighter.
I still think the kick could be tighter and clearer in the mix though.
The section after the break seems a little cluttered now.
The big grating sound seems to cover everything up.
And again, the kick is almost totally lost.
Still lovin this tune, but the 2nd section needs to be tightened up.

good stuff, really interesting and very emotional.

Evil G
17-03-2006, 12:03 PM
cheers for the feedback.

i noticed after it was up that the kick was vanishing in the 2nd half. screwed up the compression with the bass, i think. will post up another version soon.

Mindful
17-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Sorry man cant realy comment on production at the mo due to poo headphones(which is what you were prob after)
Anyway it sounds good on these phones.
Love the intro and break, realy edgy and setting off some sort of response in me somewhere.
I like this mate.
Ill listen later at home.

Evil G
25-03-2006, 02:26 AM
cleaned this up a bit more.

the click at the start is from the stupid mp3 encoder.

Evil G - It Stings Because It Wont Surrender - Mix 3 (http://members.shaw.ca/evil_g/mp3/evilg_stings3.mp3)

rhythmtech
25-03-2006, 03:11 AM
sounds sooo sweet now. the kick is phat as an american kid with a mcdonalds fixation.. coming along very nicely... was just listenin to orbital "the box" yesterday. this has that same creepy menace to it. very very interesting and very differant. second time its made me take notice. good stuff.

xfive
25-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Nice one dude, very big sounding. Reverb sounds good.
Everything is nicely seperated and full.
I definitely like the vibe of it too.. sorta dark and progressive but not in a bad way.

Well done :clap:

Evil G
26-03-2006, 04:39 AM
cheers lads. i listened to that orbital track. i think their xylophone sounds a million times better than mine, but thanks for the compliment. :)

realistically how far is this from being releasable as a B side?

anx
26-03-2006, 05:00 PM
yea G! just listened to the latest version, your music is sounding really tight, i could totally see this pressed
totally didnt expect it to take off like that after the break, i loved where it went...
this would go perfect for a early saturday morning slot at the festival i cant wait to hear it all googly eyed and eared

stjohn
27-03-2006, 06:35 PM
ah downloaded the 1st mix.... which took ages on my internet :| ill get the 2nd later.

the 1st sound cool tho
really nice sounds all the way, and the groove works great. ill have a listen to the 2nd one on my monitors and let ye know :)

DrewDavid
04-04-2006, 11:42 PM
pretty cool... I'd describe it as Vince Watson meets Synewave

Evil G
04-04-2006, 11:45 PM
pretty cool... I'd describe it as Vince Watson meets Synewave

thanks meng. did i meet you when i played in vancouver in sept? i'm way better with faces than names, unfortunately.

DrewDavid
10-04-2006, 07:32 PM
don't think so... that was the Listening Room gig right? You could almost call me a recluse, but I do make it out for the occasional event.

Honeey
15-04-2006, 02:43 AM
Hey G very nice you are getting so good! I love in intricacy of this and the dark foreboding feel throughout :) smooth.

Decimal
15-04-2006, 04:17 PM
the xylophone sounds great, man. that kind of thing is easy to overdo, you handeled it great.

i agree with others that say it needs some tighting up and there.

nice one, after the break, btw. ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==