PDA

View Full Version : for anyone using a crack copy of ableton live...

rhythmtech
01-03-2006, 11:35 AM
a lot of people have noticed that their copy of live stops working after a while and suddenly states that a security error has occured. re-installation isnt an option as something in the registry prevents it. there is a reason for this.

It's called "Fade" the new trend in copy protection.

You make your software easy to crack with techniques crackers are used to
using. Then you include a 2nd layer of copy protection that takes months to
kick in. Because of the time delay crackers have real trouble testing their
crack against a fade and won't know the crack hasn't worked for quite some
time.

devolpers have been using this in the gaming world for quite some time now so it was ineveitable to spill over into the music software industry.

i'm just glad this was one piece of software that i was willing to pay for.

etnarama
01-03-2006, 11:37 AM
**** ME!!!

TechMouse
01-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Programmers are clever boys.

loopdon
01-03-2006, 12:11 PM
the H20 version apparently is stable, the Beat versions before weren't. but if you really want to use this software, you should pay for it as always. and live is a truely great program, imho. and they do listen to user ideas/requests.

I know for a fact that loads of people did buy it just out of frustration. So the plan worked, obviously. Actually that is an idea one could have thought of before, innit..

MARKEG
01-03-2006, 12:16 PM
yup i can confirm the h20 version is stable. a friend of mine told me.

he also told me that there was a way of getting round the protection on the beat versions but it wasnt in the nfo fil that came with the crk, so frustrated alot of ppl.

i always have said, if you use a certain crack alot and it's contributing to your job, you really should go out and buy it. the more cash coming in, the better the chances the developers can really push the software imo

Dave Elyzium
01-03-2006, 01:02 PM
strange idea maybe but i was thinkign the other day about programmers using premiuim text messages as a way of paying for software...for example you get a demo of the software..and rather than paying a huge lump up front, you text away to them, recievce your reg code and in return u are sent a charged text message every month or coupla weeks at a fiver a time......what you reckon?

alsynthe
01-03-2006, 01:16 PM
thats a pretty good idea dave

Dave Elyzium
01-03-2006, 01:29 PM
thanks haha

dirty_bass
01-03-2006, 01:33 PM
I had a crack copy of ableton for a week, I soon realised it was great, and that I would be doing gigs with this software, so I bought it.
However, I was lucky, I got a copy of live lite 4 with my soundcard, so I could then update to full live for half the price.

loopdon
01-03-2006, 02:04 PM
yup i can confirm the h20 version is stable. a friend of mine told me.

he also told me that there was a way of getting round the protection on the beat versions but it wasnt in the nfo fil that came with the crk, so frustrated alot of ppl.

i always have said, if you use a certain crack alot and it's contributing to your job, you really should go out and buy it. the more cash coming in, the better the chances the developers can really push the software imo

i think it has something to do with making a cfg file only readable... heard that..
things like that just interest me - for a scientific reason one could say..

Jay Pace
01-03-2006, 04:05 PM
I thought the limitation on ableton live was just disabling the save function?

I got a demo of live 5, and from my understanding I could use it live without buying it, but I couldn't save anything I did.

Have I got this wrong?

rhythmtech
01-03-2006, 04:34 PM
no you're right. we're talking about the actual crack thats doin the rounds.

Jay Pace
01-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Good. Cause I think thats an ace strategy - limited functionality.
You get get to grips with it thoroughly, and will more than likely go on to buy it if you use it enough. Not sure I have a use for it at the mo', but really good knowing that I can at any time play about with it.

30 day trials are a bag of shite. I'm not booking a month of work so that I can get to grips with a software package.

findthesolution
01-03-2006, 05:12 PM
strange idea maybe but i was thinkign the other day about programmers using premiuim text messages as a way of paying for software...for example you get a demo of the software..and rather than paying a huge lump up front, you text away to them, recievce your reg code and in return u are sent a charged text message every month or coupla weeks at a fiver a time......what you reckon?

damn thats a good idea.

Jay Pace
01-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Or maybe you could rent copies?

JohnnySideways
01-03-2006, 05:55 PM
ahem..if anyone has the H2o crack...it'd REALLY apreciate a PM..
for research purposes only of course :eyes:

- no open requests for pirated copies here, please - /loopdon

rhythmtech
01-03-2006, 08:14 PM
well after all my procrastinating about buying this software i've just discovered that its fecked!!!! i got the lite version with my souncard and i thought great its only 4 channels but thats ok for now with the xtra midi... but one thing they fail to mention is that they only allow 2 fx per channel.. i'm rightly pissed off and now i gotta go back to using 5.2 beta which runs out on the 6th march.. and i'm broke... GOD DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!

loopdon
01-03-2006, 09:09 PM
i suppose they will have another beta to follow that one up :cheese:

rhythmtech
01-03-2006, 09:22 PM
theres a beta of 6 due soon.. but i dont wanna go back to problems.. the 5.2beta is quite stable

JohnnySideways
02-03-2006, 10:12 AM
sorry man, i'd never have started a topic on the subject!

danielmarshall
02-03-2006, 11:05 AM
DRM is ghey. I don't dissagree with copy protection - developers have a right to protect their intellectual property, but I seriously dislike vendors sneakily installing stuff behind my back. They're as bad as spyware authors sometimes. Just look at the Sony debacle!

I believe Autodesk have a scheme in action similar to what Dave's talking about. Limited time licencing is a great idea, and should hopefully become the way the future for large software packages like Logic Audio and Pro Tools. The system encourages people to pay for software by reducing the apprehention to purchace a piece of software just to evaluate it. Otherwise you'll be like most people (including myself on occation I have to admit) and just pirate it.

278d7e64a374de26f==