PDA

View Full Version : Foam Tiles

module
19-02-2006, 03:07 PM
have about 6 which are 1 inch thick, and 15 x 15 inch. also have some smaller thicker pieces.

are these worthwhile in a small room about 15 foot x 18 foot ?

moving home & was thinking of trying these out to dampen the sound in corners.

i know i can google for details. jus wondering if anyone here recomends it.

messyfuture
19-02-2006, 05:10 PM
i got some a while back 6 of them in total too, i thought they made a difference, the thicker bits might be usefull as bass traps in the corners of the room
give it a go and see how it sounds, the glue stuff that you get for them is great cause they can be peeled off and repostioned really easy

herman
19-02-2006, 06:17 PM
There is a big article in this month's sound on sound about this that is well worth checking out.

module
19-02-2006, 07:05 PM
good stuff ppl. cheers

glue that peels sounds ace. where u get that MF ?

messyfuture
19-02-2006, 08:01 PM
mate got me the glue i'll ask him where he got it

module
19-02-2006, 08:05 PM
cheers man

the tiles i have arent speciffically for noise absorption, there from old flight cases, but i think if applied to the right part of the room, they might help dampen reflections.

MARKEG
19-02-2006, 08:23 PM
wow this is really high priority issue for me at the mo. i bought bass traps about 6 months ago from auralex and OMG what a difference. but because my room is small the bass is hard to get right sat in the mix position. i was about to buy the 4 inch think studio foam from auralex but i couldnt believe it when last week i picked up sound on sound. what an amazing article. the best i have ever read on the subject (and believe me, i've read alot!!!)

right now i am in process of constructing a 6 inch deep box for the back wall with a barrier mat (that cost me 40 quid off the net) that will have rockwool slab on the front, as per the instructions from the article. the author is confident that this is soooo much better than foam for killing bass reflections. after reading the article and applying his principles, i am 100% this is gonna work. i will keep you posted.

as for side reflections, the article says 4 inch thick rockwool slab with 4 inches of air behind it, then the wall. and place it at a point where if you pretend you have a mirror, you would be able to see the speakers from the mix position.

man this article really rules. you MUST get it. you willl know exactly where to put your tiles.

:)

module
19-02-2006, 11:31 PM
righty then.. Easons tomoro morning for SOS it is

cheers peeps. i know ya can google these things, but sometimes wading thru the guff can be so easily avoided when a few decent chaps can speak to ya in laymens terms

Basil Rush
21-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Best thing I ever did was put a four foot square above my head on the ceiling.

278d7e64a374de26f==