PDA

View Full Version : Good REX and drum machine VSTIs

djTequila
20-08-2003, 10:12 AM
I'm trying to remove Reason as much as possible from my working setup, but I'm hung up on two features which I find far too handy...

I need a VST that can play REX loops, accept/write out MIDI data based on slice positioning, etc. Or even a loop based device which can take samples and split 'em up, Re:Cycle style... Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know of a sampler/sample based drum machine which, outside of a file box, lets you flick through a directory of samples while a loop is playing... And change samples live, so you can hear how they sound in the loop?

Obviously something along the lines of a Matrix would be nice too... How does everyone else handle their step sequencing/phrase based synthesis in Logic and Cubase?

T*

miromiric.
20-08-2003, 10:28 AM
dunno for rex machine but best soft drummachinei ve used is redrum.
for stepsequencing use stepsequencer in cubases s midi effects. its realtivly ok, matrix is better, but this has some features included that matrix doesnt posses.

djTequila
20-08-2003, 10:33 AM
dunno for rex machine but best soft drummachinei ve used is redrum.
for stepsequencing use stepsequencer in cubases s midi effects. its realtivly ok, matrix is better, but this has some features included that matrix doesnt posses.

Redrum... Yeah, that's the machine I'm trying to replace! I don't like the fact that I have to run Reason and Rewire just to use this device in Cubase... Or the sound that Reason gets when you layer samples. Or the fact that in Logic it's just a pain in the arse to set anything up.

You've managed to get good use out of the step sequencer in Cubase? I couldn't deal with it. I might give it another try though... Can it send MIDI controller data based on curve information?

T*

miromiric.
20-08-2003, 10:42 AM
didnt try that one sorry.
i use stepsequencer all the time, its really easy and intuitive in programming rhythms and synths. give it a proper look will ya

DJZeMig_L
20-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Phatmatik Pro.

Z

The Divide
20-08-2003, 06:17 PM
I too am trying to rid myself or Reason for a drum machine/sampler, I dont use the Rex player much at all. You could drag the Rex files direct into SX and quantize that way, not as good as using midi notes, but its worth knowing.

Does'nt stylus act as a rex player? I wouldnt know I dont have it.

I was going to install Battery as the drum machine.

I would have to say fruity loops VSTI, yet for some ****ed up reaon it makes odd digital nioses when ran as a VSTI on mine, I normal have to shorten the volume envelopes.

I want a realy good Drum machine for Reactor, same parameters as on Reaon, that would be realy good esp for soundquality.

Theres one that comes free with Reactor 4 but its a lil bit awkward. I miss how you can flip the sample with the up and down buttons in reason. Its realy handy.

professor
20-08-2003, 08:06 PM
If you use logic, then the exs24 mkII is really good. Not sure exactly what the system requirements sare though.

It's just a sampler, but combined with the matrix window in logic makes for a good drum machine. You can load a ton o' drum samples and tune them to particular keys on keyboard and sequence that way.

Anyways, I like it and it replaced the redrum and both samplers from reason.

professor
20-08-2003, 08:08 PM
AND...the exs24 mk II will play REX2 files as well as many other formats

djTequila
21-08-2003, 09:37 AM
AND...the exs24 mk II will play REX2 files as well as many other formats

Oh really? Wicked! Just got hold of that... How does it do it? Does it split them across the keyboard?

How is positional information handled?

T*

professor
22-08-2003, 02:27 PM
djTequila

not sure how exs handles the REX2 files. I only just recently have started using it and have not explored much past the initial loading and tweaking stages.

I know that the exs will play rex files in their intirety, and it also has a wave editor that allows you to select only certain portions of the loop or rex file. Of course this is probably just the surface of the exs.

Check osxaudio.com. That's a good place to learn more about Logic and other logic related software. Also look at emagic's web site.

sorry i'm not more help.

djTequila
22-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Actually this raises another issue... Time for another thread!

T*

278d7e64a374de26f==