PDA

View Full Version : Kevin saunderson??

FORCE 5
22-08-2003, 01:15 AM
mmmm now im gonna sound like a twat

but to be honest ive heard of him being one of the pioneers of techno...but cant say ive heard any of his tunes(perhaps i have but i couldnt point it out).

hes down here in NZ next month and im just wondering what sort of sound to expect out of him...and is it worth a 4hr drive to go and see him or not?

DJPAUZE
22-08-2003, 02:34 AM
hmmmmmmmmm im gonna throw in my two cents and will probably get myself killed.
What saunderson has done for techno is great! Hes done some great pieces over the years.
In terms of would i go to see him for a 4 hour drive, not at all. I think his sound is quite boring. Detroit techno doesnt take me to the level that it used to i guess.

Pauze :twisted:

FORCE 5
22-08-2003, 02:52 AM
Yeah i thought as much

handbag house huh?

DJPAUZE
22-08-2003, 04:13 AM
lol that was too funny force!
handbag house bwahahahhahahahahahhaha
um so yeah his sound isnt as powerful as it used to be in my opinion, any one else got somefin to say?????????

Pauze :twisted:

Esox Lucius
22-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Saunderson isn't really doing it for me at the moment.

tioneb
22-08-2003, 07:36 AM
the remix on zenit is very good imo.

as dj suanderson spins great tunes, expect **** and slamming trakcs with detroit influence... a bit in the derrick may style, but aless dynamic =)

go|plastic
22-08-2003, 10:08 AM
If you go see Kevin Saunderson, that 4 hour drive will be the highlight of your day, imo.

but to be honest ive heard of him being one of the pioneers of techno

Nah dude - you're thinking of The Prodigy! :D

*waits for flamefest*

Esox Lucius
22-08-2003, 10:28 AM
if you want good detroit sheeeeet, check out DJ Bone.

tioneb
22-08-2003, 10:47 AM
yeah dj bone really rocks. ive been told rolando is very good too.

that wont replace the funky may and mills ;o)

Esox Lucius
22-08-2003, 10:49 AM
I would rather see Bone or Suburban Knight over Mills or May anyday.

kROKar
23-08-2003, 04:21 PM
I think I heard Sunderson live on new year.
Was realy a nice change, kinda realy Dark techno. Realy realy dark :)

tioneb
23-08-2003, 05:47 PM
I would rather see Bone or Suburban Knight over Mills or May anyday.

well they dont really play the same music actually .. mills and ma play more tribal stuff...

heard pennington at UR night @ rex in may ... he was good but the night was special ... i guess he doesnt have often mad mike playing the keyboards behind him while he plays

Angrymann
25-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Saunderson and May together on four decks was one of the best things I have ever seen. Two blokes that know exactly what the other is going to do. It was really good to watch.

I don't dig their production stuff , but you can tell it's been well thought out though , not just tracks for the sake of tracks.

Buttman
25-08-2003, 06:57 PM
Does Inner City ring a bell? It was Saunderson's commercial project. Quite hard hitting at the time.

mpeee
21-12-2003, 12:54 AM
. :dontevengothere: ...you are full of shit!!!sorry about that but saunderson might not be the right dj for all of you,but at least so a little respect to KEVIN SAUNDERSON! :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

MARKEG
21-12-2003, 12:57 AM
i love kevin saunderson.. were it not for him, we wouldn't be here now.

you simply have to respect the innovators and saunderson was one of the three.

The Overfiend
22-12-2003, 07:15 AM
You need to respect him. My man was playing hard techno when some of us were playin with transformers.

Agent Orange NYC
22-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Yes much respect to Saunderson. He has played twice here in NY this month. The first time at Christian Smith's, Tronic Treatment party, where he blew the roof off with lots of Detriot classics and even some newer tribal techno. And this last saturday with Misstress Barbara were he was ok, but catered to the crowd which was very housey.

Very nice guy. My only issue would be his mixing could be a bit tighter.

Then again, IMO I've never heard a smooth DJ from Detroit ;) . Don't kill me for that one, I'm not saying everybody, just the more popular one's Atkins, May, Mills. All great tunes, but all rough dj's. Just my opinion after seeing them all at least 6+ times. Agent O.

professor
22-12-2003, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure Detroit Techno dj's are really concerned about being tight the whole time. It's like they are teetering on the edge of wrecking all the time...and that's what adds to the tension and dynamic. All this aside from the fact that some of them mix a record every minute or so. AND beat match on the fly, full volume.

guess it's just part of the style.

Sam_Horam
23-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Never had the chance to see him play...

But the guy is a legend...

So much good music he's made...

Esox Lucius
23-12-2003, 11:33 PM
he has made some excellent tracks in his time & ran an excellent label in KMS, I have nothing but respect for the man, not a bad dj too.

crime
23-12-2003, 11:39 PM
All great tunes, but all rough dj's.

Maybe that's what makes them exciting...
Forget the planned seamless mix practiced in the bedroom, wacking in the tunes that are right for the crowd at the time, that's what makes it exciting..
goes back to the old conundrum, what would you rather hear, boring records mixed seamlessly or interesting records slapped together...

The Overfiend
24-12-2003, 02:36 AM
Good Call.

Agent Orange NYC
24-12-2003, 04:48 PM
goes back to the old conundrum, what would you rather hear, boring records mixed seamlessly or interesting records slapped together...[/quote]

IMO- I'd rather hear a intresting mixes put together smoothly. :cool:
the only exeption should be 3 decks at once

jake
25-12-2003, 01:09 AM
dj bone is good but he plays the same set over and over and over again. kevin saunderson and derrick may have much more variety now a days even though may used to play the same set over and over and over again :-p kms and mayday did a 2x4 tour a year or 2 ago and i must say it was spectacular!!!!!!!

Ritzi Lee
25-12-2003, 08:39 AM
All great tunes, but all rough dj's.

Maybe that's what makes them exciting...
Forget the planned seamless mix practiced in the bedroom, wacking in the tunes that are right for the crowd at the time, that's what makes it exciting..
goes back to the old conundrum, what would you rather hear, boring records mixed seamlessly or interesting records slapped together...

And because of this i get the real techno kinda feeling.

But if you see a european dj do this the people are always nagging about how many mistakes the guy makes... they now even do this with the Detroit guys..... I wonder why the people over here always want to hear a tight mix.

DROID
30-12-2003, 09:09 AM
saunderson is the SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for his older tracks...look for names like innercity, edancer, tronik house, reese blahblah

a variety of styles by him that range from brutal detroit techno, early breaky hardcore, hard detroit house, tribal house and even vocal house/techno anthems (innercity-big fun, good life, etc)

as a dj he's more on the hard tribal house tip lately. he does throw in alot of detroit classics along with shit by sims, gary martin, and other precussive funksters.

definitly go check him out. his edgy mixing adds to the energy of his already pumping tracks

katya
30-12-2003, 10:23 PM
With much respect to the Detroit pioneers:

Both, Saunderson and May are either hit or miss. Their tunes are good, but the mixing is not always. I saw May in Detroit twice last year and the tracks he was playing were killer, but his mixing was really shaky both times. Then, I saw him last month at a club in Chicago and his mixing was right on. :?: Same could be said for Saunderson - good tracks but not always good mixing.

katya
30-12-2003, 10:27 PM
Then again, IMO I've never heard a smooth DJ from Detroit ;) . Don't kill me for that one, I'm not saying everybody, just the more popular one's Atkins, May, Mills. All great tunes, but all rough dj's. Just my opinion after seeing them all at least 6+ times. Agent O.

CHECK OUT DJ TWONZ, HE'S NOT AS PROMINENT AS JEFF, DERRICK OR JUAN, BUT DEFINITELY ROCKS THE DECKS!

tioneb
30-12-2003, 11:43 PM
i like untight djs i dont care aobut their from detroit or not.. i just thnik if they are funky eveyrthing is allowed !!!

personnaly when i paly i dont care about being tight or not, and i dont thnik its pretnetious to sya i could be more tight if i would care (many djs on this are tight, so they know what i mean)

but damn, doing cutting tricks and eqing things instead on using the pitch coz your hearing the records are "slipping" is more funney... ihavent got a 3rd had for x mas

tioneb
30-12-2003, 11:44 PM
damn , and my boss shouted at me today coz of my typos................

278d7e64a374de26f==