PDA

View Full Version : The roots of our sound - interesting read

MARKEG
23-02-2006, 12:21 AM
http://www.jahsonic.com/Techno.html

I really enjoyed reading this.

MARKEG
23-02-2006, 12:29 AM
apparennt may might have loaned the equipt for house nation! i never knew this! :)

MARKEG
23-02-2006, 12:32 AM
love this: more ppl need to know this!!

A spate of techno-influenced releases by new producers in 1991-92 resulted in a rapid fragmentation and divergence of techno from the house genre. Many of these producers were based in the UK and the Netherlands, places where techno had gained a huge following and taken a crucial role in the development of the club and rave scenes. Many of these new tracks in the fledgling IDM, trance and hardcore/jungle genres took the music in more experimental and drug-influenced directions than techno's originators intended. Detroit and "pure" techno remained as a subgenre, however, championed by a new crop of Detroit-area producers like Carl Craig, Kenny Larkin, Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Drexciya and Robert Hood, plus certain musicians in the UK, Belgium and Germany.

SlavikSvensk
23-02-2006, 08:40 PM
nice link, mark! love the section on "black science fiction"

Miromiric
23-02-2006, 09:19 PM
juan atkins this, derrick may that... BORING

Miromiric
23-02-2006, 09:20 PM
and very narrowminded view on the whole thing in SOME aspects.

SlavikSvensk
23-02-2006, 09:24 PM

isn't everything written about techno? ;)

Miromiric
23-02-2006, 09:25 PM
;)

Davin
23-02-2006, 10:17 PM

I gotta disagree, I personally enjoyed the read despite the fact I have read many (and I mean many)a piece on "The Belville 3" there was still a few interesting links for sites, books, and, cd's.
Nice One Mark, and who knew the Music Institute used to just serve fruit juice :eyes:

SlavikSvensk
23-02-2006, 10:43 PM
and who knew the Music Institute used to just serve fruit juice :eyes:

i'd guess g did. he's so old school he probably provided the oranges and apples. ;)

MARKEG
23-02-2006, 11:14 PM
i don't get this detorit techno hate you have miro. this is v important music. we would not be here if it wasnt for that. :cool:

SlavikSvensk
23-02-2006, 11:24 PM
i'm very loyal to detroit and techno's roots there, but i see his point to a degree. detroit created techno, but techno's evolution over the years owes a lot to others as well: steve reich, the chicago pioneers, kraftwerk, EBM, industrial, etc.

eyeswithoutaface
23-02-2006, 11:58 PM
id say since the Detroit guys "gave birth" as it were to Techno, as a genre and, for alot of people, as a way of life, it's grown into something that's very detatched from the Detroit stuff, which is why alot of the darker heads tend to dismiss it all so easily. I can see the part Detroit played in bringing this music to the masses at it were and i still love and buy alot of detroit techno, but for people who are bang into the likes of Surgeon, Regis, or the more european harder stuff like Ogi, Carlos Rios, the Audio Assault crew etc etc, well i could certainly see why they would fail to see the direct link between the stuff they are into and Detroit, almost certainly the original detroit stuff from 20 years ago, alot of people who are doing techno at the moment where only just a twinkle in their daddie's eye's by then too remember haha

Everything is more electronic, more abbravise, harder, banging etc etc than the original music the likes of Atkins and May where producing, and i dare say they must be totally bewildered sometimes when they here stuff like schranz and see it being labelled techno, in fact im sure i read an interview with Derrick May about his apparent distaste for the alot of the current scene.... the word techno now means too many different things to too many different people to expect everyone to really want to grasp where everything "came from" as it where... other's will just want to stretch even further and get into Kraftwerk, and Afrika Bambatta, and Arthur Baker etc etc and we'd be here all day!

i personally enjoy reading about Detroit and all the heritage that comes along with it, ive read it all before but i still find it all very interesting i must say

MARKEG
24-02-2006, 12:04 AM
this is a really good post eyes.

but i just cant see why you wouldn't just give a nod to those who created it. i'm not saying miro love it. i'm saying mrio respect it. it's an important part of history man. :scratch:

dirty_bass
24-02-2006, 12:38 AM
It all depends on how much influence you think it`s had on you.
I mean, we can trace back influence and trace back influence, and trace back those who influenced atkins etc, and then say that because of THEM that atkins would never have made techno.
It can go on and on and on.
Personally for me, I don`t really care to much for detroit techno, or that route of influence. I`ve pulled more from the other side, the industrial side of things.
It doesn`t really bother me either way, my musical history is such , I only owe what I do to music itself.

For some however, they may feel the need to pin it all down to one spot, say, when Detroit dude X did so and so. But it`s not that simple.
You can cite examples say to the inventors of the X0X sequencer system, or whatever.

Whatever.
If you dig it, fine, if not, it doesn`t really matter.

Time to tear up the history books.

The Overfiend
24-02-2006, 01:10 AM
Miro just doesn't like that they were black men.
That whole envy thing.

MARKEG
24-02-2006, 01:17 AM
oh come on sam, it's not that.

we need miro on this. miro where are you!!!!

The Overfiend
24-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Pseudo Peni$ envy Mark.
I know he isn't racist!
Lol.

Sunil
24-02-2006, 01:43 AM

Well said.

I think it works two ways as well though. It's important I think that people have knowledge on the history of techno, but similarly it is the history/preciousness/stereotyping of techno and what it is 'meant to be' or 'sound like', that holds it back.

Most good techno these days isn't actually called techno.

The Overfiend
24-02-2006, 02:10 AM
Good stuff
Elaborate killa!

gunjack
24-02-2006, 02:38 AM
oh......god.....this......thread................hl ofshg ucewhibrfguiyt840528c9n4yrcfwue bg758y783bf2qc7yxr78fcaqxrge *end of seizure*

tocsin
24-02-2006, 03:27 AM
i don't get this detorit techno hate you have miro. this is v important music. we would not be here if it wasnt for that. :cool:

Honestly, Mark, it's that meme you just repeated above that makes me have hate for such articles. I really do get sick and tired of hearing "if not for Detroit, we wouldn't be here." Bullshit. The 4/4 bass beat and the "breakbeat" were something well known to mankind at this point. So, some people went out, bought some gear, and used it to reproduce just that. In the end, it was just a matter of time and exposure. Hell, I don't really like ANY of the detroit sound, the minimal sound and, to a substantial degree, the "techno" sound. I find it all incredibly boring and, while everyone loves to lump the Detroit guys in their as being responsible for all the techno music that came about later, most of the stuff I listen to is pulling its influences from elsewhere to a much more substantial degree.

So, nah, I'm never going to accept the "we wouldn't be here" meme. It deserves to be hated because it's a crock of shit. Sooner or later, someone was going to program a 4-on-the-floor beat or a break into a computer. In fact, people had. **** the hype.

SlavikSvensk
24-02-2006, 03:54 AM
well, the early chicago records on trax, etc. to me seem to have as much in common with today's techno as first wave detroit records. i love detroit, and give it mad props, but don't like it when people get their blinders on and ignore all the other artists and movements instrumental in shaping this music. found that mentality a lot in the jolly state of michigan a good decade+ ago...see it on a certain other forum as well quite often ;)

Ritzi Lee
24-02-2006, 06:11 AM
You know what the funny part is. Everybody talking about industrial this, and unique and I don't care that: They all repeat the words said back in 1987.... It's so funny history repeating itself. You wouldn't denny techno was also an inspiration from the industrial side of music. Ask Atkins.... :P

ds2
24-02-2006, 08:53 AM
just a thought before you all right it off...

wavefrom transmissions, minimal nation, drexciya, hardwax, extremist,
inteferon + alan oldham, jam the box, denham & black nation...

there's alot more to it than the watered down wishy washy melodic shite
that passes for detroit techno these days.

it used to be that euro producers like slater, voorn, rachmad were
labelled detroit style artists now it's all this tech-house garbage.

it's become just another genre.

Miromiric
24-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Pseudo Peni$ envy Mark.
I know he isn't racist!
Lol.

lol, you ****ing african-american you :-D

Miromiric
24-02-2006, 09:44 AM

i don`t hate it, i`m just saying there is a lot of history missing there. techno has such a huge background, but people constaNtly repeat the same thing about those detroit guys. they just named the thing and were not the first or last who made techno.
i cannot say i respect them, simply `cause i have no ****ing idea how their music sounds like and i cannot say i disrespect them for the same reason ;)
they obviously played a huge part for some people, but not for me. if they never existed there would still be techno, maybe camouflaged under a different name.
the thing is, i strongly believe that what techno actually stands for as idea is a bit more then 20 years old.

Miromiric
24-02-2006, 09:46 AM

that`s right.

Akkachar
24-02-2006, 10:18 AM
im not too kind about detroit and stuff ( most of the times its too sweat and warm, and i cant stand that jazzy stuff) and when i see them play they make my arsch itch... but when it comes to releases of mills, hood and some ur thingies they've my full attention...

Sunil
24-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Good stuff
Elaborate killa!

Well, I'll give an example or two...

One of my favourite 'techno' tracks of last year was by Fourtet, from his album. It wouldn't be classed as techno, you wouldn't hear many techno DJs playing it, but there's no doubt to me what it was and what it sounded like... and that was techno. It had techno sounds, it shuffled a lot, it was experimental, and it totally rocks.

Likewise harder techno wise I've found producers like Bryan Fury to be making stuff that excites me in the same way that hard techno from the past did. It's hardcore that he makes, and if you drop one of his tracks at a techno night people can go totally nuts because it is unexpected, it sounds different in tempo and is basically more off the hook. But it is not classed strictly as techno.

The examples I've given are stuff that's on the fringes of techno in a way, obviously there's loads of stuff that has 'techno' attributes but is something entirely different in name or style. I guess the point I'm making is that you can hear and capture a similar kind of 'techno' feeling in other styles, far quicker than you would in techno nowadays. I'm not being negative, but I think many people are too keen to look into the past and give credit where it has already been given a million times, than forget about it, embrace new styles and really look into the future. Techno as we know it has basically run its course in terms of innovation, the lines have been drawn and most of it is safe. Maybe if we became less sacred about the word, the scene might become more exciting or diverse.

SlavikSvensk
24-02-2006, 05:00 PM
i don't see why people can't simultaneously give props to detroit and also the other influences on our music. but for a lot of people, it's got to be one or the other...

dirty_bass
24-02-2006, 05:32 PM
We stand on the shoulders of many, from all parts of the music spectrum, there isn`t time to give credit to all those it is due to.

SlavikSvensk
24-02-2006, 05:38 PM
We stand on the shoulders of many, from all parts of the music spectrum, there isn`t time to give credit to all those it is due to.

sure there is. that's one of the reasons we all spend so damned much time on this forum :)

The Overfiend
24-02-2006, 05:48 PM
I am happy to see what people have to say here finally!
Hey Miro, I'm not black, I just play one on Tv.

xfive
24-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey Miro, I'm not black, I just play one on Tv.

And even then, it's only on the weekends.

Mindful
24-02-2006, 09:13 PM
I hate that show, it sucks

278d7e64a374de26f==