PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Alienware / other laptops?

TheRev
21-02-2006, 04:44 AM
Looking at their Area 51m - 5500 laptop.

Trying to see if anyone has used this for music, figure a machine good for gaming will work good for audio. Anyone have any experience?

I hear the fan runs real loud, wondering if that'll cause problems.

Plan on hooking it up to an RME Mutliface II.

Outside of them any other laptop manufactuers reccomended?

Looking to get a Pentium M 2.0 Ghz...

Thanks for any help!

dan the acid man
21-02-2006, 12:57 PM
don't bother with alienware, you'll be paying alot extra for a graphics card you don't need, plus they're pretty expensive to start with.

have a look at other makes such as toshiba, sony or even acer

rhythmtech
21-02-2006, 01:12 PM
exactly - lovely lookin machine but very overpriced...

have a look at dell. you can custom build on the site. i started out with an inspirion 9300 as a base model and built from there. ended up with a seriously high spec machine for under €2000

TheRev
22-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Yeh been looking at Dell's. The customization I'm looking for actually ends up above the Alienware in some cases.

Originally I was shooting for something with these specs:

15.1 Inches
Pentium M 2.0 GHz Processor
1 GB RAM
100 GB 7200 RPM Drive

But now I'm wondering if I should spring for the 17" or perhaps even one of the Dual-Core processors.

Found an Acer for a good price with everything I want sans the HD, though I've heard some nasty things about SATA drives, so I'm thinking external Firewire is the way to go anyway. Only thing that makes me hesitant is its only got a 1 year warranty. Would hate for my shit to break 18 months down the line and I'm SCREWED.

Any thoughts on the Dual Core processors?

dan the acid man
22-02-2006, 03:38 PM
sata drives are fine, what have you heard about them ?

TheRev
23-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Read something somewhere in some forum about the error correction being structured in a way that could cause some serious lag time were there ever to be an error on the drive.

Unfortunately it was in a mad dash to absob as much info about the laptop market as possible and I didn't save the link.

Wound up getting a pretty pimped out Dell Inspiron 6000

2 GHz Pentium M
15.4" Screen
1 GB RAM (Single DIMM - so getting that extra 1 GB more wont' be so hard)
60GB 7200 RPM drive

Next stop : RME Mutliface II

etnarama
24-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Alienware is a no no.... i know a few guys with probs... they even created a anti alienware website... ehehhe
My advise is built it yourself, cheaper and better. Satas are very good, from 7200rpm upwards....you can have an internal with about 100g and then buy an external usb 250 G for only £80/90...... Check morgan computers on google fo cheap pc's. These arranged DAW's usually are too overpriced and usually in our style we dont need a very quiet pc....... everything is done internally!!!!

dan the acid man
24-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Alienware is a no no.... i know a few guys with probs... they even created a anti alienware website... ehehhe
My advise is built it yourself, cheaper and better. Satas are very good, from 7200rpm upwards....you can have an internal with about 100g and then buy an external usb 250 G for only £80/90...... Check morgan computers on google fo cheap pc's. These arranged DAW's usually are too overpriced and usually in our style we dont need a very quiet pc....... everything is done internally!!!!

he was after a laptop.

with the dell, if you do upgrade the memory, make sure you know which type of memory to buy, as dells used to be a bit tempremental with some components

etnarama
25-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Sorry i thought you were after a desktop.
There are loads of websites were you put the specs of your laptop and it tells ya which one to buy, its easy to install more ram and HD in a laptop (its like playing LEGO).... But if its in the warranty dont touch it, i bought a new pc and it started crashing if i had upgraded they wouldn't allow me to return it (keep this in mind) and check the morgan computers site (very cheap stuff)

Jay Pace
25-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Don't go dell!

They source their components as cheaply as possible. And you are forced to buy "dell" upgrades most of the time if you want to expand.
Dell make computers for "home users" and office workers, computers that are essentially disposable for users that don't demand high performance.
You can get souped up one's but, you would be better off going elsewhere.

If you want an audio pc check out carillion - they make computers specifically for the purpose.
www.carillondirect.com

force
25-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Don't go dell! :shock:

Don't go saying that , just as i've bought a bloody Inspiron 6000 :eh:

Jay Pace
25-02-2006, 02:52 PM
hehe you'll be fine I'm sure mate.
Dell is just a dirty word around my office. Bought on mass their problems become more apparent.

Individually I think they probably perform ok - and you'll probably want to upgrade in a few years anyway so it will serve you well until then...

tocsin
02-03-2006, 08:17 PM
I've only had one major problem with my Dell. And that is a nasty ****ing groundloop with various USB soundcards due to the fact that the shielding on the Dell (and the soundcards) is absolute shit. It was particularly mean with Final Scratch. If you hit that problem, Gene, buy an ungrounded two-prong adaptor for your machine. This isolates the ground loop for when you play out and, so long as the building and your circuit isn't directly struck by lightning, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Jay Pace
02-03-2006, 08:21 PM
so long as the building and your circuit isn't directly struck by lightning, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Ah, the ever present spectre of lightning attack during dj sets

"The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire...."

:dance:

TheRev
02-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Don't go dell! :shock:

Don't go saying that , just as i've bought a bloody Inspiron 6000 :eh:

Seriously.....you're a bit late mate!

Already signed sealed and delivered. Don't think the ground loop should present a problem as I'm running my audio off the RME Mutliface II which runs via Cardbus.

I'm a bit pissed tho because one of the buttons on the little touchpad seems to either have a hair trigger or a short because shit gets ranodmly clicked.... Not too cool.

tocsin
03-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Well, if you do get a hum problem when the machine is plugged in, just know it's a cheap quick fix by getting one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adaptors at Radio Shack. I dunno if it will occur through the cardbus or not. Generally, it really shouldn't happen to any soundcard with it's own power source, particularly if the shielding is done right. But, that seems to be somehtng that Dell neglected. Only prob I've had with the Dell.

tocsin
03-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Oh, and if you're going to be using Live, just invest in a trackball. It makes shit a lot easier in my opinion.

Miromiric
03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
i am using an IBM r50e and i never had a single problem with it. it`s a very robust piece of technology.

Miromiric
03-03-2006, 01:36 PM
oh, you already bought one.

278d7e64a374de26f==