PDA

View Full Version : McMahon on Liverpool

Will
17-02-2006, 12:33 AM
SINGAPORE: Former Liverpool and England star Steve McMahon, a member of the last Anfield team to lift the league title, says the current side is not capable of winning the Premiership this year or next year.

"I don’t think Liverpool will win it next season, no," the midfield maestro, who scored 50 goals for The Reds, told AFP.

"It goes in cycles — Liverpool were the Seventies and early Eighties, Manchester United were the Nineties and now it seems to be the turn of Chelsea.

It will turn again at some stage but I don’t when." McMahon, in Singapore as a pundit for broadcaster ESPN, said Liverpool, who are currently 15 points adrift of Chelsea in third, were a good team but lacked quality.

"Certainly, Liverpool are a well-capable and well organised unit at the moment. But whether they can get the championship back is the big question," he said.

"They need more quality. They rely on Steve Gerrard a lot. But then a lot of teams rely on their best players.

"I’d like to see Chelsea without Frank Lampard and John Terry, then I think Chelsea, even though they have a good squad, would be a far, far weaker team." McMahon won three league crowns with Liverpool, including the club’s last one in 1990.

While he doesn’t see a title for Liverpool in the near future, he has high hopes for Reading, who look certain to be promoted to the Premiership this year.

They are currently 12 points clear of second-placed Sheffield United and 21 points in front of Leeds in third.

"Reading have the stadium, the supporters, they’re well organised and equipped to do well," said McMahon, who also played for Everton, Aston Villa and Manchester City before switching to management.

"Their backer is no mug, he’s ploughed a lot of money in. Chairman are often criticised. A lot of them, yes, are egotistic, but they still put their money where their mouth is." — AFP

278d7e64a374de26f==