PDA

View Full Version : Ronaldo interview from before the Arsenal game

Will
23-02-2006, 12:13 AM
The Real Madrid website is making for interesting reading, can't imagine them asking some of these questions in this country and they had some pretty comprehensive stuff on Arsenal too, including Beckham's views on all our first team players...

Ronaldo: “We need the positive atmosphere we had against Zaragoza”
Ronaldo is more motivated than ever as he returns to the Champions League. The Arsenal match will be his first of the tournament this season. He has dreamed about scoring many goals but he knows victory is only achieved as a team. “It's not a match between Ronaldo and Henry, but a duel between two greats, Madrid and Arsenal,” he stated in today's press conference.

The last time you played against an English team, which happened to be Manchester, you had an incredible game.
I hope to play as well against Arsenal as I did against Manchester, but what's more important is that the team wins by putting on a good performance.

Are you the same player now as you were back then?
I think so but I'm coming off a patch of injuries and I've missed three months. I've started to play again and I've had a good string of matches. I feel the same and I have the same desire to score lots of goals and play well.

Has your style of play changed under López Caro? Has this affected you personally?
I feel comfortable with the coach. He's changed the style of play and it's been for the better. We're achieving good results. The fans are also pleased with our performance. I've played every tactical scheme in the world and have never had a problem adapting. The goals will come. In 16 League matches I've scored 10 goals and I wasn't in the best form because of injuries. We'll see what the statistics are at the end of the season.

Are you worried about your on-pitch performance?
No. I know perfectly well what I'm worth for the squad and what my potential is. I feel physically fit at the moment, after having had problems in this department for quite some time now. I will be back at scoring regularly, like I did against Zaragoza. What's most important is that the team wins, whether the goals are scored by Robinho, Zidane, or myself.

Do you feel you're overweight or that you're not in good form?
I have been overweight on very few occasions during my career. I know this and the doctors second this opinion. I feel perfectly alright with my present weight. It's the weight I've had for a long time, so there's really no problem there. The team is winning displaying good football, I am back at scoring and everything is just going to keep improving.

This year, Real Madrid has two players for each position. The only player without a replacement is you. Are you conscious that team's success at the end of the season depends on your scoring abilities?
I know how important I am for the team and what I am capable of contributing. I will try to do my work well.

You have a chance to prove that you're in top form against Arsenal.
I have no need to prove anything to anyone. I am 29 years old and have been playing for fifteen years. I have achieved almost everything there is to achieve during my career. What I do want is a great night with my team, to score goals and to make it to the final of the Champions League, which is just about the only trophy I have not won. It's not a match between Ronaldo and Henry, but a duel between two greats, Madrid and Arsenal.

What are your thoughts on Henry?
He's a great player, anopther one who has nothing to prove to anyone. He has scored a great many goals, but I would underline his speed: it's almost impossible to stop him when he's in control of the ball. I think he's one of the best forwards worldwide.

You have always said that the fans at the Bernabéu are like a hard-to-please girlfriend. Is the match against Arsenal a good moment to make her happy?
I have never had any problems. I have never understood the Bernabéu fans, which are not the same people who show me their affection and support in the streets. I have never felt at home; they have never treated me with affection and care. Still, it's not right to focus on my relationship with the home supporters; what we need is the fans to be behind the team as they did against Zaragoza in the Cup. We need that atmosphere. I am used to being whistled at in disapproval in this stadium. Nevertheless, I will keep on doing my best for the team's benefit.

Are you thinking of leaving Real Madrid?
I only want to focus on the League and the Champions League. I will gather my thoughts and reach a conclusion at the end of the season. But it's important, because I have never felt at ease where people weren't happy with me.

Do you know why the fans treat you like they do?
I have thought it over a thousand times and I have spoken with countless people about it, and I can't understand why people are so impatient with me. I get booed after a single mistake. So, I's like to know the reasons. Maybe that would allow me to change certain things. I play for the best team in the world and I would like to have the support of the fans.

The fans stood up and applauded you off the field the last time you visited England.
Suporters are different. Madrid fans are peculiar in the sense that sometimes they find the motivation to cheer you on for a turnaround that is almost impossible, but during an important League match, where we're drawing nil-nil, they get nervous and they stop supporting and helping you. What we need is for the fans to be behind us every minute of the game. So, both fan bases are different: I was appluaded there, but so was Ronaldinho at the Bernabéu, and he plays for Barça. You can't compare the fans.

Is there no way of turning the tables?
I would first have to know why, which would in turn allow me to improve. But first I need to understand, because I don't.

It certainly seems as if you had already decided. Maybe a little self-criticism would be called for.
I exercise that particular aspect every minute, but all alone. I am constantly seeking progress and evolution. That is the reason I have made it so far.

Does the President know that you could be thinking of leaving?
He knows exactly what I have just told you. I haven't exactly said that I'm thinking of leaving, so please don't put words in my mouth. I have just said that I will think the whole situation through at the end of the season. The President has known for a long time how sad I am in my relationship with the fans. He has supported me many times. Things haven't changed, but I will draw my conclusions calmly at the end of the season. Now I'm only thinking of winning the League and the Champions League, which are both there, within our reach.

Do you think that the Club has not done enough to explain to the fans the effort you made to come here?
I don't know. It's not up to me to judge those things. I only want to do my job, which is playing. We all have to perform our own personal self-criticism. I do mine every night and try to improve for future reference. I hope to have the increasing support of the Club.

Could this sort of declarations before tomorrow's crucial game seek a reaction in the fans and stir up fan support?
I will say it again: I will review and assess these last four years playing for Real Madrid at the end of the season. I have no clue what the fans could infer from this. Sincerely, I don't care and I am not expecting the fans to react.

If you decide to leave, would England be the best option?
If I decide to quit Real Madrid, all options will be tentative options.

Would that shut off all possibilities of playing elsewhere in Spain?
Let's not speak of me leaving, because it is not a fact. It will be someday, but I don't know when. I will have to leave or retire some day. You make decisions at the end of the season. So we'll see what happens then. I don't understand how part of the fans can treat me this way after all the effort I put in to come here. But now, it's time to put that behind me and focus on Arsenal. I will decide my future after the World Cup.

A word on Cassano. Some say he's fat.
He's an incredible, top player. He comes from a country where football is played totally different to Spain. I don't know what his ideal weight is; that's up to the medical staff. Cassano feels very comfortable and very well physically. We are all professional and perform many tests daily. Many people are mistaken when they ucha gente se equivoca en llamarle gordo sin preocuparse antes de tener los datos en la mano, saber cuál es su nivel de grasa, saber cuál es su calidad aeróbica.

What expectations do you have for the impending World Cup?
Brazil is only focused on defending its regining championship, so all we aim for is victory in the final. Anything short of that will place us under par versus the last World Cup. Japan is a very well organised team, and their coach adds the Brazilian touch. Our group is difficult, but going through to the next stage is completely in our hands. We know just enough about Australia and Croatia. We just need to focus on displaying our game, our football.

Totti got injured this weekend against Empoli. Could the fibular fracture he's suffered put his World Cup participation in danger.
I've seen it. I wish to send Totti my best wishes for a speedy recovery. He's a great player and a fantastic person. I would ask him not to get discouraged. I will try to contact him personally to send my support. Being injured is tough, specially when the injury is this serious.

Will
23-02-2006, 12:21 AM
One more, slightly irnonic, Woody interview! Seems a little arrogant in places!!

Woodgate: “We have to win. It's our obligation to the fans”
Jonathan Woodgate has played against Arsenal several times and he knows all too well what the team is capable of. Spanish sports dailies AS and Marca met with Woody to find out first hand what he thinks about Tueday's match and what tactics coach Juan Ramón López Caro will use to stop the Gunners. “Holding them to zero goals is what's most important although I'm sure we'll score in Highbury,” he stated to the two periodicals.

AS
How important is this match to you?
It's very important for me, for the Club, and for the fans. Winning this game is vital. It's going to be really hard but we're going to give it our all.

Are you excited?
It's a very special match for me. My whole family and a bunch of friends are here because an English Club is playing at the Bernabéu. It's a really important moment.

How do you stop players like Henry, Pires, and Reyes?
All three are great but everyone on Arsenal is a big time player. They've won the Premier League in years past. It's an incredible squad and they're all really fast. We'll have to be awake out there, especially with Ljungberg and Henry. Henry is the most dangerous in my opinion.

Arsenal has never really gotten far in the Champions League.
That's true but I don't know why they haven't. I hate to say it but this year they won't either. We'll be in the final. We have a great chance of winning it and we'll give it our best shot. There are several great teams left so we'll need a bit of luck as well.

How many phone calls have you received from England?
Loads. I've done several interviews and friends have called to see how we're doing. I need loads of tickets. I'm going to need even more for the match in London. More than 30 friends have asked for a ticket to Highbury. They all want to be at that game.

What are your thoughts on Wenger?
He's an incredible manager. He's got so many good ideas and has always put together and managed competitive squads.

How will the match be?
It will be action-packed from the very first minute. We're two of the top European teams. I hope we win. No, we have to win. It's our obligation to the fans. We have to keep them from scoring any goals although I know we'll score in Highbury. I'm sure of it.

Won't Highbury be an inferno?
Of course it will be. I know it. I've played there several times but we've got such great players that we can play anywhere. No stadium is harder than the next. Besides, I'll tell you a little secret: Arsenal's pitch is like a carpet. We'll play well there.

Right now you appear to be in really good form.
I'm playing really well because our training sessions are excellent. We train harder day after day and that makes us better. We have a great manager.

Have you gotten better under López Caro?
Of course! We've all noticed improvement with him. I feel great and I'm really happy here now. The whole squad has been in really good shape since his arrival and I hope he's with us next season. He's really good for us.

Although you feel so good right now, does getting reinjured ever cross your mind?
No! Never! I'm a very optimistic and positive person. I've gone through some difficult moments but everything is fine now. Honestly, I'm in perfect form.

What Real Madrid player can be the difference-maker in today's match?
Zidane can do a lot of harm with his style of play. He's in really good form right now. If you want to know what player may surprise us all, it's Cicinho. Wenger can control the match and he's very intelligent, but Cicinho could really unbalance them.

What do the absences of Campbell and Cole mean for Real Madrid? It's great for us. They have to change their style of play to accomodate the less experienced footballers.

Do you and Sergio Ramos understand one another?
Perfectly. We can glance at each other and know what the other is thinking although we do talk on the pitch as well.

MARCA
What does playing against a British Club mean to you?
It's important. It's a very special to me and I want to win. It's my first time facing a British team since I left England. My family is here and so are my friends. Loads of people want to see this match.

What do you think about Arsenal?
Arsenal is a really good team although it's going through a bad patch right now. It will be a great game with the players and manager it's got, but it'll be really hard.

Is Thierry Henry their most dangerous player?
Of course. Henry is really dangerous but they have so many other great players. A team isn't built around one person. They have several players that can cause danger.

How will you stop Henry?
It's hard but not impossible. He's only human. I'm not the only one that has to stop him. We are four defenders and we have the midfielders that help a lot as well. Thierry Henry is a fantastic player but we can keep him from scoring.

Is Arsenal good enough to win in the Bernabéu?
It's possible but I also think we can beat them. We ought to win the game but I'm sure they're thinking the same thing. It will be a hard-fought match and a great display of football.

How important is keeping Arsenal off the scoreboard?
I'd like to win the match 2-0 or 3-0. It's really hard to obtain results like these in Champions League play but we're going to try. It would be great if we could keep them from scoring, but the tie lasts for 180 minutes and will only be decided after playing in England.

Can Real Madrid score in Highbury?
I'm sure we'll score in Highbury. We have players capable of scoring there. I hope we can win this match and then win in London as well. It won't be easy and we'll have to work really hard to make it to the quarterfinals.

Will
23-02-2006, 01:04 AM
And here's what Becks said...

Beckham: “On Tuesday we need the fans more than ever”

David Beckham keeps proving how valuable he is to Real Madrid. Game after game he shows what he is capable of on the pitch and how happy he is playing for the Spanish Club. He has publicly stated that he would like to remain with the team for several more years. At a press conference on Sunday, the Englishman talked about Real Madrid's great form and how important it is that the fans continue giving their overwhelming support to the team. “On Tuesday we need the fans more than ever,” stated Beckham in reference to Tuesday's Champions League clash against Arsenal.

Physical Form
“In Saturday's match I got hit on my calf but I feel fine. We decided to do some light training and some pool work just in case, but I feel perfect.”
“We changed the dynamics of our training sessions and we have played better since then. The Zaragoza game raised the entire team's morale because we came together as a squad and felt the support from all our fans.”

“There's always room for improvement although I'm really happy with my recent performance. I feel that I'm in the best form of my career. The team gets along really well with the the coach. Things couldn't be more perfect.”

“When Real Madrid plays well, no other team is comparable. With such high expectations, playing poorly just complicates things.”

Arsenal
“I've been waiting three years to play in England. You travel a lot as a Real Madrid player and I've always wanted to go back there. I would have preferred playing Manchester but playing against Arsenal is also important to me since we'll be playing in London.”

“I'm only one yellow card away from suspension in Europe but I can't worry about injuries or cards. If I do get shown a card for making a tackle I would miss playing in London and that would be a big disappointment since I've really been looking forward to it.”

“We're in great form. If every player performs to his potential we can be devastating. Hopefully this will be the case against Arsenal. They lack confidence but so did we at one point. I'm sure playing against us will be a morale boost for them.”

“I don't feel at all vulnerable in respect to Tuesday's match.”

“All teams go through bad patches but playing a team like Madrid can really motivate. Arsenal is a fantastic team with a great manager. Just because they're not in top form we can't be overconfident. We have to give it our all and each one of us has to give 100%. The Bernabéu is a special place because it instills fear in our rivals.”

"Arsenal has some great players like Thierry Henry. If you give him space he can really make you pay."

The fans
“Things have changed. López Caro recently arrived and he's really helped raise morale. Winning helps of course, as does fan support.”

“The support we had against Zaragoza made for an incredible atmosphere. But against Arsenal on Tuesday we need the fans more than ever."

England National Team
“The best person for the coaching position is the one most qualified. I want the rumours of Svens possible leaving to end. We need to concentrate on the World Cup and there's still lots of work to be done. I don't know who the next manager will be should he leave. There are several capable men coaching in England but it wouldn't really matter if he was from another country either.”

“Perhaps it wasn't the best time for these rumours to start but things like this happen and we just have to keep focusing on the World Cup.”

Barcelona
“Barcelona is an amazing team because of the quality of players like Ronaldinho and Messi, but I think Real Madrid is playing better than they are right now.”

Contract Extension
“I like playing for this Club and in this League. I won't speak with the President for another week or two until after Arsenal. Of course I would like to continue here for several more years.”

Raúl and Woodgate
“Raúl is an incredible football player and I am really happy for him.”

“It's important for me to have an English teammate like Woody, especially now that he's returned to the teamsheet and is playing regularly.”

dee
23-02-2006, 01:09 AM
wat i have to read all that :lol:

Will
23-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Haha, well, you don't have to! I was gonna start a different thread for each, but thought that might be a bit excessive! The Ronaldo one's especially interesting though...

dee
23-02-2006, 01:34 AM
Haha, well, you don't have to! I was gonna start a different thread for each, but thought that might be a bit excessive! The Ronaldo one's especially interesting though...

na only messing mate, wats up with his weight then , i havn't seen him for a while , and i didnt watch the game!!!

has he been @ the cakes again!! :lol:

Esox Lucius
23-02-2006, 08:46 AM
cheers william, good interviews.

Will
24-02-2006, 02:26 AM
No probs. He looks like he could lose a few pounds, Ronaldo does, I hadn't realised Cassano had a weight problem though! Haven't seen him in a while...

278d7e64a374de26f==